LogMein free is terminating access

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
LogMeIn Blog

LogMein Blog said:
After ten years, LogMeIn’s free remote access product, LogMeIn Free, is going away. Starting in January, we will be unifying our portfolio of free and premium remote access products into a single offering. This product will be a paid-only offering, and it will offer what we believe to be the best premium desktop, cloud and mobile access experience available on the market today. We will be notifying those impacted by the change in the coming days and weeks. In the meantime, we wanted to take a minute to explain the change and help users of LogMeIn’s access products better understand what this means for them.Starting in January, we will gradually migrate users of LogMeIn-branded remote access offerings and Ignition-branded remote access offerings to a single, premium access product. Subscriptions will include LogMeIn’s signature remote access to two or more computers, premium mobile apps for Android and iOS, and native Mac and Windows desktop apps. Additionally, all users who purchase a subscription to LogMeIn Pro will be upgraded to a premium remote access experience, with capabilities that include integration with popular cloud sync and share products like Cubby, Dropbox, Box, Google Drive and SkyDrive, the ability to manage and transfer cloud and local files, remote printing and more.
It’s worth noting that Central customers will not be impacted by this change (please see FAQ). In addition, this change does not impact other freemium products in our broader portfolio, like join.me and Cubby.
We understand that with any change come questions and potentially concerns. You can find the answers to what we anticipate will be the most common questions here. In addition, we are dedicating an area of our community site for fielding questions and feedback.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I can't think of a strong enough expletive to offset my anger and frustration at this. I don't WANT fucking Cubby, Dropbox, Box, Google Drive and SkyDrive, OR the ability to manage and transfer cloud and local files, remote printing and more. :(

I CAN think of what I would like to see happen to the ass-wipes who came up with this brilliant executive decision.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to pay *reasonable* amounts for a VPN service - in fact, I'm pretty sure I'm a subscriber who's forgotten his login details. But all I need is the fucking VPN, not all this wankerous shit showered on me from on high.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm not sure if this covers Hamachi or not. The language of the press release suggests that it does, but Hamachi in and of itself has always been outside the main LogMeIn software suite. I use Ignition about once every two weeks to get to a machine at home via my tablet or phone, but I could live without it.

My clients have paid Hamachi service anyway, but the ability to establish ad hoc private networks is a big part of its power.

ddrueding

Fixture
I have a 25 user gotomypc.com account. I add/remove machines as needed. This is not the cheapest solution (cost is nearly $2k/yr), but it always works, is very fast, supports multiple users, and supports android as the client.

Mercutio

Out of interest, anyone actively using Remote Assistance that comes with Windows?

It more or less only works when every firewall along the the transit path has been configured to allow it. You can very rarely assume that to be true. I stick Crossloop on all my client's PCs for remote support or use Join.me (which is also a LogMeIn service) for people I don't think figure out how to download and install things.

TeamViewer works well, but I don't like that it leaves a nag message on the screen.

Mercutio

And for the record, since they changed the procedure again:
The Hamachi config now lives at HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\LogMeIn Hamachi\. You can either copy an old config folder to that location or specify a different one. It's a DWORD in your registry.

I make use of Hamachi's relatively static IP assignments and just spent 40 minutes trying to figure out why c:\windows\system32\config\systemprofiles\appdata\local\Logmein Hamachi wasn't working like it used to.