iBUYPOWER and Newegg Launch Live Configurator

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
iBUYPOWER and Newegg Launch Live Configurator. Read about it here.

"The best thing to happen to enthusiast PC gaming

July 8, 2014, City of Industry, CA – iBUYPOWER and Newegg are proud to announce an amazing new way to get the best components you want without having to deal with the hassles of building, troubleshooting, and maintaining on your own. You pick what you want and your high-performance gaming system ships to you, completed!"

I wonder how that this is going to work out? I wonder what the build cost will be on top of the components cost?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Well that was just the least amount of time in my life where I went from, "Holly shit, that's a cool idea" to "Well that's bullshit"

/facepalm

From the above link I thought you could configure a system using any part that Newegg sells, but it looks like it's just a tiny selection on "generic" options we've all seen 213462176213 times before. Build config link here.

Sigh. Guess I should have looked over the link first before posting.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
What is that, some cheap stuff for kids? I've never heard of a 2TB generic hard drive. :dunno:

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
In this context, generic generally means the cheapest 2TB drive (or whatever is in current inventory) that can be had at the time of the build regardless of model or brand.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I'm hoping this is a test Newegg is doing to check the feasibility of extending the options. Why not the TOP 50 hard drives and list make/model info for each.

-or-

If I wanted to piece out a system (or help a friend), buy all the parts and build it myself this website tool could be awesome. Click what I want, save config for later, send link to friends for suggestions and allow them to select different products for you, set a hard price ceiling then have system not allow selections that take you over that dollar amount. etc, etc, etc. Lots of possible cool options available. Basically automate what we have been doing for decades via a website interface.

LunarMist

The choices are so few, I wonder if the computers are being Assemblies of God by the Chinese.

LunarMist

Mostly I don't use the autocorrect. Weird things just seem to happen to me.
In this case it may be some Google religious thing.