MAG 972PF-s 19" CRT any good?

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Best Buy has the MAG 972PF-S for $99 after rebate. I've been in need of a better monitor than what I'm using for a long time. In case anyone is curious, my original 15" monitor got too dim to be useable about a year ago. Ever since I've been using a 15" I found by the curb. The color isn't too bad but it's too small and there is distortion on one side. I've been wanting to upgrade to a 19" for CRT for quite some time but have been waiting until someone has a $99 special. If the MAG is any good it might be just what I'm looking for. Any experiences with it? If it's a POS I'll avoid it.

ddrueding

Fixture
Although I have no personal experience with it, I can look at the specs and be cautious.

Dot Pitch: 0.25 is mediocre.
Resolution: 1280x1024@76hz MAX, Although this is likely the resolution I'd use, most CRTs don't perform well when operating at max spec.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Had two mag monitors with several problems with both of them. Not recomended.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I've had my 19" MAG DJ810 for at least 5-6 years. It's been fine.

For $99, I don't think you should be too picky. You probably won't find a 19-incher that is much better in the price range you're considering.

If you're worried about quality & price, you should probably buy a higher end used monitor.

C

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
Older MAG monitors were great; these days, at best, they're nothing special. I can't speak for build quality, but as far as price-for-specification, if you're not looking to do anything horribly exciting, this will do.

I'd also suggesting looking into higher-end used/refurbished monitors.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Mate, you're running a 15 inch screen you found in the street. Any 19 inch screen is going to be about 197,675,231.04 miles better than what you have now. Even if it won't switch on it's going to be better than the clunker you use now.

Go for it!

Buck

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.hlmcompany.com
Tea said:
Mate, you're running a 15 inch screen you found in the street. Any 19 inch screen is going to be about 197,675,231.04 miles better than what you have now. Even if it won't switch on it's going to be better than the clunker you use now.

Go for it!

Exactly, you already own a piece of junk, how much worse can it get? For $99.00 you'll be thrilled with the results.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
jtr, seriously, buy a lease-returned 19" or 21".

I bought a couple 2-year-old Viewsonic P-series (high-end) 19" CRTs for $60 apiece last week. They're gorgeous and other than the fact that one obviously had some stickers on it, perfect. I don't know where they're sold in your area, but locally about every second screwdriver shop has at least a small selection of refurb/off-lease equipment that's way, WAY better than the $100 cheapie monitors that Best Buy sells.

Honest.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
The used monitor idea sounds interesting. I'm not sure where I would look, though. There's not too many mom and pop computer stores around here. On eBay the shipping would be prohibitive.

As I'm sure you've guessed, I have budget constraints. I've been wanting a 19" flat CRT for quite some time. I'd be willing to pay more than $99 for something with better specs, but not a whole lot more for two reasons. First, my income situation lately isn't too pretty. I'd rather not hit the bank account if it can be avoided. Second, if I went too high end on a 19" CRT I could probably just get a 17" LCD for the same amount.

I'm still thinking this over. Obviously the MAG will be worlds better than what I have but I'm of course concerned that it won't last. If the 972PF-S turns out to be the 75GXP of monitors I obviously won't be happy.