How to tell 7K1000's from 7K1000.B's

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Does anyone know how I can figure out whether a store is stocking the new, 3-platter 7K1000.B or the older 7K1000?

Also, I'm in Canada, which might change the model numbers (not sure there), and Canadian retailers definitely don't seem to be noting the 7K1000.B revision by including the B. They seem to be micing them all together.

I've found two models available locally so far: the 0A35155, and the 0A38016. I'm not sure if either is a 7K1000.B. I've been doing some Googling, but haven't made progress thus far.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
What I have determined so far is that the 0A35155 model seems to have 32MB cache. I'm not sure if that makes it newer or older though. Also when I Google for 0A38016 I get quite a few advertised 7K1000.B's, but when I Google 0A35155, I get very few. The 7K1000.B's, when I can find a model number all seem to 0A38016.

The question remains however, is this 0A35155, 32MB model a nice, new, higher-end part (due to the 32MB buffer) or is it old and busted?

It's pretty annoying how vague manufacturers have gotten about their model revisions these days. This is not how I like to spend my available time.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
So apparently there's a 7K1000.C? Didn't know about that.

32MB buffer's versions are available.

Maybe this is our 0A35155. All the model numbers listed on the data sheet have no relation to what online stores list. Classic...

P.S. Sorry for this running train of thought. Hopefully someone else finds it useful.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The Hitachi 1TB drive is the cheapest 1TB drive I can get these days, but my supplier doesn't provide a model number, just some basic specifications. I have one in stock at the store, but I'm not working there today so I cannot verify what I have. It wouldn't make sense for Hitachi to still sell the older three-platters model because they certainly cost more to produce (more parts needed for the drive). It's been a while since they've introduced the two-platters version and I don't think they could have built that many drives to still be selling their older model's overstock.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Okay, I got it figured out.

0A35155 = older version, not really available any more
0A38016 = 7K1000.B current version

And there's a 7K1000.C coming, but it was only just announced and isn't available anywhere yet.

paugie

Storage is cool
Tell me about it. I just picked up 4 at a local Ottawa store for CAN$80 each!

The Hitachi 1TB drive is the cheapest 1TB drive I can get these days, but my supplier doesn't provide a model number, just some basic specifications. I have one in stock at the store, but I'm not working there today so I cannot verify what I have. It wouldn't make sense for Hitachi to still sell the older three-platters model because they certainly cost more to produce (more parts needed for the drive). It's been a while since they've introduced the two-platters version and I don't think they could have built that many drives to still be selling their older model's overstock.

this confused me a bit. just reading through the thread, I assumed you both were talking of the same capacity drives. Well apparently Gilbo was talking of a 250Gb drive and Coug mentioned a 1Tb drive.

What model number was this 1Tb drive you purchased for Can$80? Maybe I will ask my sister to buy one (or two) for me. Or maybe that Samsung 1.5Tb drive mentioned in the "wrong drive" thread, if it can be purchased at a similar lower cost.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Let's see how many defective ones you get. I wasted about $300 of my time so far. Writing is fine, then in reading there is at least one unreadable sector.

paugie

Storage is cool
am still using this Dell Latitude D500 hand me down from my "niece" It has a 40gb internal hard disk from which I am always deleting files to keep it from becoming full.

now I purchased a seagate 160gb laptop drive and a USB enclosure so I can just offload the files I usually delete.

my problem is I now have 3 drives on external USB enclosures and I find it frustrating having to plug them in and out successively just to look for a picture or driver or some other document I need. GRRRRR!

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
am still using this Dell Latitude D500 hand me down from my "niece" It has a 40gb internal hard disk from which I am always deleting files to keep it from becoming full.

now I purchased a seagate 160gb laptop drive and a USB enclosure so I can just offload the files I usually delete.

my problem is I now have 3 drives on external USB enclosures and I find it frustrating having to plug them in and out successively just to look for a picture or driver or some other document I need. GRRRRR!

How about getting a USB hub?

paugie

Storage is cool
that may be a solution... but I'm thinking the 5V USB power of the laptop may not be sufficient to power all the drives at once. the 160gb won't power up with just one port connected, I have to use 2 USB ports to power the drive up properly.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
that may be a solution... but I'm thinking the 5V USB power of the laptop may not be sufficient to power all the drives at once. the 160gb won't power up with just one port connected, I have to use 2 USB ports to power the drive up properly.

Can you plug the drives into wall power rather than relying on USB power? Otherwise, there are powered USB hubs you could look at.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
How is the power stability there paugie? You may want to continue using your laptop to feed the external drives to avoid corruption should the power go out with the external drive plugged into the wall.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
How is the power stability there paugie? You may want to continue using your laptop to feed the external drives to avoid corruption should the power go out with the external drive plugged into the wall.

You can always turn off write caching if corruption is an issue.

paugie

Storage is cool
the power is stable enough. there was a time when we had 4-6 hour brownouts every day for a month. but that was 18 years ago.

we are way OT
but why is turning off write caching good when one is afraid data will be corrumpted?

Gilbo

Storage is cool
this confused me a bit. just reading through the thread, I assumed you both were talking of the same capacity drives. Well apparently Gilbo was talking of a 250Gb drive and Coug mentioned a 1Tb drive.

What model number was this 1Tb drive you purchased for Can$80? Maybe I will ask my sister to buy one (or two) for me. Or maybe that Samsung 1.5Tb drive mentioned in the "wrong drive" thread, if it can be purchased at a similar lower cost.

No, I was talking about the 1TB 7K1000.B too.

In Canada the model number is 0A38016.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
but why is turning off write caching good when one is afraid data will be corrumpted?

Write cache stores data that will eventually be written to persistent storage in volatile memory which will lose the data if power is lost.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Model : HDT721010SLA360

(That's a 7K1000.B)

While that is the model number according to Hitachi's website, I never see that number on web ordering pages.

All I ever see is the other number I listed above, if anything. I don't know why this is, but it's why I was so confused at first.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
I didn't pick the number on Hibachi's web site. I read it on the drive's package. My supplier (this one at least) doesn't advertise the model number of its Hibachi drives. It's a surprise every time.

Western Digital's model numbers are clearly shown though.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm about to buy 10 of those Samsung 1.5GB units. I'll see how I do. :)

Interestingly, this batch of drives was not packaged in half a shipping case as I expected it to be. Instead, each drive was placed inside a small cardboard box (the size Newegg uses for RAM and cables and stuff, like 7"x1"x4") that was packed with bubble wrap surrounding the plastic clamshell packaging that Samsung uses.

The drives were spread in several boxes with the rest of my order.

Stereodude

Not really a
My 5 drives I bought were in the Samsung plastic shell, wrapped in several layers of bubble wrap in pairs with a single layer of bubble wrap separating the two drives in the pair. These were then placed in larger box filled with packing peanuts. The 5 shipped from their NJ warehouse.

I haven't unwrapped any of them yet as I have 2 more on the way (also coming from NJ) and am waiting for the Dell Perc 5i card I bought though I may benchmark the ICH10R vs. the Perc 5i.

Stereodude

Not really a
I got the additional 2 drives from Newegg. They were not wrapped in bubble wrap, just their plastic shell. They were placed in the box with the external enclosure and surrounded with packing peanuts.