Intel's new business model - Chip upgrading?

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm not sure that there's enough value in it for a lot of people to hack it. Folks would only do it for the challenge.

Stereodude

Not really a
I guess I don't exactly see the problem if people are being told up front what the processor is when they will run it out of the box. If the customer can later do what I assume is a BIOS update that unlocks more capability of the chip... Well, then more power to Intel and Gateway.

Now if Gateway artificially gimps the Pentium G6951 to make it less capable than it is in other company's machines and neglects to tell anyone, but then sells you an upgrade to get back to an even footing... Well, then I can see a valid reason for all the outrage.

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
As long as Intel is straight with everyone, I don't see an ethical problem either. I just think it is a dumb move.

If people are willing to hack a game and put it up on the internet, why on earth would you think that there isn't enough value there for people to do this to Intel?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'm OK with that method if the upgraded functionality is permanently set in the CPU itself. A concern would be if the CPU reverts to a more basic mode in another system.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
It seems silly to me. I understand that some huge percentage of the chips Intel sells are vastly more capable than their markings and specs indicate; their products already have a certain level of artificial differentiation built in just from that.

I imagine this will work better with systems sold by tier-1 retailers since from their standpoint the systems really CAN be "software upgradable."

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
If people are willing to hack a game and put it up on the internet, why on earth would you think that there isn't enough value there for people to do this to Intel?
How many hackers are buying crappy Gateways?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Hmm, $50 to unlock your multiplier anyone? Seems to be the direction they are heading with the sandy line but those are actual part number differences from what I gather.

I have a W3530 and a 950 here I was exploring the limits of and all the stuff I had to touch to get a stable 200 Bclock was a bit much IMO. Being able to unlock and do things that way would have been so much easier.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't know. We can say "No self-respecting hardware enthusiast would own an Acer" but there are plenty of young people who wind up with them because that's what a well-meaning person gave them to work with.

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
This is somewhat related to enterprise systems, for example IBM mainframes, which may ship with more processor books than originally leased. Then, if you need more MIPS for large batch jobs etc, you can pay for capacity on demand. For 5 or 6 figures depending on terms. It can either be a temporary thing, or permanent. The local Z series IBM CE will input code and bobs your uncle.

I believe there are also tape libraries that operate the same (ship more media slots/drive bays than originally paid, expansion via software unlock).

Handruin

Administrator
Cisco is horrible with this in the same regards. We have several difference fibre channel switches and they license on a port-bases regardless if you bought a 80 port switch, you still have to license the ports. Same is also true with their new UCS blade architecture. If you buy a blade with the expanded memory support, you have to license and pay to enable access to the larger RAM.