LCD vs DLP vs CRT

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
So what is the best technology out there right now?

If I want to spend $1000 on a new TV (this is the max price) what is the best technology to go for?

For example this TV can be had for $1000 or maybe slightly less: http://chicago.craigslist.org/ele/137456310.html and it is a 40" tube.

I understand that it weighs as much as a dump truck, but that is not a problem.

What other good options are out there?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Nothing makes a better picture than a CRT.

I'm fond of DLP, as it's available for larger screen sizes than LCD, but prices on LCD displays have come down, while DLP remains expensive, and DLP needs new bulbs every so often (I'm on the second one for my TV).

LCD screens have gotten bigger and cheaper, but still can't be viewed from a wide angle and still don't do as well with a full range of color.

There's also LCOS which is in many respects the same as DLP, only slightly less available and slightly less mature.

I would urge you to consider a projector rather than a TV of any sort. They're just assloads easier to deal with.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm also looking, and in the same price range. Because of space constraints anything larger than 37" is out, and it needs bottom mounted speakers (maximum size with side mounted speakers would be 32"). I'm probably going to wait a bit until 37" LCDs hit $1000.

As for relative advantages/disadvantages:

CRT: As Merc says, best picture. However, bulky and heavy, and sizes bigger than 34" widescreen are not available. I hate to think what that 40" TV weighs. Right off a big disadvantage of regular aspect screens is once everything is HD you'll be stuck with a relatively smaller picture. For that reason alone I'd recommend not buying an HDTV with a 4:3 screen.

LCD: Still costly in the larger sizes, could be better as far as contrast ratio. Off-axis viewing often not good. Advantages include light weight and small depth, plus good picture even in brightly lit rooms.

DLP: Lighter and less deep than CRT of similar size (but still deeper than an LCD), and also cheapest of all the current technologies for a given screen size. Disadvantages are having to change out the light bulb occasionally (LED bulbs may eventually solve this problem), blurry picture when sitting nearby, and poor picture contrast in anything but a very dark room (notice how DLP sets are always in a really dark part of the store).

For my own needs, LCD is really the only fit. The DLP sets are only available in huge sizes too big to fit the space I have, plus I usually watch TV with the lights on and can't be bothered worrying about buying projection bulbs. CRT is just too heavy and bulky, plus nothing larger than a 30" widescreen would fit.

LiamC

Storage Is My Life
Slight thread hijack, but this seems to go with the flow...

Can an LCD suffer screen burn-in? I went to an Indian restaurant a couple of days ago where they track orders via computer. The monitors were 17" ViewSonic LCD's (at least I thought they were LCD's) and there was clear evidence of burn-in (order system screen) when the blank screen saver kicked in on both monitors that were visible to me.

Mercutio

They can kinda-sorta burn in. You can fix "LCD burn in" by leaving the screen on and displaying a black image for four or five days.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I was bound my size contraints in my media niche, but I am happy with my 32" Samsung LCD. Very back friendly when installing and has a great picture from 10' feet away (roughly the sweet spot for that size TV).

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I recently Purchase a 42" Sony Wega with a CRT screen. Had other TVs delivered (LCD that was smaller and a 50 something projection) but sent them back. The CRT just looks better to us and can be veiwed from any where in the room.

Bozo :mrgrn:

Mercutio

Bozo is using a naughty word!

Let's go back to the projector thing for a minute:

A 5lb. projector - say, something like a BenQ 6240 DLP projector - can project an image that might be, oh, 60" in a small room. 2700 lumens is bright enough to view in full overhead light. You can project onto a sheet or a white wall (better if you use paint designed for projection, but whatever).

And a projector like that is not terribly expensive. $1200, maybe $1500. Certainly in line with what a large CRT, LCD or DLP set costs, and you don't need the monolithic entertainment center you'd probably have for any of the former, so there's more space in your living room as well.

I don't think I'd buy another TV.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Thanks for all of the responses guys!

Merc, I am seriously considering your advice about buying a projector.

What store in the Chicagoland area can I view a DLP projector such as the BenQ one or another comparable one?

If there are a bunch of windows (during the day) and I am trying to view a DLP projector with 2000 or 2700 lumens will it look like crap?

Mercutio

Microcenter in Westmont stocks BenQ projectors. Can't say for sure if Frys does.

With my current NEC 2600-lumen projector, the image is visible in daylight but washed-out. Fortunately, half-closed blinds solve that problem pretty well.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
That is what I thought, but just wanted to make sure he wasn't selling some Germanic version of the same projector with a weaker bulb or something.

Mercutio

Not as loud as some older projectors I've used... hold on, I have a manual around here someplace... which also doesn't say.

Just as a guess, it's probably around 35db.

freeborn

Learning Storage Performance
For what it is worth I run a refurbished Toshiba MT8U which I love most of the time. Other times the color wheel sounds like a couple of cats mating and I don't like it so well.

Free