Is it just me, or does the site seem faster?

Handruin

Administrator
Maybe I'm hallucinating, but it seems like the forum is running much better then it has in the past few weeks. Has anyone else noticed an improvement in speed?

I also think a few other changes have been made. Either we switched servers again, or something happened to the one we were on. The site no longer supported the mod_gzip for apache, so I re-enabled the gzip support for the forum. I am now seeing page generation times around "0.1" to "0.4". This is much better then what it was in the past.

Let me know if the speed has increased,

Doug

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
Actually yes, now that you mention it, it does seem to be faster. :)

I notice the "GZIP compression" comment waaaay down at the bottom of the screen is showing "enabled" now (it wasn't the last time I noticed) ... could that have anything to do with it?

Handruin

Administrator
It could have something to do with it. But here is my theory:

The site had been slow for a few weeks, and through constant monitoring, I've noticed the CPU usage of this server to be very high. Now the one thing I've read about the apache mod_gzip is that it is very CPU intensive, especially when there are 40+ people using this server.

Well, last night I was testing this site for gzip compression and it was no longer enabled with the apache mod...so this is why I re-enabled it in phpBB2. If burst disabled the apache mod_gzip, that could have helped the performance of SF. I've looked at the CPU usage and it is much lower then it has been in the past.

I figure they either moved us to another server, or they disabled the mod_gzip. In any case, I've re-enabled the gzip built into the forum, and this could be helping performance also.

Prof.Wizard

Wannabe Storage Freak
Ditto from Europe. The site seems very fast and fluid. Pages are created in less than 0.2s.

But I can't say it was thaaaat slower earlier...