Imaging a dynamic disc

bahngeist

What is this storage?
After completing the finetuning of a W2K installation, I attempted to use Ghost (SystemWorks 2001 version) to image the drive. Unfortunately, that version of Ghost doesn't seem to recognize dynamic disks.

Short of redoing the installation and fine-tuning on a simple disc, is there is a drive imaging program that will recognize dynamic discs? Or am I SOL?

bahngeist

What is this storage?
flagreen said:
You're SOL I'm afraid.
Sort of gives credence to the credo 'keep it simple stupid" eh ;)

Thank you for the quick reply flagreen--man, you seem to be as much of a nighthawk as I am.

On the note of disaster recovery: is it possible to paste a copy of the GroupPolicy folder over the active one, and update/recover group policy settings that way? Or are the respective settings contained in files that are stuck all over the place, as they usually are in W2K?

In short, in the event that an installation is FUBARed, is it possible to 'paste' archived copies of settings files over the existing ones (for example, when using the recovery console). Can this be done for System Services settings, etc.; and if so, what are the corresponding file names?

I've been researching these concepts for quite a while now, and have found no definitive answer. If someone could point me in appropriate direction, it would be appreciated immensely.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I definitely keep weird hours. Usually I sleep for no more than three hours at a time twice a day. I don't know the answer to your latest questions unfortunately. :cry:

I use Drive Image for backup. It will restore Dynamic drives but not the files that were on them so it's not much use for them.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
bahngeist said:
In short, in the event that an installation is FUBARed, is it possible to 'paste' archived copies of settings files over the existing ones (for example, when using the recovery console). Can this be done for System Services settings, etc.; and if so, what are the corresponding file names?

I've been researching these concepts for quite a while now, and have found no definitive answer. If someone could point me in appropriate direction, it would be appreciated immensely.

I don't know the answer but it would seem to be a security gap if you could just paste over a security policy like that. It's prob linked to the SID somehow. Tho if the bad guys have physical access to your computer then I guess no security policy is going to help then.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Nearly as I can tell, the only way to get those settings back is to restore them from the registry.

For things like Group Policies, it looks like you can export your settings. I don't see a way to re-import, though. Of course, I'm not particularly keen on firing up a recovery console session right now, either.