Maxtor Drives Still??

LOST6200

Storage is cool
I thought Maxtor had disapperred into the SegateCorp. Lately I noticed the Maxtor drives 500mB are still availeble at the reatail levels. Arethey differet physcially from Seagte drivesm, or is there some huge stickpile of old MAxTor drives still aorund?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
AFAIK, Seagate is keeping the Maxtor name around for a little while, simply for marketing reasons.

I believe current Maxtors are still Maxtors, since a large stockpile would exist, however in 6-12months, most of those should be sold, or being kept for warranty purposes.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The stuff I read indicates that Maxtor as a brand will continue to exist for the foreseeable future as Seagate's budget line, similar to how Mercury = budget Ford. I'm not sure I understand that strategy, since the price difference at retail seems to be minimal, but there is a big difference in warranty length, and for retail drives, Seagate-branded modes seem to be packaged a lot better (e.g. FreeAgent retail boxes with printing on the inside of the box).

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I thought Maxtor had disapperred into the SegateCorp. Lately I noticed the Maxtor drives 500mB are still availeble at the reatail levels. Arethey differet physcially from Seagte drivesm, or is there some huge stickpile of old MAxTor drives still aorund?

A 500mB drive would be from an ancient stickpile. :p

Handruin

Administrator
The phrase in my mind has always been Ford, Lincoln Mercury dealers...perhaps from older TV advertisements?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
In the old days Mercury was considered better than Ford. Some people bought the equivalent Mercury over a Ford because the Lincoln-Mercury dealerships provided better customer service than Ford dealerships. It probably makes little difference now.

iGary

Learning Storage Performance
AFAIK, Seagate is keeping the Maxtor name around for a little while, simply for marketing reasons.

I believe current Maxtors are still Maxtors, since a large stockpile would exist...

Many of the last "old" Maxtor models are still coming off the assembly line today, and will continue to do so until they can't sell them any longer.

Almost of Maxtor's drive engineers were laid off with the acquisition (I knew a couple of them that had been with Maxtor since the time when Maxtor acquired Digital Equipment Corporation's hard drive manufacturing operations).