K-Lite Codec Pack

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I know there are people who hate codec packs, but they make my life easier, since I don't get pain-in-the-ass questions about whether or not weirdo-video-format X plays or doesn't play in player Y.

The current K-Lite Mega Codec pack was released today at Betanews

ddrueding

Fixture
I disagree. I install it on all the systems I build. Since all users expect to be able to see all media without any effort, it's a logical thing to but on a system. Just like flash, acrobat reader, .NET framework, and in the old days winzip.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Just because your users are unreasonable doesn't make this good software.

Macromedia Flash, Adobe Reader, and the Windows .NET Framework don't include any pirated or improperly distributed software. They also don't cause as many problems as they solve (at least in the case of Flash and Reader).

Since codecs must be constantly updated anyway, using any kind of pack isn't going to resolve the ease of use issue.

Sol

Storage is cool
inmatrix zoomplayer offers a nice alternative to codec packs by giving you a list of codecs that you might need and links for them when you first start it. I'm not ssure if any other players offer similar features but it sure beats out media players searching for codecs it doesn't have.

I've also noticed fddshow improving a lot lately which makes it a nice alternative for a whole stack of different codecs.