I made an order from a possibly sketchy online store.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Nothing really disturbed me at first. There were a couple 'advisory' boxes that popped up during the ordering process, which is rather bad form --I alt-F4ed them without touching them, mostly out of habit, not because I was suspicious. However, I got this:

Email Address: ************
Order #: **********

Thanks for the order. I was just named Moosejaw staff person most likely to thrive in another country. If you know anyone who needs a good bandillero please let me know.

More importantly, we would love to ship your order to you but the credit card company would not verify your credit card. This is likely not your fault and can be solved quickly. Can you please fax a photocopy of your picture ID and a photocopy of the front of your credit card to 248.246.4001? Be sure to put your full name and order number on the fax. If you prefer, email us the information to service@moosejaw.com. Be sure to put your full name and order number in the email. If you have this information handy or if you are good with a fax machine or scanner, the entire process typically takes about two minutes and is well worth it.

If you have any questions or if we can help in any possible way please call us at 1.248.246.4000 or email us at service@moosejaw.com.

As soon as we receive this information, we can process your order and get it shipped right out. Please note, the credit card company would not verify your card for your own protection so don't hate us for more than seventy seconds.

Love the madness.
Argento
Moosejaw.com

Follow this link to view your Online Order Summary

Products:
1 @ Osprey Atmos 50 Pack (Fall 2005) - Outside Gear of the Year Award

A photocopy of my driver's license and my credit card? That has alarm bells written all over it all by itself. There's a whole lot of stuff you can do with a photocopy of someone's driver's license and their credit card information. I also didn't like the way it's written, it's so cute and reassuring, particularly, "we would love to ship your order to you but the credit card company would not verify your credit card. This is likely not your fault and can be solved quickly... If you have this information handy or if you are good with a fax machine or scanner, the entire process typically takes about two minutes and is well worth it." Am I too suspicious or does that just sound like a classic phishing trip.

Now, although there was no way I was providing them with the information they requested, I wasn't tremendously disturbed. I suppose it could have been an unusually strict fraud prevention policy of an odd business. So I call up my credit card company. And I talk to a very pleasant woman who assures me that the card hasn't been declined recently. I'm not particularly worried, but my impression of these guys is one of rather serious skepticism.

In my experience, I've never seen a request for a photocopy of a driver's license and credit card. Mastercard said that it was a highly unusual policy and agreed that I should not provide it. Have any of you experienced policies like this from companies that you've made orders from?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I have TERRIBLE problems with getting my apartment's address verified. I don't know why. Standard procedure is for an order to my address to be denied, and to get a note asking that I call so-and-so in Customer Service, who will then verify my address again, have my card declined while I'm on the phone with them (because my address is "wrong"), and then ask if there's a different way we can do the order.

No one EVER asks me for a photocopy of ANYTHING.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I emailed them back and told them I was willing to call Mastercard and try and sort things out, but that there was no way I was faxing them a copy of my driver's license and my credit card. I haven't called them yet mostly because I'm cheap, and in no particular hurry.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
This is a total scam. Who would ask for you to FAX a driver's license and credit card? Either someone extremely stupid, or a scammer. That company could unknowingly be a front for this scammer.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
LOL. Thanks Stereodude.

In the end, I resolved it without sending them anything other than basic credit card information. I'm a little worried about them having my credit card number, but the instant I originally sent the order in I was doomed in that regard I suppose. I always watch it carefully. I suppose I'll just be a little more paranoid for a while.