Innovation in graphic card designs

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
Well, actually, I think I recall it being done before .... nonetheless, I'll make this a momental occassion were I actually have something nice to say about Asus:

This looks interesting.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
It's long overdue. If they become available, I'd certainly favour them over a traditional orientation.

GIgabyte used to mount heatsinks back and front in a sandwich configuration for the same reason.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
time said:
It's long overdue. If they become available, I'd certainly favour them over a traditional orientation.
Me too.

ddrueding

Fixture
Any comments on this contraption?

sechs said:
Doesn't this muck with thermal envelopes, and such?

In my designs I'd be more than happy to get the heat of the GPU near the heat of the CPU. It seems every case is designed to deal with the latter and not the former. By doing this, it allows the dual 120mm fans common to the top-back of high-end cases to deal with the heat.

CityK

Storage Freak Apprentice
ddrueding said:
I think the first link seems more reasonable in terms of design, cost, and efficiency (as measured in a variety of meterics).
sechs said:
Doesn't this muck with thermal envelopes, and such?
In my designs I'd be more than happy to get the heat of the GPU near the heat of the CPU. It seems every case is designed to deal with the latter and not the former. By doing this, it allows the dual 120mm fans common to the top-back of high-end cases to deal with the heat.
I agree with David....I see it advantages even in lower end cases with a single fan too.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm not sure that it's better to attempt to cool a CPU with the hot air directly from the GPU than indirectly.

It would really be better to vent the GPU directly to the outside.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I've occasionally just left the little slot cover off the case for the slot immediately below the AGP slot. Not sure how much that helps, but it's better than nothing.

Piyono

Storage is cool
Currently we have little vacuum cleaners attached to our 6800s which do a nice job of spinning the hot air around between the video card and the adjacent PCI card. Wow. Very efficient.

I'm all for getting the GPU's heat on the other side of the card where it can be more effectively evacuated by the system fan.

How about ReverseCool + SilentCool for a combination of rear-mounted GPU and all-passive cooling?

Piyono