Low power 2TB options?

ddrueding

Fixture
I don't mind Seagate products, though some here have stronger (and negative) opinions. Samsung is just about everyone's favorite drive maker, including mine.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I'd try the Samsung and may get a couple for myself. ;)

LunarMist

Is the former drive acceptable for use at this time?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I don't see why not.

But I found a steal at newegg for $130 on the seagate mentioned for two recertified drives. I figured the extra speed would be nice and they still run fairly cool, warm but definitely not hot.

First one looks perfect but the second I heard a click every once in a while and it was a little spikier. Both survived writing about 1TB of data to them at once and 9 or more hours of spinrite6 at level 4 so I called them good and put them in the home server.

Drive-1tbtest1-HDtach.png

Drive-2tbtest4aftermbr-HDtach.png

Drive-2filecopyspeed-transfers.png

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Looks like the seagates are on sale at the moment too. Brings that cost premium per GB a little closer in line to the 1TB and 1.5TB models.

* Original Price: $179.99
* You Save: $20.00
* Free Shipping
* Your Price:$159.99

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yeah, according to reviews there the Hitachi followed by the WD Green drive are the ones to get. Newegg doesn't seem to move a lot of samsungs, wonder why. Notice that about a third or more of the reviews don't have the "This user purchased this item from Newegg" text there, these are just random people strolling by and putting thoughts in there. Some of those even plainly admit that isn't the right product they are reviewing. Meh, seagate just went through a tough time with that firmware thing too.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Newegg reviewers generally aren't people you should listen to about anything. They don't buy enough parts to have any basis for evaluation. Some guy gets a drive damaged in shipping or fucks up a motherboard he's never tried to use in a build, and he gives it a bad review.

If I see 300 people with a one star review on a motherboard, that might give me pause, but most stuff that thousands of people buy is going to get knocked down just because the people who feel the need to submit a review are the people who are pissed about something that didn't work.

LunarMist

In the past I've run several different stats in comparing drives and there is often a significant difference between particular models. Of course there can be a bandwagon effect, but when I see p <0.01 for n>100 OEM drives it is difficult to simply ignore the differences without having a specific reason.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
Newegg reviewers generally aren't people you should listen to about anything. They don't buy enough parts to have any basis for evaluation. Some guy gets a drive damaged in shipping or fucks up a motherboard he's never tried to use in a build, and he gives it a bad review.

If I see 300 people with a one star review on a motherboard, that might give me pause, but most stuff that thousands of people buy is going to get knocked down just because the people who feel the need to submit a review are the people who are pissed about something that didn't work.

Most of the bad reviews I read there were from people that were trying to do something the device wasn't designed to do. (This Intel MB won't overclock -1 egg) (This $39.00 RAID controller won't do RAID 50 - 1 egg) (This 2TB hard drive is real slow to load [Quake, Doom.....] 1 egg)

LunarMist

True, but many DOAs or mechanical problems are observed. I don't think there is correlation of clueless users that is different between brands.

LunarMist

You are assuming the sample is not representative of the population or DOAs are not linear with the number of samples due to failure clusters?