KVM "Multiplexing"

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
I have one 2-way KVM switch already. If I get another, can I hook the outputs of the old one to one of the inputs of the new one, and another computer to the other input of the new one, to create a 3-way KVM? Of course, I can do the connections, but will it work correctly for all 3 computers - has anybody here seen or heard of this?

Thanks.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
yeah, you can do it.. but you have to realize there will be a quality loss in manual KVM's.. and you'll have to make sure both KVM boxes are set to the correct positions when switching between computers.

You will also need an additional KVM cable...

If you have a better KVM (like a Belkin Omniview) they are made to allow "daisy chaining" of KVMs, so I could theoretically have upto 16(maybe more) computers connected using 4 port KVM switches. Since the omniview series is an electronic KVM there should be a minimal amount of quality loss when compared to manual KVM switches.

Personally, if you're using a manual KVM and video resolutions 1024x768 or higher I think you'd be best of buying a 4 port Omniview from ebay... I got mine for ~$10 (like new comdition)and about $10 for an additional cable... had to scrounge for a power supply, but got one used for ~$1 from a local computer shop.

I have the older omniview and I seem to have problems using the mousewheel in linux (when switching back and forth) so I'd recomend one of the newer omniviews that specifically support mousewheel emulation.

The benefit of an electronic KVM is that you don't have video quality loss(which is especially noticable at higher resolutions and with more computers) and you can switch between computers by using keyboard shortcuts instead of a switch located on the KVM.

This is the model I have, this is the one I'd recomend if using linux.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I couldn't tell you the models of the KVMs we use at work (they're branded Dell & Compaq; I couldn't say who actually makes them), but we do cascade them. 2 8-port jobbers to support 15 servers.

The Belkin F1D104 blake references apparently maxes at 1600x1200@65Hz .. are there any that go higher?

And out of curiosity, are there any KVMs that switch DVI & USB?

- Fushigi

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
Fushigi said:
I couldn't tell you the models of the KVMs we use at work (they're branded Dell & Compaq; I couldn't say who actually makes them), but we do cascade them. 2 8-port jobbers to support 15 servers.

The Belkin F1D104 blake references apparently maxes at 1600x1200@65Hz .. are there any that go higher?

And out of curiosity, are there any KVMs that switch DVI & USB?

- Fushigi

Belkin makes some "pro" models that support higher resolution (or frequencies).. can't seem to find the specifics, but it was something about 2048x1536... there most certainly are USB KVMs.. they're actually starting to phase out the ps/2 KVMs in favor of USB. I have yet to see a DVI KVM, but there probably are DVI switchboxes around.

Newtun

Storage is nice, especially if it doesn't rotate
Thanks for the replies so far. I have a Belkin Omniview F1DB102P already, and I'm looking at the F1DJ102P-B model ($59 @ BestBuy). That one comes with the cables, and claims to support video resolution of up to 1920x1440@65Hz.

I've also seen KAVM switches - audio included. That would be nice.

blakerwry

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
justblake.com
yeah, I almost purcahsed one of theirs. Or maybe it was an Aten that had been rebadged. In any event it got excellent reviews and the price was very competative.