IFSMGR.VXD fails, but only when on the net

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Guess the subject explains it pretty well. Anyone have an explanation for this? The system is a K602/450 on a solid but performance-challenged little Biostar board with integrated everything and no secondary cache.

It's running Windows 95B with IE 5.0, and it has trouble on the web. It worked just fine for a year or two, now it gives that message on a frequent but intermittent basis anytime you are (a) on the web and (b) actually doing something. The best way to trigger it is to send an email using Netscape Messenger 4.X (which he has been running for years without a problem) and then immediately try to check your inbox. But you can trigger it other ways too, using other programs.

System appears stable, no other problems apparent.

So far we have wiped out the Windows folder and associated IE 5.0 crap and reinstalled, then backup up the data, formatted the harddrive, and reinstalled from scratch, saving only the Netscape Messenger folder which we transferred complete and installed over the top of.

It seemed to be 100% OK with a test install of the same software on a spare drive, but then it seemed to be OK after we did all of the above. Alas, I got a call yesterday, it's up to its old tricks again.

Should I try W98SE?

I have a spare motherboard (different brand but similar), should I try that one instead?

Should I try Valium?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
IFSMGR is associated with some of the low-level IDE disk driver functions. You might be able to fix that problem most easily by copying a more recent version of the file (it lives in c:\windows\system\vmm32, and probably wasn't replaced during a Windows reinstall) from a Win98 system.

The absolute best way to fix the problem is to delete everything from c:\windows\system\vmm32, THEN run your reinstall.

There is a replacement IFSMGR.VXD available for Windows 98SE, if you want to try the first method.

Crap like this is the reason I like 98 and the SFC and IE repair tools. :)

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Hmmm... Thanks Mercutio. The original version of that file is definately gone: it's had a DELTREE C:\WINDOWS and a FORMAT C:

Guess I'll try 98SE and if that doesn't work try the replacement file you mention.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Outside of the "compulsory" ones that Win98 insists on before installing, no James. I'm getting to see the machine again sometime next week. But the chances that the relevant bits of the Windows code are in the same exact locations after thre reinstalls and a format are zero. Still, I'll run Spinrite through it just in case. Not sure what drive it is. A 10GB Samsung or Western Digital, I think.

I spoke to the guy today again. He's confirmed that it's possible but more difficult to get the failure while not checking for emails. He's had it starting IE 5.0 and hanging up the dialer too, though only once in each case. He also tells me that if he composes off-line and then presses "send", thus triggering the dialer, he gets the error 9 times out of 10. But if he does as I always do out of habit, dial first and then send, he only gets it about one time in 5 or 10.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
The Installable File System Manager file can also cause conflicts with PCI Steering. The version that came with Windows 95 version 4.0.950 and later do have a bug. Mercutio's prescription for a cure is an excellent start.

BR

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Thanks Buck. I tried asking Tannin but he just mumbled something about "never used to happen under DR-DOS" and went back to looking for a 286-16 board that still works.

I'll see the system sometime next week and put the Mercutio cure into effect. Ill let you all know how it goes.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Mercutio said:
Crap like this is the reason I like 98 and the SFC and IE repair tools. :)

As you can see I was highly sleep deprived when I wrote this.
I must retract the bit of bolded text, above. Forget you ever saw it. All of you. :)

Tannin, how come Kristi isn't at least registered to make fu... post here?

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Replacing Win95 with Win98 doesn't make sense, provided you actually install the patches that came with 95B and 95C. And maybe one or two others. Lots of people run IE 5 on Win95 without problems.

In any case, it worked for two years. If you're quite certain you didn't fail to reinstall something after wiping Windows, then your other theory must be right. That is, either HDD or motherboard (or something else) have gone bad.

Are you sure you're not placing too much faith in the customer's observations? Users can be quite convincing as witnesses, when in fact they couldn't even reliably tell you if their PC was on or off. :roll:

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Quite so, Time. It doesn't make sense. Lord alone knows how many Win95B machines I have seen running IE 5.0 without the slightest fuss, including his for the last year or two until just recently.

We never install patches unless they are needed. The time factor makes that out of the question when we work on so many machines. The only two patches we use with any regularity are the K6/P4 patch for 95B and C, and the shutdown bug patch for 98SE.

Quite sure: we install the same way every time.

This leaves me with three possibilities: (a) that there is a hardware failure but that it's subtle enough that we could not duplicate his problem in the workshop, (b) that there is some fiendishly subtle thing going on, something that he is doing and not realising that it's relevant, or (c) that his error descriptions are wrong.

I tend to doubt that third one, in his case, because he's a fairly organised guy. No computer wizzard, but bright and technically minded. (He's a semi-retired civil engineer who keeps his hand in by calculating the right amount of steel reinforcing to use in concrete structures: bridges, skyscrapers, anything that carries loads and is made from concrete. Isn't the way the other guy puts bread on his table one of the most interesting questions ever?)

Looks like hardware, doesn't it. So why did it work perfectly for us?

Well, sooner or later he will bring the box back, and we will find out for sure.

Need any bridges designed this week? I know a bloke ....

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Just for kicks, why not actually erase the data on the drive instead of using format and delete. I have had some woes with NT and the Master Boot Sector until I actually erased the data with a utility that writes a pattern to the drive. Once the data is truly erased, then try installing Windows, IE, and the other software. Will this take time? It sure will, would you rather replace the hardware, unsure that it actually is the culprit?

BR

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
OK, problem solved. Win 98 fixed it. I have no idea why.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Remember, the drive has been formatted - well, actually completely wiped, Buck - that's our usual habit:
Code:
WDCLEAR -T3 
GDISK 1 /CRE /PRI /FOR /Q
reboot
SYS C:
IDEIN (batch file, copies MSCDEX.EXE and IDE.SYS, edits CONFIG.SYS and AUTOECEC.BAT to load CD device drivers)
reboot
D:\
SETUP
Only after that did Kristi copy the contents of the drive (the backup of it, I mean) to a folder called Old C. From there, she did the drivers, reinstalled Office 97, copied the Netscape folder into its proper place, installed Netscape over the top, copied the documents folder, copied an Access database file over and made a shortcut to it.

I must have done 1000 Win95 and IE 5.0 installs if I've done one. Never met this problem before.

Kristi put Win 98SE on last week, and it works. At least he hasn't had the problem for about five days now.

I still have no idea why.