Microsoft Mice...

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Say what you want about Microsoft, about it's less than savory business practices and not listening to consumers and whatnot, but they make some damn good mice.

I bought this mouse (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wir...qid=1388774243&sr=8-4&keywords=wireless+mouse), and I couldn't be happier. Bluetrack or whatever it is makes it even easier to use my mouse on, say, my bed. Also, while some of you might like a smooth scroll wheel better, I prefer exactly the opposite. And this one couldn't be much click-ier if it tried. The switch on the bottom is much easier to flip on and off for me (I used to leave mine on all the time just because switching it off hurt my nails (or what little bit I had left of them). And, last but certainly not least, it is very comfortable. A steal at just $14. If I had more money, I'd buy a couple more. You know, for when the first one finally dies some 20 years later.

Also, back when I was working on my P3-866 in middle school, I had an old Microsoft serial mouse. No scroll, but it went through serial. Yellowed with age (that tends to happen with beige plastic - - look at the SNES!) Still worked perfectly after what must have been over 20 years in service, in a middle school full of kids that are abusive to electronics. Also, the old MS USB mice. My birth mother had an optical one and still uses it perfectly to this day. It's yellowed with age, and the silver paint on the side buttons is long gone, but it works like a charm. After about 10-15 years. That mouse is easily as old as I am, one of the first USB (or optical) mice ever (I heard my birth mom paid an arm and a leg for it when new.)

MS keyboards I have not been so fortunate with. Two MS keyboards I bought didn't work right the minute I brought them home, brand new. On one the keys in the P row wouldn't work from the P key all the way to the right (to the left worked perfectly). I was pissed, needless to say, I had dropped $50 on this multimedia keyboard (one of the first wireless ones), shredded the package trying to get it open, and now the damn thing didn't work.

Another one I had, the C key would not work at times. I had to obsessively clean that key because the minute I got a little careless, all of a sudden it didn't work. By the time I discovered it, I had long since thrown away the package because I thought it worked fine.

So yeah, keyboards and operating systems may not be their strong suit these days, but gaming consoles and mice? Definitely.

Speaking of mice, I figured out how to disable my touchpad when a USB mouse is plugged in through Linux. A program called Touchpad indicator (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=37690, I know it says Mint, but supposedly this works for Debian and Ubuntu as well, scroll a little bit past mid-way down) has options to allow you to run it at start up, disable it at start up, disable it while a USB mouse is plugged in, disable it while typing, etc etc.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My biggest annoyance with Microsoft Mice is that Windows downloads and installs Microsoft's extra configuration software if it detects one.
My second biggest annoyance with Microsoft's pointing devices is that they don't make a proper thumb-control trackball. Logitech is the only company that still makes those, and the only model they're still selling these days is the wireless version.

I'm a pretty big fan of Logitech's unifying receiver for wireless input devices. It's a sort of proprietary bluetooth-like tech, but unlike BT I've never had a pairing failure once a device is configured for a particular receiver.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Yeah, those are things I don't like about Microsoft mice, but try a serial one! It doesn't have additional config software! I also like Logitech's unifying reciever. Makes it easier... when I have both a wireless keyboard and mouse.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
My second biggest annoyance with Microsoft's pointing devices is that they don't make a proper thumb-control trackball. Logitech is the only company that still makes those, and the only model they're still selling these days is the wireless version.

You must have a strong ulnar collateral ligament. Trackballs always killed me.

Handruin

Administrator
Humorous afternote: I just looked at the mouse again and it's up to... wait for it... $35. Wow.

I just looked at it and it's $14.99. I had a MS mouse many years back and it was fine. I've much-preferred the Logitech G5/G500 series for my current needs. It probably seems silly to some, but I really like the added weights. A heavy mouse feels better to me.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm using R.A.T.9s everywhere at this point. I also like some of the added weight, and the customizable size (I have big hands). The batteries are starting to exceed their lifetime, though. Thinking of building a larger one and ditching the weights.

LunarMist

I don't like the USB mice for laptops as they take up a USB port and the tiny adapter is easy to lose. Unless the laptop is ancient or really cheap it most likely has a blue tooth. I use several of the MS BT mobile BT mice, but they are no longer made.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
The adapter is intentionally tiny so that you can leave it permanently plugged in and therefore not lose it. :dunno:

Handruin

Administrator
The adapter is intentionally tiny so that you can leave it permanently plugged in and therefore not lose it. :dunno:

I agree. I like that the adapter is small so that I don't notice it. I do forget to unplug it and store it in the mouse sometimes. That's a pain when I go into my computer bag and grab the mouse only to not have the adapter because it's in another system.

LunarMist

Exactly. I want to be able to use one mouser on three Laotians.