Modern day tower of Babel

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Earlier this year the Burg Dubai surpassed all previous height records, including those for radio transmission masts. As of October 8, it stands at 720.1 meters (2362.5 feet) and still rising. Actual final height is still a secret, but 818 meters (2683.7 feet), or over half a mile, looks likely according to the latest plans. Wikipedia article.

Also of note is that the Burg Dubai won't retain the title of world's tallest for very long. The planned Nakheel Harbor Tower will rise to a height of over 1000 meters when it is completed around 2020.

By comparison the planned Freedom Tower in NYC is a paltry 1776 feet. :(

burj_dubai_1009.jpg

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
The higher they get, the harder they fall...

I'm sure there are some American christian-freaks who already plan to crash an airliner into it to avenge the twin towers attacks.

Handruin

Administrator
Coming soon, escape pods that jettison out the sides. If I lived or worked at the top, I'd seriously consider a parachute for when cougtek's purposed christian-freaks decide to fly a plane all the way over there to crash into their pretty building.

Handruin

Administrator
I don't know...what's the smog like in that area? You might get a face full of disgusting if you did that.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Wht a big fricking pain. Ho wlong does it take to go into the elveator, up tot tops etc. And waht aboutb the earthwuakes and windy toronadoes, etc. I wnat to be living low in such sjyscrapper.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Sure, whatever...

What about crazed people jumping off the building to their demise? It could be an awful mess from that height, bouncing off the sides, etc.:(

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Earlier this year the Burg Dubai surpassed all previous height records, including those for radio transmission masts. As of October 8, it stands at 720.1 meters (2362.5 feet) and still rising. Actual final height is still a secret, but 818 meters (2683.7 feet), or over half a mile, looks likely according to the latest plans. Wikipedia article.

Also of note is that the Burg Dubai won't retain the title of world's tallest for very long. The planned Nakheel Harbor Tower will rise to a height of over 1000 meters when it is completed around 2020.

By comparison the planned Freedom Tower in NYC is a paltry 1776 feet. :(

They're all gross testosterone manifestations of homoerotic phallic symbols, ugglifying the natural view...those damned blasphemous corruptors of the Koran :p. World would be a better place (from esthetic point of skylines/view) without this man-made blight. Pyramids and other ancient wonders of the world of primitive man are more than enough, all these modern post industrial male manifestations are an abomination that should be removed for the eyesores they are! "Trees, not skyscrapers" :D.

Speaking of more urban blight (latest post in the LED thread), something wrong with the modern middle-east mindset, they've become warped by the infidel technology :0. Then again, some hacker teenager could, far better than Cougtek's Christian fundamentalists, post gigantic video pr0n up on that screen, thereby ruining thousands of muslim minds...yeah, yay!

100-meter-tall LED screen planned for Dubai building
http://www.ledsmagazine.com/news/5/10/33