Login - Logout; Login-Logout - to the tune of 3/4 time

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
I'm logged in to StorageForum, creating a new topic in the Feedback section. While I'm creating this Topic, and adding options for the Poll, I'm asked to log in again! Why was I logged out in the first place, I was doing work? So, now that I was unpleasantly logged out, the Topic I was creating was lost. Well, it will just have to wait. Can our logged in time be adjusted to last longer, or at least notice that we are not idle and not log us out?

BR

Handruin

Administrator
Buck said:
I'm logged in to StorageForum, creating a new topic in the Feedback section. While I'm creating this Topic, and adding options for the Poll, I'm asked to log in again! Why was I logged out in the first place, I was doing work? So, now that I was unpleasantly logged out, the Topic I was creating was lost. Well, it will just have to wait. Can our logged in time be adjusted to last longer, or at least notice that we are not idle and not log us out?

BR

Sorry Buck that the forum devoured your post. I've increased the login time to 5400 seconds (90 minutes) where it was currently 3600 (60 minutes).

I really shouldn't set it much higher then that, but since there aren't many members it won't hurt. The higher the session time, the longer sessions remain open in the database. If too many members pop in for a few minutes and leave without logging out, then it becomes a performance issue. I've read this over at the development site and they recommend no more then 1-2 hours, where the lower it is the better.

Let me know if it continues to happen and I will see if there is a deeper issue.

-Doug

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Handruin,

Is the login time started when you login? I've dealt with some software that doesn't count time until your login becomes idle. I suppose, this is not an option, otherwise you would have mentioned it.

BR

Handruin

Administrator
Buck said:
Handruin,

Is the login time started when you login? I've dealt with some software that doesn't count time until your login becomes idle. I suppose, this is not an option, otherwise you would have mentioned it.

BR

I will have to dig up the specifics on the session times. There is a section in the DB pertaining to "last login" and a cookie stored on your computer must check this. I'm guessing these two items work together some how. I've noticed that by clearing my Internet cache that I become logged out of the forum.

Tomorrow I will read up on the workings of the login, but my guess is that the time starts when you login and it is not based on activity, but I could be wrong.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm sure that the fact that Buck has mulitple logins here makes things a little more difficult as well. Is there, perhaps, a cookie with his login info? Maybe one that's getting overwritten regularly as he changes IDs?

Handruin

Administrator
Mercutio said:
I'm sure that the fact that Buck has mulitple logins here makes things a little more difficult as well. Is there, perhaps, a cookie with his login info? Maybe one that's getting overwritten regularly as he changes IDs?

Ah, there could be the answer. I didn't realize he had multiple logins, or multiple names. I've seen this problem when I use multiple names. In the early stages of the forum there was a problem when I used the default cookie path. I think SR may use the default cookie path, which caused problems for logins when people went from one to the other. I've since changes ours to fix this.

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Mercutio said:

Multiple logins, me? We are not a collective, we are all distinct individuals.