Intel Skylake reviews (i7-6700K)

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Looking at the reviews, I think I'm good with Haswell-E. Does it seem amazing to anyone else that Sandy Bridge was four years ago and we're just now 25% faster for single thread performance?

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Looking at the reviews, I think I'm good with Haswell-E. Does it seem amazing to anyone else that Sandy Bridge was four years ago and we're just now 25% faster for single thread performance?

Actually yes. CPU market is dead as far as IPC goes. Lets milk performance/watt and number of cores/threads per die.

Obvious reason is that Intel has no competition anymore so they can milk the 10% + 10% + 10% performance increase three times instead of a 30% increase only once.

I do believe Intel has something special "up their sleeves" in case AMD produces a miracle CPU in the next 12-24 months.

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
I do believe Intel has something special "up their sleeves" in case AMD produces a miracle CPU in the next 12-24 months.
A lot of rumours indicate AMD's Zen architecture will offer 40% improvement over their current offers, giving similar single core/IPC performance similar to Haswell/Skylake...

Last edited:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
No thanks, I spent a few thousand already on new systems this year and the 6 cores are not all that great, especially considering that the software keeps getting more boated and slower very year. It's a downward spiral unless there are major CPU performance gains.

Mercutio

A lot of rumours indicate AMD's Zen architecture will offer 40% improvement over their current offers, giving similar single core/IPC performance similar to Haswell/Skylake...

I bet that would be amazing if they could actually get a die shrink to reach par with Intel.

Stereodude

Not really a
We've heard this sort of thing before. It sounds like the hype preceding Bulldozer. We all know how that turned out.

Mercutio

So their $350 chip natively goes to 4.2Ghz, when do we expect the faster iterations to arrive?

Never-ish. We've been in the ~4GHz holding pattern for more than a decade. Maybe a different architecture and/or changes in chipmaking materials can more fully address that, but the CPUs that can actually operate in a stable fashion at close to 5GHz across all 4 or 8 cores are apparently extreme outliers or Intel would be putting them in boxes with red flames and skulls on the side and getting every enthusiast site on the internet how great it would be to skip a mortgage payment to get one.

ddrueding

Fixture
Never-ish. We've been in the ~4GHz holding pattern for more than a decade. Maybe a different architecture and/or changes in chipmaking materials can more fully address that, but the CPUs that can actually operate in a stable fashion at close to 5GHz across all 4 or 8 cores are apparently extreme outliers or Intel would be putting them in boxes with red flames and skulls on the side and getting every enthusiast site on the internet how great it would be to skip a mortgage payment to get one.

Sounds about right. Considering how many of my common loads are effectively bottle-necked on a single core, I would totally give up parallelism for a pair of faster cores (4.5Ghz? 4.8? $500?)

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Sounds about right. Considering how many of my common loads are effectively bottle-necked on a single core, I would totally give up parallelism for a pair of faster cores (4.5Ghz? 4.8? $500?)
Cedar Mill P4's have been known to reach 8GHz during those extreme overclocking events...
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/24/pentium-4-overclocked-to-8ghz-lets-see-your-fancy-core-2-try-t/

But AMDs tend to go even further... 8.8GHz (for a FX-8350)...
http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
This conversation has a certain amount of deja vu to it. Almost looks the threads when the Celerons first came out. :D

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
There's a whole bunch of reasons for that. We're approaching the limits of lithography which means we can't easily make smaller, faster transistors. On top of that signals propagating through silicon face issues of their own as speeds increase. If you think about it, in one clock tick with a 4GHz CPU light travels only 7.5 cm. Try keeping clock edges in sync at multiple places given that fact. Forget about running PCB traces with signals that fast, at least traces more than a few millimeters. That's why CPUs generate their clocks internally from a much slower external clock. Multicores are facing scaling issues of their own, notable the fact that for most problems throwing more than 8 cores at it doesn't buy you more speed.

In my opinion most of the work needs to happen on the software front. Break down problems into multiple tasks which parallel CPU cores can chew on at the same time. More importantly, end software bloat. Much of the hardware advances in the last decade have gone to waste simply because we're not efficiently optimizing compiled code. Sometimes it's so bad a multi-GHz CPU can't keep up with a person typing. In other words, it's back to basics. Coming from the microcontroller world, I know well the advantages of optimizing code. If we bothered to do the same on our computers most tasks would execute nearly instantaneously.

In all honestly, I'm actually not totally bummed things aren't advancing all that fast. This should mean any new systems people build may not show their age for a decade. Remember I was using an Athlon XP3200 until 2012. Outside of a few tasks, this decade old CPU was still viable for most of my work. My A10-5800K should probably be good enough to take me close to my senior years. Certainly the urge to upgrade is no longer there like it was for many people at least until 2010 or so.

Of course, there may be some breakthrough making it out of the labs which could change all this.

Mercutio

Given the emphasis currently being given to Javascript as a software development platform, I don't think we're in any danger of seeing an end to software bloat.

ddrueding

Fixture
Because they are low or high? I'm used to top-end components breaking down as follows:

$1k CPU
$500 RAM
$500 MB
$500 HDD (SSD)
$1k GPU (x2?)

Not that anyone needs that system, but a top-end CPU for $350 is pretty darn reasonable.

Mercutio

Of course, you can get a machine that will do 90% of that for 1/3 the money, but going all the way is really damned sweet.

Stereodude

Not really a
You can buy a "house" (I use that term a little loosely) for the price of high end consumer Intel CPU in Detroit.

Mercutio

Gary, Indiana is doing those programs, too. I know somebody who is trying to rehab a $250, 1300 square foot home and I'm told it's a nightmare.

Stereodude

Not really a
I know somebody who is trying to rehab a $250, 1300 square foot home and I'm told it's a nightmare.
Well, there's a reason why they're so cheap. It'd probably be cheaper to bulldoze them and start over vs. trying to rehab one. Either way at the end of the day you're still left with a house that's likely to be much nicer than all the ones around it in a bad neighborhood.

Also, there's often a big catch in that you have to pay the back property taxes which are fairly hefty and way more than the $500 the house costs.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
This is why I never aspire to go completely high-end, as the lower end parts meet my needs and don't completely wreck my wallet in the process. Makes me glad I have no need for such amazingly fast and expensive parts.

ddrueding

Fixture
Thinking of it as a percentage is probably best. 5-10% of income for all toys/hobbies is a pretty comfortable place to be, but I recognize that this is easier at higher income levels. My first few computers were acquired by dumpster-diving outside UC Berkeley.