How to deal with wind chill?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Today is kind of blustery, read 25 mile an hour winds blowing off the Sierras. It's 40 degrees, with a steady 26 knot wind. That works out to a wind chill of 13 or 28 degrees, depending if you are using the old or new wind chill calculator.

So, the question is, how do you get to the the beach, out of your clothes, and into your wetsuit without being frozen?

When you enter 50 degree water, and the wind chill is 13-28, how come your hands and feet are numb?

Also, what thickness wetsuit would work in 50 degree water, with a 13-28 degree wind chill?

By the way, this is pretty typical of the conditions when the surf is decent here.

Sometimes the water is 48, and the wind only 8-15. Sometimes it's between 35-40.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Personally, I deal with wind chill by wearing layer after layer of clothes and not taking any of them off while I'm out of doors.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I do the same. I've tried using long underwear under the wetsuit, so I don't have to expose skin. I've also got a full body suit, but, my metabolism kicks in at the beach, and if its good, my system wants to clear itself. Peeing in your wetsuit is a wonderful thing in such conditions, but, taking a dump is really cold, usually in a really disgusting toliet, and difficult.
Long underwear for the first layer is a good move. At least you can take a dump.
That doesn't really work, but it's better then nothing.

This all got started because I was going through the closet, and noticed an Xcel wetsuit, 4/3, that is really nice. I got it wholesale through a sponsored friend in Hawaii,
Ken Bradshaw. I was thinking of selling it, since if you look at tables, a 4/3 mm is really marginal for 48-52 degree water. Even in the summer it rarely gets over 57.
It's one of the top suits on the market, but, doesn't have a hood, sometimes a good thing, but rarely up here.

It's dawned on me that the stuff I've been surfing in, except for one modified dive suit,
has always been too thin for the conditions, and, combine that with the trauma of having to dress at the beach, and it's always a freezing experience.

ddrueding

Fixture
I deal with windchill by staying indoors. I thought Merc would do the same. The walk to/from the car can be managed in just about anything.

Handruin

Administrator
Today is kind of blustery, read 25 mile an hour winds blowing off the Sierras. It's 40 degrees, with a steady 26 knot wind. That works out to a wind chill of 13 or 28 degrees, depending if you are using the old or new wind chill calculator.

So, the question is, how do you get to the the beach, out of your clothes, and into your wetsuit without being frozen?

When you enter 50 degree water, and the wind chill is 13-28, how come your hands and feet are numb?

Also, what thickness wetsuit would work in 50 degree water, with a 13-28 degree wind chill?

By the way, this is pretty typical of the conditions when the surf is decent here.

Sometimes the water is 48, and the wind only 8-15. Sometimes it's between 35-40.

Wear the wetsuit to the beach under all your layers.

Mercutio

I deal with windchill by staying indoors. I thought Merc would do the same. The walk to/from the car can be managed in just about anything.

I try to walk outside if there isn't snow on the ground. Last year I got to a point where I was wearing three pairs of socks and three pairs of gloves though.

Handruin

Administrator
I try to walk outside if there isn't snow on the ground. Last year I got to a point where I was wearing three pairs of socks and three pairs of gloves though.

Now I understand why you don't like capacitive touch smart phones. You wear too many gloves!

Mercutio

Usually I wear a pair of thin wool gloves under a pair of mittens. That lets me have dexterity if I need it, but it doesn't help for "slide to talk."

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
"Wear the wetsuit to the beach under all your layers."

The wetsuit is a 6/5/4 and has a hood. Probably wouldn't need any other layers. However, the drive is 45 minutes to 2 hours, depending no traffic.

Certainly be hot by the time you got there. Might work, since one of the problems is arriving at the beach after the drive, in the morning stiff, and cold, and neither is helpful when you are trying to be loose, and enjoy the pounding you take getting out.

I have taken 10 gallon gas cans and designated them after the surf cans. You fill them up with hot water before you leave the house, then pour the hot water over your head after surfing. Works great for the drive home, and taking the wetsuit off, plus, the water cleans off the salt water as you get undressed.

I was looking at the 35 gallon cat litter plastic container. That might be even better.
Bigger the container, the more the fluid, the less heat loss.

I might wear long, polypropelene underwear to the beach, put the wetsuit on, then pour hot water into the suit.

Now I have to figure out the booting and glove thing. The stuff I used in Hawaii is way to thin for over here. They now make 7mm booties, and some gloves like that. Have to see what the hot setup is. With the high flexibility rubber, it's a brave new world.

Also giving serious thought to a battery powered heat vest, waterproof of course.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture

:rotfl: So true. You are also from CA, correct?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
David is too smart, and young, to try and feed the Great Whites.

I've gotten over the ego thing of:
"Man, your wearing a hood and it's hot.(It's offshore, water 48, and 15 miles an hour)."

Turns out I had the right idea in the early 70's, but, the rubber was good, for what I had. I just didn't go far enough.

When you are sitting here, after doing 4 full on basketball games, and dealing with a cramping ham string, you get over the stupid ideas from your youth, and look at the reality, and deal with it.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Layers works for me. If it's really cold, I need a nylon windbreaker somewhere among the layers. We're actually finally getting into good cycling weather around here (by my standards, anyway), so long at it stays above about 35°F.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
"URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA
256 AM PST MON DEC 5 2011

CAZ510-051645-
/O.NEW.KMTR.FR.Y.0005.111206T0900Z-111206T1700Z/
EAST BAY INTERIOR VALLEYS-

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM PST TUESDAY FOR EAST
BAY VALLEYS...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SAN FRANCISCO HAS ISSUED A FROST
ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM PST TUESDAY.

* TEMPERATURES: TEMPERATURES OF 30 TO 35 ARE FORECAST FOR LATE
MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS: DAMAGE TO SENSITIVE PLANTS CAN BE EXPECTED IN AREAS
THAT DROP INTO THE LOWER 30S. TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST TO RECOVER
QUICKLY AS THE SUN RISES TUESDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR
PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.
"

Handruin

Administrator
"URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA

CAZ510-051645-
/O.NEW.KMTR.FR.Y.0005.111206T0900Z-111206T1700Z/
EAST BAY INTERIOR VALLEYS-

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM PST TUESDAY FOR EAST
BAY VALLEYS...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SAN FRANCISCO HAS ISSUED A FROST
ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 9 AM PST TUESDAY.

* TEMPERATURES: TEMPERATURES OF 30 TO 35 ARE FORECAST FOR LATE
MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING.

* IMPACTS: DAMAGE TO SENSITIVE PLANTS CAN BE EXPECTED IN AREAS
THAT DROP INTO THE LOWER 30S. TEMPERATURES ARE FORECAST TO RECOVER
QUICKLY AS THE SUN RISES TUESDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR
PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.
"

That's urgent??! :rotfl: I was out visiting a friend and it was 30F outside and I went with a sweatshirt and jeans.

Warning, your plants may die. Don't leave them outdoors or uncovered.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup, tonight it should be 31F...but by tomorrow it will be back up to 34F. That may be one of only two or three freezing nights all year.

Mercutio

Today I'm wearing a Tshirt, a heavy cotton henley and a button down shirt. I have on hiking socks under a pair of dressier socks. It's not THAT cold outside, but the feud with our landlord is at such a place that when I came in to the office last Monday, they'd had the heat to our part of the building shut off all weekend.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Wine industry production was 18-19 billion US dollars last year. One of the things I enjoy about NorKal is being able to drive to Marin and Sac for work, and the wide open spaces. I can drive for 2 hours in Napa and Sonoma and still be in vineyards.

Those 'plants' are a huge industry, along with the other crops grown in Kali, and a frost warning is a huge deal.

As a general rule, that means freezing air is blowing off the Sierras towards the ocean, which also means, freezing, but excellent surf.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Today I'm wearing a Tshirt, a heavy cotton henley and a button down shirt. I have on hiking socks under a pair of dressier socks. It's not THAT cold outside, but the feud with our landlord is at such a place that when I came in to the office last Monday, they'd had the heat to our part of the building shut off all weekend.

I'm not even sure what all those clothes are, but you seriously need to look for a better job.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
Depriving the tennant of heat is getting pretty far down the get your ass sued, and loose, if you are a landlord.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's 9 am and it's still 34 degrees. Bloody freezing, with 79% Humidity.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
For what it's worth, Carhart coats, jackets, and other outer clothing is wind proof and extreamly warm.

Mercutio

I have a wool officer's trenchcoat that was Communist-era Czech Army surplus.
Now I just need my furry hat.

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
I have a Pacific Trail down jacket that is super warm, and works on mornings like this, when it's 32.5 degrees, and I have to go to work in a barn, with little or no heat.

Better get the layers going...

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It's 79%humidity, and thats what makes it FEEL REALLY cold. It's not like a snow cold.

The vest worked. I needed something that wasn't bulky. It goes under a compression shirt, and, when it starts to feel real cold, I switch it on high for a couple minutes. The heating pad, on the lower back area, gets warm quickly, then I turn it down. It's not as hot as I'd hoped, but it's enough. Also, I haven't used the high setting for long, so I really shouldn't say that.
Fit's tight, looks good, and was perfect for doing volleyball in a freezing convention center before the heat kicked in.

Today it's a raining 42, going to freezing tonight.

It was so cold yesterday morning I was feeling it through long underwear, and pants.

Handruin

Administrator
Thanks for the weather update. lol 39F and climbing here. Tomorrow is 52F and rain.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
It has been between 60 and 70 for the last two weeks. I gave up on wearing my coat to work. It is now 71 and rainy.

Handruin

Administrator
I'm still wearing a fleece to work. I've resisted breaking out the coat so far.