HURRY! Dell 3007WFP for 1600$CAD until Jan 20th

CougTek

Serial computer killer
[FLAME]

[Insert vitriolic comment about ALL the outrageous deals you United Statians have had over the years from Dell while we didn't have ANY!]

[/FLAME]

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
<MORE FLAME>
Great deals, mail in rebates (120GB hard drives for $20 etc).

We've heard of them in Aus. Never been able to get them though :x

</MORE FLAME>

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
P5-133XL said:
You Canucks get all the deals...
I'm honestly at a loss for words to explain the recent reversal in fortunes in a few Dell cases....but I don't count on it lasting too long. I'm sure this is just a minor fluctuation and that the regular state of order in the Dell universe will soon be restored.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Me thinks me understood that perfectly -- my post addresses the very humour implied by Mark

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Because you Grand Mother's backyard is probably in the U.S. and the Philippines are far from the U.S. I know Dell isn't a U.S.-only store, but I doubt you can buy a Dell computer in a place like Mozambique for instance.

Still, maybe they sell in Philippines since it is a country with quite a lot of folks in it (more than 80 millions).

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
If you go to Dell's home page there's a drop-list with all of their countries. I don't see the Phillipines explicitly listed.

That said, my employer operates in 32+ countries, including the Phillipines. Dell is our sole global PC/notebook supplier, so I'm pretty sure they have some operations there. Maybe no web store; I'm not sure.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Did I miss news of this somewhere? If this review is for real, it looks like Dell is introducing a follow-up to the 3007WFP, the 3007WFP-HC.

From the article:

"Traditional, standard CCFL backlights have only been able to display about 72 - 76% of the NTSC color gamut.

The Wide CCFL backlight in the new Dell 3007 WFP-HC, however, is able to display 92% of the NTSC color gamut."

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm thinking that a $1700 Sharp 37" 1080p LCD would really be a better deal. The 30" computer displays use a native resolution that is really not all that comfortable and do not work well with non-computer devices.

ddrueding

Fixture
If you are using it for non-computer uses, the additional resolution is completely wasted. There are many lower-resolution displays for less (even larger ones), but what I'm after is the resolution for games and photo editing.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I know that it's not quite the same thing, but why not get four 20" displays instead?

ddrueding

Fixture
I know that it's not quite the same thing, but why not get four 20" displays instead?
AFAIK, there are only 2 games that support multiple monitors; the MS Flight Simulator series and Supreme Commander. So if you are looking at a better gaming experience, you need one large monitor.

And it would probably be flanked by my current pair of VP2130b 22" LCDs ;)

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm thinking that a $1700 Sharp 37" 1080p LCD would really be a better deal. The 30" computer displays use a native resolution that is really not all that comfortable and do not work well with non-computer devices.
I was considering the 32" 1080p Sharp LCD.

ddrueding

Fixture
If all I'm going to do is stretch the image, I'm just going to get a bigger monitor ;)

Those two games are smart enough to directly support multiple monitors; enhancing the gaming experience when you do.

Mercutio

So, really, what are you getting out of 2500x1600 or whatever the hell resolution those 30" monitors support, that you aren't getting out of 1920x1200?

Other than a warmer video card?

ddrueding

Fixture
The following is math that I'm sure Merc is aware of, and I don't mean to sound patronizing in spelling it out.

4096000 pixels (30") vs. 2304000 pixels (24") vs. 3840000 pixels (current 22" 4:3 * 2 monitors)

So a 30" has 178% the space of a 24" and 106% the space of my pair.

The questions really are:

1) Does more pixels give you more productivity above a certain point?
2) Do more monitors give you more productivity than more pixels?

I'll tackle #1

90% of programs aren't appreciably better above 1280*1024 (web, word, e-mail, media players, etc.)

Some programs, however, love more desktop space (spreadsheets, Photoshop, AutoCad, certain games)

Games where higher resolution allows more information to be displayed (Supreme Commander) or where more detailed information is beneficial (any FPS that supports sniping and a long view distance) can give you a distinct advantage.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The equivalent real estate increase as going from 1280 x 1024 to 1900 x 1200. Plus a typical decrease in pixel pitch for a sharper image.

ddrueding

Fixture
More monitors are (I'm told) far more helpful in programming, due to the multiple windows and concurrent processes. The development system I built for my dad has 4 19" LCDs connected to it for this reason.

Handruin

Administrator
More monitors are more helpful for programming. I have dual 19" CRT's at work and I'd love 3x 21" if I could get them. There are times I have 4 instances of visual studio open along with a couple web browsers or CLI apps I'm working on...and sometimes 3 instances of eclipse with one or two web browsers, java docs, etc. It would be nice to have more screen real estate.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
You can never have too much real estate.

Hope to get a 20" Dell screen at work, then I'll take in my 2405 and use them side by side, the horizontal resolution is a perfect match at 1200 pixels.

I'm used to 1600*1200 on a 15" laptop though, so 2560*1600 on a 30" is not really that tight a pixel spacing. I wouldn't mind that rez on the 24 or 27" sizes.

Mercutio

I suppose that I should clarify that I was referring to dd's screen situation with regard to gaming.

He does not seem the type to need a CAD app or IDE open all the time.

Mercutio

Today's woot is a $1050 42" 1080p Westinghouse HDTV. Even as a refurb with a crappy warranty, that is making me regret the fact that I have a very large 720p DLP set.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Today's woot is a $1050 42" 1080p Westinghouse HDTV. Even as a refurb with a crappy warranty, that is making me regret the fact that I have a very large 720p DLP set.

This doesn't have a tuner? Do you think that is a very big drawback? How is Westinghouse in your opinion?

Mercutio

The Westinghouse units are pretty widely recognized as a bargain for the money. I've never personally seen one, but they're certainly nothing to complain about.

Not having a tuner is not an issue unless you actually want to hook up an antenna. The vast majority of the time you're going to have an external cable/satellite box regardless of whether you have the tuner, anyway.

Personally, I'd hook a PC up and buy a $50 ATSC tuner card if I actually cared all that much.

That display is pretty much perfect for an HTPC.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
For me a QAM tuner was very important. I am hooked up to standard Comcast cable with no box: My Apt complex supplies free standard cable. I have no desire to get Comcast's digital service with all those extra stations. If I didn't have a tuner, I'd have to subscribe to Comcasts Digital service at roughly $62+/month more. To get an HDTV tuner (but it also has a DVR built in) costs an additional $12/month but you have to subscribe to their digital service to get it.

To make things even better, Comcast broadcasts almost all of their HDTV over the standard coax: They are required, by federal law, to transmit the local HDTV stations at no charge.

So effectively, because my HDTV has a QAM tuner, I am saving $74 a month and getting virtually all the non-premium HDTV programming that Comcast offers.

Mercutio

In Chicago, by the end of this summer, there will be no non-digital cable. You will have a box or you will have no cable.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
In Chicago, by the end of this summer, there will be no non-digital cable. You will have a box or you will have no cable.

Are you serious? I hate the box. Is this true for all cable companies? I currently have RCN.

One of my friends bought the Westinghouse Woot. I will let you know how it is in a few days.