I want to be able to use ExpressCards in my Desktop

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Options?

I've been googling away, but have found nothing. Back with PCMCIA cards you used to be able to do this.

If anyone is wondering why, it's because the latest generation of CompactFlash card readers run noticeably faster in ExpressCards than off Firewire, and USB has long been deficient in bandwidth for these devices

I'd like to be able to plug my laptop CF reader into my desktop when I'm at home.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Does Addonics have anything? Can you wait for USB3 readers?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Interesting. I wonder what kind of cable is used for the internal model.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
My Delkin Expresscard reader is complete junk. It is unreliable, and loses connection with the computer regularly. (This is a brand new Thinkpad - i.e., the highest quality computer money can buy.) The driver software have gone from the completely unusable version 1.x to version 4.x in just a couple of months. Now, with the 4.x driver, it no longer loses connection all the time, instead, it reboots the entire system.

Junk.

Don't go near the bloody things.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
All the ones I found at NewEgg are using just the USB connection from what I see.

I don't think they'll operate at PCIe speeds.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Do you know how nice it is to plug a flash card into a reader and it just works?

Since I stopped using the pox-ridden Delkin the other day, and replaced it with a medium-cheap more-or-less generic USB external reader, I can just upload my pictures and get on with life. It's not a lot slower, and by the time you allow for crashes and disconnects, and usually a reboot or two, it's actually about 6 times faster.

Last time I ever buy a Delkin product.

mubs

Storage? I am Storage!
That's a shame. Delkin was supposed to be very good a few years ago; looks like another one has fallen by the wayside.

Stereodude

Not really a
I have the Kingston 19 in 1 tested in the Rob Galbraith article. It's WAY faster than my old reader, and although certainly not the fastest reader out there, it's cheap ($12.95 at Amazon). :aok: