I can't install Win98SE on my Gigabyte NF3 mobo

paugie

Storage is cool
I can't install Win98SE on my Gigabyte NF3 mobo.

It is a K8NS, NForce3 250 full ATX motherboard. When I get to Win98SE setup, it hangs. Is it possible that the chipset precludes the use of old Windows?

It is reasonably stable on Win2K.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Unless you really have a good reason to run Win98, then I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Go with 2K, XP or 2003 Server.

Personally, I run 2003 Server and have been pretty happy with it.

paugie

Storage is cool
yes, a good reason

the only capture card I have is a Matrox RRS which only has drivers for Win98SE and earlier. I used t0 be able to dual boot with my old systems. capture (and capture only) in Win98 and edit on Win2K.

But this mobo won't allow me to install win98. I just want to be sure that there's nothing wrong with the mobo. that it was designed for later os's. disappointed if that's the case.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Tannin said:
I doubt that there are any drivers. Nforce driver support for Win98 was spotty even with the Nforce II.
Bad news then for me -- I am planning to build an Nforce 4 SLI based system and need to dual-boot W98.

Anybody here can confirm for certain that W98 will / will not work on Nforce 3 and later boards?

paugie

Storage is cool
hello 'i' thanks for the linux link. am scouring through the "link" from the "link" as what I have is the RRS (verrrrry old) not the RR-G.

hope to get some useful info on this. hope I get it to work

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Paugie, I reckon your best bet is dual systems. Now, before you start shouting and throwing your toys out of the pram, I'm not talking big $$$ here. You don't need an extra monitor or a whole heap of hardware, just an old system - a P III with 256MB or a K6 will run Win98 smooth as fish poo. You probably have enough old bits floating around to make most of the unit already, and can scrounge whatever is missing without too much heartbreak.

The secret ingredient is a KVM. Now until a few years back, a KVM would cost you serious $$$, especially if you wanted one that actually worked most of the time, and you needed a whole stack of $10 custom cables and gender adaptors too - added up to US$20 or $40 just for cables. But these days you can get a tiny little two-port KVM for about US$25. No moving parts, just press scroll lock twice to swap systems. You can share keyboard, mouse, monitor and just have an extra tower. Add a network card and a $2 ethernet cable, and you have the two machines connected, sharing drives, and the whole system purring along like butter.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Since I've been using VMWare more lately...

Get VMWare. Any edition should do. Create a VM and install 98 to it. Assign the RSS to the session.

No, I've no idea if it'd work. But you could d/l the VMWare trial free to try it out.

And it's possible that you could use the trial to create the VM and then use the free VM player to run it when needed.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
How far is it getting into the setup process?

Can you try a different Win98 boot floppy?

Do you have a PATA HDD?

Have you tried without the TV capture card or anything else?

Sometimes, it pays to just try a different CD-ROM drive.

You could also try disabling ACPI in the BIOS (just to see if you get any further).

nVidia has Win98 drivers for Win98SE, although I think audio support may be impossible on modern hardware.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
Fushigi said:
And it's possible that you could use the trial to create the VM and then use the free VM player to run it when needed.
There's a hack out there somewhere that lets you use VMPlayer to build a virtual machine.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
May I ask how much RAM this machine has? As we all know Win98 has problems with over 512 MB, although with a line in the 386enh section of your system.ini file (i.e. maxfilecache=512000) it can be made to work with up to 1 GB. I heard over 1GB will sometimes work on some systems. Over 1.5GB forget it. There is a workaround though where you can limit the memory windows uses to 1 GB. Put MaxPhysPage = 3FFFF in the 386enh section of the system.ini file. This will limit the memory windows can see to just under 1GB. If you need to dual boot on a system with more than 1GB of RAM then you definitely need this line.

paugie

Storage is cool
Yes, yes. am thinking am thinking. hmmm. hmmm.

I'll investigate your suggestions and see what I will work for me. Uhh. hmmmm. hmmmm.

It has 2x 512mb DDR400.

but I don't think that line in the 386enh section will work. I haven't even got to starting the setup for win98. have to read up on VM.

get back to you tomorrow.