Intel RAID and TRIM yet?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I see conflicting news reports that TRIM is supported on the ICHx chipsets with the intel storage manager. Anyone know for sure? News reports center around the end of march but I think tech report brings something pretty important up here:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/18653
Translation: if your Intel storage controller is set to RAID mode, you'll now be able to benefit from your solid-state drive's TRIM functionality when running it alongside a RAID array comprised of mechanical drives. TRIM isn't supported for SSDs participating in a RAID array, however. Intel may add that feature in the future, but it hasn't committed to doing so.

I'm not seeing much newer news either, halfway through 2010 and still no TRIM?

I got a steal on a second X25M and I was thinking a RAID 0 would be great till I remembered this TRIM problem. I guess now it will just be a second drive for apps, games and page file, bummer.

ddrueding

Fixture
IMHO, TRIM is highly overrated. You will get significantly better performance from your X25-Ms in RAID-0 without TRIM than a single drive with it.

Trim is particularly useful with lower performing drives (not yours).

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Hmm, I guess that's also the best future improvement option with a driver upgrade to add it rather than doing two drives now and reinstalling windows later.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Intel's latest RAID drivers will pass through TRIM commands to single drives, even if there's a RAID attached elsewhere.

TRIM commands are not passed to the attached RAIDed drives.

eg:

Take a configuration like the following:
2x Crucial C300 in RAID 0
1x Crucial C300 solitary

The lone disk that isn't part of the RAID will be passed TRIM commands. The other two will not.

The announcement is confusing people because Intel's drivers didn't use to pass TRIM commands to any drives if there were any RAIDed disks attached to the ICH. This has now been corrected.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
The announcement is confusing people

Sure is, doesn't help at all when a lot of news posts don't mention this critical detail. You would think they would go back and correct the news posts. Marketing win for intel I guess, they got a lot of pressure off their back for people that want this but think they just got it.