Microsoft confirms UEFI fears, locks down ARM devices

Stereodude

Not really a
Well, Microsoft doesn't want you buying HW they're subsidizing and then installing Android on it. The hackers will probably find a way around it and MS looks stupid in the mean time.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Yes that thought occurred to me with subsidies but it doesn't sound like only subsidized products, sounds like all. As a lesser note there are very few tablets that are subsidized.

Also once they do it there whose to say they won't do it for desktop also? Just another step in locking down and getting rid of PC.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm not sure that I should be outraged about this. We're definitely more used to thinking that our handheld stuffs aren't open platforms like PCs. And of course I also have a sense that where one skilled hacker has a will, there is a way.

I'd rather deal with an open ecosystem than a completely closed bullshit setup like Apple has on its istuff, even if it means that we have to deal with more security issues, but I can absolutely understand the case that can be made for tight controls on user experience as well.

At the end of the day, I probably will wind up with a Windows 8 ARM device, if only because the people I work for have no problems keeping me surrounded by gadgets. I'm kind of looking forward to it; it's not like Windows has changed all that much since Windows 2000 came out all those years ago.

Vaguely related thought: Why the hell aren't there any Windows Mobile tablets?

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
I'm not sure that I should be outraged about this. We're definitely more used to thinking that our handheld stuffs aren't open platforms like PCs. And of course I also have a sense that where one skilled hacker has a will, there is a way.

I'd rather deal with an open ecosystem than a completely closed bullshit setup like Apple has on its istuff, even if it means that we have to deal with more security issues, but I can absolutely understand the case that can be made for tight controls on user experience as well.

At the end of the day, I probably will wind up with a Windows 8 ARM device, if only because the people I work for have no problems keeping me surrounded by gadgets. I'm kind of looking forward to it; it's not like Windows has changed all that much since Windows 2000 came out all those years ago.

Vaguely related thought: Why the hell aren't there any Windows Mobile tablets?

Seems like an excellent reason to skip Windows 8.

Given Win 8 on ARM doesn't have any backwards compatibility with x86 Windows apps, doesn't seem like a difficult choice.

As for why there aren't any Windows (Phone) tablets currently, that's just arbitrary idiocy (like netbooks being limited to certain screen sizes etc):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...hone-7-is-not-for-tablets-says-Microsoft.html

"Andy Lees, Windows Phone president at Microsoft, said the company did not think its mobile phone operating system would be appropriate for a tablet device.

Speaking at the company’s Worldwide Partner Conference in Los Angeles, Mr Lees said: “We view a tablet as a PC.”

He said that certain functions from the desktop version of Windows, such as printing and networking, would be essential for tablet users.

Microsoft’s position is almost the opposite of that of Apple, one of its key rivals and the current leader of the tabloid computing market."

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Well at least they aren't locking down the PC versions, yet. I think that they are going to take their experience with the xbox, which I believe to be one of the most secure consumer systems out there, and translate that to their tablets.

From a standpoint of subsidies / carrier mods and control I don't get it, I don't see that it applies and microsoft selling software and not hardware. Not sure why they are so intent on locking the box down so other software can't use it.

http://www.theverge.com/microsoft/2...s-8-arm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
It seems likely to me, that eventually OEM's, under contract with Microsoft, will lock down OEM PC's. Really, the only reason it has never happened was that it was inconvenient to do but once the capability is built into the standard BIOS it just becomes self evident that it will happen in mass. I can't see how Microsoft would have it any other way for it locks in a total monopoly. Further the OEM's will do it for the subsidy that Microsoft will give them. It is a Win Win for them and a total lose to consumer. Who cares about the customer when there is profit to be made by abusing them?

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I don't think it will happen, at least not at the behest of Microsoft. Too many organizations need to be able to manage their own software loadout on new systems.

That being said, I can see some companies doing it on consumer class products. They would probably claim that it improves system security or reduces support costs or something.