iPod>iPhone>iPad

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Want to see my pad? ...geekboyz pickup line?

http://www.macworld.com/article/145938/2010/01/tabletannouncement1.html

Yeah, but U can't put it in ur pocket.

3G follows 1mo *after* initial models ships, wtf, y?

Ok, so yer'all still wallowing in the iPhone syn thread, come on get up to date ya'old geek hippies :p

So who's going to wait in line all night @Palo Alto Apple store with all the other techgeeks, to buy it the 1st day :D?
145938-ipad_dock_original.jpg

What I want to know...it costs $499...but U can get a prepaid-no contract 250MB/mo data rate for only $14.99mo, unlimited 4 $29.99/mo...:smack:

I want to know why I can't buy a full-price Iphone w/same untethered plans? :(

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
What's interesting is them using not using a x86 based processor, but developed something inhouse. (I'm thinking something like an nVidia Tegra).

Will lack of software be an issue? Or is it a simple recompile for those existing iPhone apps?

Otherwise, I don't see the need for the product. iPhone does what most people want and is portable, otherwise a 13" Macbook and Macbook Air fill the need for a larger device?

PS. Has anyone else been using/selling Windows based tablets?

Stereodude

Not really a
The ARM9 is a bit dated these days. No floating point unit (ARM11 added that), it's not super scalar, etc. It's also not designed to run at 1GHz. The fastest ARM9 I'm aware of is 533MHz. The Cortex A9 on the other hand is pretty impressive.

Stereodude

Not really a
I'm not sure that the compatibility works that way. iPhone apps run on the iPad, not sure if iPad apps can run on the iPhone.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
Love my iPhone but I can't imagine using a 10" version, even if it had 3G. I just don't have that kind of money to blow on something that's not a pocket-sized phone and not a real computer.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
At what point should I expect the Macintosh to devolve into an iPad that is simply too big to hold?

Santilli

Hairy Aussie
At what point should I expect the Macintosh to devolve into an iPad that is simply too big to hold?

Perhaps that should read:
Maxipad?

The Mac is now based on the COOL scale. As long as the Mac loyalists believe, and buy,
Apple will sell computers.

This thing just looks like a big iPhone, for 500 bucks, and, it's sort of an expensive, slow,
Netbook?

Nothing new. If it looks cool, it is. Who cares if it's worth the money, or works?
You buy Macs to impress others, not to actually do anything...

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
iPad does not look cool to me. It hardly does anything. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd gen will be better.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I am more interested in what it is going to do to inspire functionality in other tablets for features and price now, rather disappointed.

Also rather unhappy with all the news articles regarding the book publishers dumping amazon for itunes, I don't want itunes to be the premier outlet for ebooks. Much rather amazon fix their pricing scheme.

LunarMist

680-730g is too heavy for a "pad" that hardly does anything. Are the alternatives lighter?

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
In fact the new version coming out next year will be slightly bigger and of course heavier.

It will be called the iPad Max.

Tannin

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
I'm just working through the logic of the thread title here "iPod > iPhone > iPad".

OK, I can buy that, at least as a working hypothesis. It doesn't make a whole lot of immediate sense, but let's work it through. If (as claimed) iPod is greater than iPhone is greater than iPad, then the reverse must also be true: iPad is less than iPhone, which in turn is less than iPod. Can we truth test this assertion? Let's try.

We already know that the iPod is a very expensive but perfectly usable music player, not terribly different from a zillion other ones out there (apart from the absurd price, of course). The claim before us is that the iPhone is less than - i.e., not as useful as - the iPod. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. It's a shockingly expensive telephone, with no known benefit over that conferred by any of a dozen other phones on the market at half the price .... so yes, it is indeed fair to claim that it is less useful than an iPod. So far as the firt part of the claim goes, "iPod > iPhone", we must agree.

As for the iPad, the claim before us is that it is even more useless than the iPhone. I can see absolutely no reason to disagree. So the original claim - "iPod > iPhone > iPad" - turns out to be absolutely correct.

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I wonder if the ">" symbols were used to indicate a progression over time rather than a comment on usefulness or value.

Handruin

Administrator
I would certainly argue that the iPhone is an advancement on the iPod despite the uninformative conclusion Tannin is making. The iPhone is complete functioning iPod with more portable features. I cannot see how you derived that it is less useful than an iPod when it contains the exact same music playing functionality as the iPod.

If you compare its cost as just a telephone, then yes, it's far more expensive. If you take into consideration every else it can do, then no its not. The iPod costs $199. The same storage size iPhone costs $299. Adding on $100 for phone components and 3G internet connectivity is worth the price difference.

LunarMist

I think of the iPod and iPhone as very different devices, but what does a PC user like me know?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Adding on $100 for phone components and 3G internet connectivity is worth the price difference.

Unfortunately, you can't buy an iPhone that's actually functional for anything but AT&T's shitty network (yes, OK, you can jailbreak one and use it on Tmobile, but then you're either still paying for AT&T's service or you're not getting it for $300), and if you are getting the phone for $300, then you have to take into account the $60 or $70 a month they charge you to use it for two years so you're eligible for the discounted up-front price. It in effect, it's a $2500 iPod.

Forgive me if I'm less than impressed.

Handruin

Administrator
You wouldn't buy an iPhone for any other reason to use with a cellular service otherwise you'd buy just an iPod (or portable music player). If you live outside the US, you don't need to use AT&T. What you mean to say is shitty AT&T network in your area. I've actually had minimal issues with my service so far. There's no reason why I'd even consider jailbreaking and moving to T-Mobile...why would I want to go to worse coverage and service levels?

You'd have to pay similar service charges in a multi-year contract for any other 'smart' phone on any other carrier in order to get the regular contract price on the hardware. This is no different for any other smart phone so I'm not understanding your argument. I'd be paying $85/month at Verizon for a smart phone. Lets say thew HTC touch 2 with the 2-year contract $199. You need an internet package (like iPhone) at $45, basic plan at $40. That's close to $2300 for the phone and contract for 2 years. Not to mention their now doubled early termination fees on smart phones at $350. My 2-year payout will be closer to $2100, not your $2500.

Forgive me if I'm less than impressed with your argument or point.

Mercutio

You'd have to pay similar service charges in a multi-year contract for any other 'smart' phone on any other carrier in order to get the regular contract price on the hardware.

My service plan (Sprint SERO) is $35 a month and I got my phone for $100. Faster, truly unlimited internet service (I have no 5GB/month cap), tethering, GPS and landline-quality calls all included in that price. All-in-all, that's less than half what an iphone + service plan winds up costing.

And I don't need itunes just to use my phone.

Handruin

Administrator
First, the SERO plan is somewhat unrealistic for the general population, no? How would I go about obtaining your same plan for $35/month with unlimited everything? From what it looks like, you need to have a referral and some kind of employee ID to enter to even get there. All I can say is that's very good for you and a fabulous price...but minimal people can get it unless if I'm misunderstanding it? If I'm wrong, please explain how?

I have no idea which phone you have. If I went with sprint as a normal person and selected the same HTC Touch 2 as in my verizon example:

Phone: $450 (minus $100 MIR if you're lucky to get it)
Plan: $70/month for similar 450 minutes as with Verizon and AT&T
Contract is 2-years to get that awesome price on the phone

That puts me at $2130 for the cost of the phone over two years...again, how is this much different for the average consumer?

Also, why would I want Sprint? I put them about a hair higher than T-Mobile in between AT&T. The coverage isn't great. My GF has Sprint and I just haven't been convinced with the amount of coverage and dropped calls I've seen her get. There's a reason why they cost less...

You got me about iTunes...but it's a minimal problem that is easily handled.

Mercutio

First, the SERO plan is somewhat unrealistic for the general population, no?

SERO was available to the general public until about this time last year. They even provided a generic email address to use for the "referral" (I think it was something like "sero@sprint.com"). Anyone who did the tiniest bit of googling could find out about it and sign up for it.

They don't offer it to non-employees right now, but a smart consumer would have been aware of it and could have taken advantage while the offer was available, just as smart consumers will take the trouble to hunt up a coupon before they order a notebook from Lenovo or Dell. Certainly not an unrealistic option.

I have no idea which phone you have. If I went with sprint as a normal person and selected the same HTC Touch 2

I have the precursor to the Touch, an HTC 6800. It was $400, minus $200 for a two year contract, minus a $100 manufacturer rebate. As far as I can tell, there seems to always be a $100 rebate on higher-end HTC phones. Again, nothing special there.

That puts me at $2130 for the cost of the phone over two years...again, how is this much different for the average consumer?

The average consumer would have walked into an AT&T/Verizon/Sprint retail location with a sign on his chest that said "Please rape me because I have no idea what I'm trying to buy." We look down on those people when they buy their vomit box PCs, and we can look down on them for paying too much for their smartphones.

My total price for phone + two years of service was $800, and for that all I had to do was find an address @sprint.com.

Incidentally, I just found out that Verizon wants $30 a month to enable tethering on a Blackberry... on top of the $70 a month they want to have an internet-enabled Blackberry. This is a perfect example of the rape to which I am referring.

Also, why would I want Sprint? I put them about a hair higher than T-Mobile in between AT&T. The coverage isn't great.

Sprint's coverage where I live is substantially better than AT&T's. My internet connection is faster than AT&T's and my calls also sound better. I can't say I've ever had a dropped call from my end, but I talk to plenty of people with iphones whom I regularly have to call back two or three times just to have one conversation.

Verizon has everybody beat for coverage, but they're also the kings of cell phone rape and call quality on their network is only slightly better than AM radio.

I'll admit that coverage is a regional issue, but AT&T has done absolutely nothing to impress me in that regard.

Handruin

Administrator
SERO was available to the general public until about this time last year. They even provided a generic email address to use for the "referral" (I think it was something like "sero@sprint.com"). Anyone who did the tiniest bit of googling could find out about it and sign up for it.

They don't offer it to non-employees right now, but a smart consumer would have been aware of it and could have taken advantage while the offer was available, just as smart consumers will take the trouble to hunt up a coupon before they order a notebook from Lenovo or Dell. Certainly not an unrealistic option.

Sure...and I would have if I had any more than a zero desire to be a sprint customer. I would have researched their service plans some more, but clearly it's not meant for the general masses if you have to jump through a couple small hoops to get it. Now that it's not offered it's even more of a moot point on your behalf of the argument. Even if I were to consider, I wouldn't have been eligible to change over to sprint before the program ended to the public because I was under contract with verizon.

I have the precursor to the Touch, an HTC 6800. It was $400, minus $200 for a two year contract, minus a $100 manufacturer rebate. As far as I can tell, there seems to always be a $100 rebate on higher-end HTC phones. Again, nothing special there.

I mentioned the rebate in my findings, but still the current high-end phone still trumps that of an iPhone's price by an additional $50. The phone is slated as a competitor to the iPhone which still uses Win mobile 6.1 (maybe updated now to 6.5, I don't know) with less usability and functionality, thicker, heavier phone, and less included memory. I don't want a qwerty keyboard adding thickness, weight, and possible breaking points to the phone, but honestly is there even a decent virtual keyboard on a win mobile device?

The average consumer would have walked into an AT&T/Verizon/Sprint retail location with a sign on his chest that said "Please rape me because I have no idea what I'm trying to buy." We look down on those people when they buy their vomit box PCs, and we can look down on them for paying too much for their smartphones.

Isn't everything relative to your own personal budget? If you decide to buy a lesser phone and pay less, how is it you consider someone like myself being raped for buying a more expensive phone than you (but actually less than some of the competition) when the phone does more? I could have certainly bought a less expensive phone with rebates that does a bunch less and was less usable.

That still doesn't address the normal service costs that 98% of all people have access to. Given the region and my lack of interest in using Sprint (and even T-Mobile) here, there aren't a lot more options. If Sprint coverage was good, I'd have no problem considering them.

Vomit box comparison, Really? There is no relation here. I could certainly say I look down at people for spending too much on just about anything. I'm sure you're guilty of a few things, as aren't we all.

My total price for phone + two years of service was $800, and for that all I had to do was find an address @sprint.com.

Incidentally, I just found out that Verizon wants $30 a month to enable tethering on a Blackberry... on top of the $70 a month they want to have an internet-enabled Blackberry. This is a perfect example of the rape to which I am referring.

$30/month seems to be the norm for AT&T also (which I agree that is a perfect example of rape since both would already be paying for unlimited internet), but I have access to tethering without being charged on the iPhone so it isn't a big deal. Granted I would be limited to 5GB/month, but I rarely come close to it anyway. It only takes a little bit of using google to figure out how and implementing it is dead simple.

Outside of that example, just because everyone doesn't get the same deal as your fantastic SERO plan doesn't mean it's rape for everyone else.

Sprint's coverage where I live is substantially better than AT&T's. My internet connection is faster than AT&T's and my calls also sound better. I can't say I've ever had a dropped call from my end, but I talk to plenty of people with iphones whom I regularly have to call back two or three times just to have one conversation.

Verizon has everybody beat for coverage, but they're also the kings of cell phone rape and call quality on their network is only slightly better than AM radio.

I'll admit that coverage is a regional issue, but AT&T has done absolutely nothing to impress me in that regard.

I've worked from home many times and been on many 1-2 hour meetings and never dropped a call. I've had many hour+ long call conversations with my family in CT and also with my GF 20 miles away without dropped calls. There is one location on my commute home that does drop a call, but it also dropped with Verizon, so I'm assuming it's a dead zone for everyone. Clearly it's area-dependent and I guess your area gets the shaft from AT&T coverage.

The internet speed is actually pretty decent at least from where I live and also from where I work. The average is somewhere in the 1650KB/235KB in my area.

I drove all the way out to Ohio last year and throughout the whole trip my phone was used by three other people in the car with me and there were little to no issues with internet connectivity. There were occasional drops in performance, but that's to be expected over a 600 mile trip.

I'm certainly not raving about AT&T, but I also don't have any huge gripes with their service here in central Mass. They certainly have room to improve, but I'm not at all frustrated by having this phone.

LunarMist

If that offer no longer exists I don't see how that can be a valid comparison today. Many consumers only look to buy new phones when their contracts are up or nearly so.