Long-distance GPU shopping

ddrueding

Fixture
A long time ago I built a gaming rig for a friend who has since moved away. It is a toaster-sized rig, but I have no idea the spec other than that it is running an ATI 4770. He now needs a new GPU, but I need to send it to him sight-unseen.

What I'm looking for is a 100% compatible upgrade to this. Physical size, power connector, power requirements, etc. I'm imagining that only mid-budget cards would fit that, so no price cap for now.

Thanks!

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The Geforce 750 can be found as a low-profile card that doesn't need PCIe power. It's in about the same performance niche the 4770 occupied during its day. It pains me to recommend one but they're the easy choice for modest gaming needs.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
You can go up to a GeForce GTX 970 with 4GB of RAM and fit within the same size and the same ballpark regarding the power consumption. Maybe you'd need to drop to a GeForce GTX 960 if the power supply isn't more than 450W, but even then, it would probably be fine if the rest of the system isn't too power-hungry.

Last edited:

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Power-wise, the XFX 4770 draws about the same amount of watts as the Asus GTX 970 Mini. The 4770 uses a 6-pin power connector, the 970 uses an 8-pin. Either unit should not be drawing more than 230 watts when under full load from a game (e.g. Crysis DX10 at 1,920 x 1,200 0xAA 16xAF for the 4770).

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I disagree. The 4770 barely tops 100W in full cry - the most I could find in a googled test was 110W max without overclocking.

There's a good chance that the PSU is only 300W, in which case you may prefer to either wait for a GTX 950 or settle for Merc's recommendation of a GTX 750. This is still a fantastic upgrade; the 4770 was crippled with just 512MB of RAM and a 750 will run rings around it (in my experience).

I have some experience with toaster-sized rigs, and getting rid of heat is at least as much of a problem as keeping within the limits of the Power Supply Unit.

If there's 450W on tap, I would still be reluctant to stretch to a GTX 970. Apart from anything else, the 4770 required a 6-pin power connector (because it exceeded the PCIe allowance by about 20W), not an 8-pin. CougTek's fallback option of a GTX960 is a better bet, IMO - look for a 6-pin connector model to avoid the hassle of an extra adapter.

ddrueding

Fixture
I can completely see your point time, and we'll see how that GTX 970 Mini works as it is arriving Monday. Worst case we'll machine out the side of the case (I know of a metalshop near him).

I built the system ages ago, but I can't imagine I put in less than a 450W PSU.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
Sorry, didn't make myself clear. According to TechPowerup, the GTX 970 can exceed 180W in game play. That's a long way from the 4770 with ~100W.