Home LAN parameters: Can't connect my m8's notebook

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I want to share my DSL with my housemate by creating a small LAN. After some initial thoughts we concluded that the best approach (and cheapest) would be to buy a second NIC for my PC and activate the ICS in Windows XP.

So here is the situation: I have a DSL modem which connects to my first NIC. The ISP uses an unusual VPN connection (tunnelling) to do the remote connection. The second NIC connects to my housemate's notobook directly via a cross-cable (thanx to Doug and energy for this).

Both connections work fine, I still can connect to the modem (Internet) and the notebook (a cool 100Mbit) but I can't do right the ICS... what's going wrong?

I ran the ICS in both computers but the notebook is not creating any other icon to make evident that the ICS has been successful. And of course, his notebook can't connect to the Internet.

Is there something I'm overlooking? Please help me.

Here is what I see:
snap022.jpg

Right now the notebook is not on that's why the second LAN appears disconnected.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
I've noticed in the Internet Options of IE6 there are some options regarding the connections (dial-up, VPN, LAN)...

Can one see and tell me if I have to change something there (at the notebook)?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Only one of your machines should be running ICS, first of all. The other should be configured for automatic assignment an IP address.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Yep, that's already done. And when I see the properties I see that I have a static-fixed internal (LAN) IP and my friend has dynamic. And it should be OK cause my gateway is the IP of the modem and his gateway is my PC... :)
I just don't know... Shouldn't my friend's notebook show anything else in the Network Connections tab?

The connection between both computers has been done successfully at 100Mbit. The ICS has been run to share my first NIC (the one that connects to the modem)-- and the notebook, through ICS, has been instructed to connect via the second NIC...

Wait a minute... when I run the ICS at my PC I have 4 options: it asks me which connection is for the Internet... 1st NIC, 2nd NIC, the 1394 (SB's onboard FireWire), and my ISP's VPN...

Windows XP's help says that I must share the NIC and not the connection as it is, even if I have an ethernet DSL modem. I remember (back in the old SR forums) one had told me that it is strange that my ISP connects via a VPN (PPTP) and not PPPoE...

Anything else?

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Guys, I'm almost sure that it's the darn VPN (PPTP) that I can't connect.

I did the ICS manually, without the Wizard, and my friend's notebook created an icon showing my PC (Local Area Connection on PROFWIZARD)... he even exchanges some packets now and then... but IE isn't working yet... :(

How do DSL ISPs work in the USA? PPPoE or PPTP? Where can I find ICS information?!

Mercutio

Either way. Sometimes none of the above. Your machine probably isn't adding his forwarded packets to the stuff it's passing through the VPN, it's just blindly throwing them out on the interface.

Brainfried at the moment. I'll look and see what I can see when I get home tonight and have books and stuff.

Handruin

Administrator
Could winXP's firewall be causing any problem in this mix? I think by default it is enabled. I haven't made an Internet connection like this before so I'm not of much use here. I know there are additional settings that can be configured for the port if you click the settings tab under the section where the firewall is enabled.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
That's right. When you run the ICS Wizard Windows XP enables by default the internal firewall. I deactivated it but nothing.

Also, when I did manually the ICS I left the firewall off. And even the Norton Personal Firewall deactivated!

Mercutio

I'll be getting to you shortly, Prof. I've got my nice stack of MCSE books to see if there's something stupid about ICS I'm forgetting. But we'll see. Just let me do a pass through here and SR...

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
So, if I understood correctly... I'll have to create a VPN connection to the notebook with same connection data as the primary one.

And gateway? The modem or the ICS host (my computer)?

You know, this is a delicate matter cause I don't know what happens if my ISP detects two computers trying to connect with the same VPN at the same time. Perhaps they disable my account... :(

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Depending upon the network, all clients may be able to connect to the secure network as the same account that initially established the VPN connection. For example, if you establish a VPN connection to a corporate network on a computer running ICS, all the clients connected to the ICS Host may be able to connect to all the network resources on your corporate network.

Huh? :-?
Isn't this I'm trying to do?

Sol

Storage is cool
I've come across pretty much the same problem at a couple of LAN nights. When the host leaves the room there is generally a short rush whilst everyone configures their computers to leach off his cable internet.

The quikest solution I've found (Although its not a very elegant one) is to run the set up home or small office network wizard on both computers and then fix the IP addresses which win XP stuffs up(Well sort of, it sets the IPs to be assigned dynamically which I hate, still works though). Alternatly don't (fix the IPs) as somtimes it doesn't work if you do.

The other option would be to try disabling internet sharing and creating a network bridge between the LAN and WAN port. I'm not sure if this would work but it might be worth a try if your stuck.

The wizard will muck arround with your settings quite a bit so it might be worth making a restore point before trying any of this.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Do-oh!

Do-oh... I found what it was... damn Wizards... :lol:

Interestingly enough, I had to share the VPN connection directly (I didn't know there was a setting to share that too) and not [share] the Ethernet adapter with the DSL modem as the Windows guide (online help) says... :-?

I had to do manually the ICS on the VPN and now the notebook connects just fine... :D

My friend can't connect to Kazaa though... why?

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
He should set Kazaa to passive mode. If it has that setting.

I know I have to do this for FTP and Direct Connect on my machine.