Mobile Networks

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The bars have never meant anything tangible. They're a comforting lie, like Santa Claus or the existence of a loving god. I've been plenty of places where I had "four bars" but couldn't place a call on Verizon or Sprint and I think we've all had dropped call experiences.

The thing is, 99% of the time I don't think I care. It's a cell phone. If I wanted or needed utterly reliable telephone or internet service, I'd go to a place and use something that has proper wires.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
There is nothing new about that. I receive less bars at work than home, but usually much higher transfer speeds at work. The only time I care about the bars is when there is almost no signal to even make a phone call

LunarMist

The bars have never meant anything tangible. They're a comforting lie, like Santa Claus or the existence of a loving god.

The idea of Santa Claus seemed scary to me as a small child. I could not understand how he could to gain access to the house when the doors were locked at night.

LunarMist

Yes, but there was a screen. Once there was a bird that got into the house that way and a guy came to repair it. The old screen was too small for a person to fit through.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Something I wasn't aware of is that the 14.4 speed the iphone4s is capable of under hspa isn't even really considered hspa+, let alone 4g. That really was a triumph of marketing. Heard on verge mobile podcast.

Mercutio

When Apple doesn't coordinate well with carriers, the carriers clearly need to be more like Apple! :rotfl:

LunarMist

Well that's what happens when you buy on the first day. And what fool stands in line for eight hours?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I know first day is asking a bit much (maybe) but I still get a bunch of questions about using the prepaid plans on iPhone in other forums, ongoing for at least a year now. People are still being told they can't do it. The sales people in these cellular stores really don't have a clue most of the time.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Data caps, no kidding:

Video Speed Trap Lurks in New iPad
Users Find the Superfast 4G Link Carries a Big Cost: Churning Through Data Limits in Mere Hours

http://allthingsd.com/20120320/video-speed-trap-lurks-in-new-ipad/

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303812904577293882009811556.html?mod=djemalertTECH

"With LTE, the quality and the streaming is fantastic," Mr. Wells said. "But man, you're really limited in terms of the amount of content you can consume."

Mr. Wells's father, Steve Wells, also hit his data limit on Saturday. While he was at the basketball game with his son, his wife was using his iPad as a video baby monitor for his granddaughter while she napped in another room. By the time the two were back from the game, the app had burned through his two gigabyte plan.

"All the advantages of the iPad device are completely neutralized by the two gigabyte data limit," said Steve Wells, 56.

Mercutio

Didn't everyone with two IQ points to rub together already know that was going to happen?

I have a student who managed to get a $350 Verizon bill because he went over the data cap on his LTE service by some utterly ridiculous amount. Basically he played movies from Netflix 8 - 10 hours a day for several days.

LunarMist

Isn't there an app that shows usage and an option to receive emails when a certain threshold is exceeded?

Handruin

Administrator
AT&T does the same. They offer a graph and numeric values showing how much data has been used for the current month and previous months.

LunarMist

Iave an app on the phone and check it every once in a while. People should use the wifi more often for the videos.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
People should use the wifi more often for the videos.

They mentioned in the article one guy tried that first but found it to be insufficient to do the video in the cafe or hotel he was at. I think we have all seen that.

With the level these caps are at and the speed you get it's just amusing that the next time you check your email or usage could be too late.

LunarMist

I don't understand any of that stuff, but eventually one company will probably own everything and people will refer to now as the good old days.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
AT&T is blocking multiple windows phone 7 updates. I was hoping microsoft could put the mobile computing device upgrade experience in the hands of its users and they were making the right noises at the start but I guess they just can't. They better get this under control by the time 8 comes around. I don't know why people tolerate this, imagine you couldn't patch or install a service pack on your home PC because comcast said no.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/23/2898656/att-windows-phone-8107-bugfix

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windowsphone75/windows-phone-software-updates-revisited-142382

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/windowsphone75/att-continues-harm-windows-phone-users-142664

LunarMist

AT&T is blocking multiple windows phone 7 updates. I was hoping microsoft could put the mobile computing device upgrade experience in the hands of its users and they were making the right noises at the start but I guess they just can't. They better get this under control by the time 8 comes around. I don't know why people tolerate this, imagine you couldn't patch or install a service pack on your home PC because comcast said no.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/23/2898656/att-windows-phone-8107-bugfix

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windowsphone75/windows-phone-software-updates-revisited-142382

http://www.windowsitpro.com/article/windowsphone75/att-continues-harm-windows-phone-users-142664

You mean they won't allow update to ATT network phones or any phones?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
No idea. They don't care about investing to support existing users? They want to push people to buy new devices? When there is no seemingly good reason lots of bad ones are assumed.

We're not sure why AT&T is opting against releasing this latest bugfix, but it's not because it has a problem with the 8107 build itself — the Titan II on AT&T runs that very version.

LunarMist

All these updates are just crazy, but I understand the concerns. I had the blackberry for 4 years and it worked just fine. I hanoideases if it had upgradeable firmware, but I never had to do anything other than charge it once in a while.

DrunkenBastard

Storage is cool
If I log in to Sprint's web site it tells me. I have no idea what Verizon or AT&T do.

At least with Android on Verizon you get a little widget on your phone that shows your usage and limits (if any). Much better than having to login to a website IMO. And Ice Cream Sandwich (for those phones that eventually receive it) also helps keep track of usage and alerting you as you approach a limit you set.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
All these updates are just crazy, but I understand the concerns. I had the blackberry for 4 years and it worked just fine. I hanoideases if it had upgradeable firmware, but I never had to do anything other than charge it once in a while.

The thing is they aren't just phones anymore, they are mobile commuters and like any other computers they have problems and security vulnerabilities that get discovered over time. Right now the latest version of iOS has a problem in safari that you can spoof the URL line to make it look like you are viewing something like amazon and you are really pulling web pages and putting your password into some other site.

Windows phone users are annoyed at the moment because they have a bug where the keyboard goes away while they are typing and the fix for it is out, but they aren't allowed to get it.

All comes back around to we don't own the device we think we own.

LunarMist

Yes and that is why I don't trust the mobile devices. A computer is easier to control or at least easier for people like me that don't know anything about controlling the OS.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Well that's one way to go about it but I think they are a little too useful to just dismiss.

LunarMist

Egg somehow my app is completely missing. :( WTF? Can the Android do that without permission or notification?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Europe Implements Limit For Cellular Voice and Data Roaming - goo.gl/rX5kp Max $0.93 per MB of data. AT&T charges $19.99 per MB

I don't know if that has anything to do with US visitors.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Interesting

Kontra (@counternotions)
4/3/12 6:31 AM
Operators worldwide with LTE networks in 3Q11: 26.
Verizon's share of *total global* LTE subscribers: 63%.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Something nice to say about AT&T, I just unlocked my iPhone 4S with them for free. I bought it on ebay and have no idea if it has a subsidized contract against it or not.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Well my happiness with AT&T certainly didn't last very long. I just learned that they are killing the data option on the $2 a day and $.10 a minute plan in favor of much higher priced plans. And of course I have to find out on a forum and the official plan page on AT&T is not updated yet. Way to bungle that AT&T, guess what I'm going to do with my unlocked phone now?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1357547

LunarMist

I thought they could not change the rates for two years. Is the for a new plan?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Apparently anyone that doesn't switch their plan just loses the ability to add data and loses any rollover data they have. In my case that would happen with no warning whatsoever unless they send something out in the next couple of days before the cutover happens.

I'm talking about the prepaid pay as you go plans here btw, these are not contract plans.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I was so close to just saying hell with it and going to verizon, but $65 a month on discount is still steep IMO.

iPhone Again Represents Over Half of Verizon's Smartphone Sales in 1Q 2012

http://theoatmeal.com/pl/state_web_winter/iphone_verizon
verizon.jpg