HP Laptop with Vista: My "New User Experience"

Piyono

Storage is cool
Thursday evening I accompanied a buddy to our friendly, neighbourhood Future Shop for moral and tactical support (to fend off the incessant machine-gun high-pressure up-selling attempts of the commissioned employees) while he purchased a new HP laptop, model (uh, lemme check....) dv2412ca. His most demanding application will be staying awake during late night webcam chats, so I figured that as long as he buys up an extended warranty he'll be OK with pretty much anything in the low end because they're all complete shite, anyway.

I took it straight back home with me, figuring that It would be easier and faster for me to set it up here than to sit on the phone for three hours with him while he freaked out trying to navigate through the first-boot insanity. This would be my first intimate experience with Vista.

The machine, itself, is typical enough of any 14.1" "shallow-screen" (props, Tannin) mass-market beater: really shiny and sporting an array of marketing double-speak stickers. I plugged it in at 11p.m. and let it charge while I went out. I got back at 4 a.m. (don't ask... or do) and fired it up for the first time. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to take notes shortly after hitting the power switch (read: lightly tapping the power button). They go something like this:

• It's been nearly two minutes since I powered on. Nothing's happening yet.
• Something's happening.
• Some sort of configuration.
• More configuration Have to type some stuff in
• Restart or two
• 15 minutes have elapsed since pressing the power button and I'm seeing what appears to be the Vista desktop.
• Still can't do anything
• Multiple and simultaneous messages and windows appear: "Welcome to HP!" "Welcome to Vista!" "You're so lucky to own an HP lapptop with Vista!" "User experience!" "User experience!" "Experience! Experience!"
• Can move the pointer around on screen but clicks don't register yet
• System tray notification appears: "Check your computer security: There are multiple security problems with your computer. Click this notification to fix these problems." Huh? I just turned you on for the first time and already there's a problem?
• Now every preinstalled value-added application wants to update. Simultaneously. Norton. Windows. HP. Java, etc. Total sensory overload, but hey, the computer must know what it wants to do so I'd better listen and agree to all the updates.
• "Cannot connect to the internet" chime six applications in unison. "Error! Error!"
• Oh, well, look at that... the hardware 'wireless' switch is in the "off" position by default. Good thing I know to check, because the setup pamphlet doesn't mention it.
• Now I'm online. Click through all the warnings and mass update continues.
• Updating more or less done. Time elapsed: about 40 minutes.
• A couple of reboots more and I'm at the desktop again. Norton is all in my face.
• This thing boots slower than XP.
• Introducing User Account Control.
• Over an hour after first pressing the power button and updates and warnings are starting to subside.
• Have seen User Account Control about 6 times in the last 20 minutes.
• Turned off all eye candy - immediate, enormous sense of relief.
• Time to uninstall Norton and all the other value-added sludge.

Now, I'm capable of navigating these waters, but I'm in the minority. How can someone of average computer savvy deal with this kind of onslaught? I'm trying to find the right words to express the experience. Overwhelming. Insanity. High-pressure. Stress-inducing. Convoluted. Those are pretty close.
Contrast this with turning on a Mac for the first time and you have to wonder how companies like HP continue to sell computers.

I just don't understand.

Piyono

ddrueding

Fixture
Three thoughts:

1. Job security
2. That tool that cleans all the crap from a new computer automatically
3. 4AM? Getting frisky? ;)

Piyono

Storage is cool
Also, what the hell is up with recovery partitions? Do CDs add too much to the shipping weight? What?

I'm sitting here like a damn fool watching this shitbox trudge through the process of creating recovery discs. 15 minutes in and it's at 55%. Oh, and get this: you can make ONLY ONE COPY of the discs, so heaven help you if you lose it or if the procedure fails partway through for some reason. GOD FORBID someone should make two copies. Imagine the consequences if that second set found its way into into the wrong hands! Disaster!

Piyono

Piyono

Storage is cool
Three thoughts:

1. Job security
2. That tool that cleans all the crap from a new computer automatically
3. 4AM? Getting frisky? ;)

1. Yeah, well, as long as HP puts out machines like this I'll be in business.
2. News to me! What's it called?
3. Frisky. If only. This was just a jam / chillout / swim / barbeque on a rooftop patio (motorized glass ceiling open for fresh air) with a couple of close friends, some burgers, dogs and a bottle of cheap champagne (at $100/bottle it was the cheapest we could find in storage).

Piyono

ddrueding

Fixture
That is the one.

Rooftop pool? $100 champagne? Too bad you are so far away, we could throw some decent parties (I provide women and you provide everything else. ;)

Piyono

Storage is cool
That is the one.

Rooftop pool? $100 champagne? Too bad you are so far away, we could throw some decent parties (I provide women and you provide everything else. ;)

As I understand it this place sees its share of gatherings with wine and women in abundance. So far, though, I've only been there at quieter times.

Piyono

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I provide women and you provide everything else.

Oh. I see how it is. You'll provide women for the maple-syrup-swillin' poutine and Tim Horton's lovers but it'll be a cold day in Palo Alto before you put even ONE chick in a fedex box and ship her off to Indiana!

I'm telling Cougtek about all your plans for an English Only Quebec, sirs, and may god have mercy on your souls. :D

I did a bunch of Thinkpad T61s earlier in the week. The just had some crap from Thinkcenter about configuring the biometric thingy, Norton Internet Security and the usual Vista updates. I think the time to desktop was around 10 minutes and the only thing that came up once Vista actually launched was the usual Welcome Center stuff.

HP/Compaq, Toshiba and Sony are really, really, really hopeless of Out of Box experience. Gateway and Dell are positively angelic in comparison.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
ALL laptops that cross my desk on their way to a user get TOASTED. A fresh clean install of XP is then put on it.
I don't have time to fool with Dell, HP, Gateway, Toshiba.....etc, sewage software.

Bozo :joker:

Piyono

Storage is cool
I did some XP thinkpads a few months back and they were, indeed, a lot faster to desktop than this clunker. But IBM (well, everyone, really) has their own Wireless network configuration overlaid on XPs and it drove me mad for a while. Fingerprint stuff was also pretty annoying.

Piyono

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Whats worse is to buy a new machine immediately do a restore to get out from under all this garbage and then finding out that all that garbage is in the restore for the machine. Dell seems to allow a clean install and they provide disks on the business class machines but HP and Compaq you can't get away from it. Hard drive cooked and the restore was on that? You are fuxored and have to order disks and wait for them to get there. I can think of many things I would like to do rather than starting up a new computer, and this is supposed to be a happy happy joy joy new computer experience??

ddrueding

Fixture
You guys want invites to parties with lots of women? Fine. Get yourselves some basic tango skills (3 months @ 2 hours a week?) and I can set you up 2:1. My GF gets jealous when there are too many women about (apparently I'm a bit flirty) so the extra guys would be a bonus.

Handruin

Administrator
Damn...this white man can't dance. Sounds like a nice ratio of girl/guy though.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Yeah, what the hell man. Send out invites...it's only a 6 hour flight. ;) I'll stop by and pick up Merc on the way.

Next time there's a serious, open-door throwdown with 6 hours notice or more you'll be the first to know.

:)

Piyono

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
It could be worse. My friend bought a 600 dollar laptop, and, by the time he checked out, it was a 1200 dollar laptop, with,
pretty much, NO software. The charges were mainly for installing anti spam and anti virus software, and paying for it, when actually the price should have been lowered for such installations...

Thank you Best Buy.

I got him to return it, prior to pickup. 600 bucks, 4200 rpm drive, etc.

DR GS