Mars to Get Closer than Ever in Recorded History in 2003

Jake the Dog

Storage is cool
for the last few weeks, the largest melbourne based astronomy club has setting up in various places around town doing public views (for a donation of course). slo crostic and I have been planning to go for while but didn't get ourselves organised until last night. we made our way to last night's location and were priveledged to score a scope at Mars.

there were about 8 or so telescopes setup of varying sizes, from a what looked like a 3" lens 'scope to a 6ft long, 12" lens scope. we managed to get viewings through three 'scopes. ironically the smallest one we looked through was the best. through it I was able to clearly a polar cap as well as the Mars Canyon. it's was abosulutely amazing seeing the Red Planet in such detail in natural light.

our current 'closeness' to Mars won't occur again for another 40,000-50,000 years. if you have the slightest inclanation to have good look at the Red Planet whilst it's so close, I'd urge you to do so before you miss out. this last week and the next are the best time to do so.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Unless we have another blackout I probably won't be able to see it very well anyway. Damned light pollution. Guess I'll just have to wait until 46789 AD instead, or whenever the next close approach occurs. :(

slo crostic

Learning Storage Performance
It was quite excitning to see Mars up close although i had imagined it to be larger than it was through a good telescope. We did get a good look at the polar cap and the canyon. I was also quite surprised of its colour. I would have thought a telescope could bring up the redness of the planet more so than is seen with the naked eye but it actually came up whiter. I found ouyt later that the wider the lens of the scope the more light it lets in and this is what washes out the colour. Definitely worth seeing though, if only for the moment.