Motorola Admiral on Sprint

ddrueding

Fixture
Just got one of these to test. What a piece of crap. Andoid 2.3.5 should not be the newest OS for any "current" phone. Much less the "top-of-the-line" with direct connect. It is, however, a step up from the 1.5 on my old phone.

It even says it has 3G, though the performance over such isn't impressing me much.

Why did someone think that putting a physical keyboard on a modern phone was a good idea? The screen is 30% smaller than it should be. Obviously this is the superior option as we can see from the dominant position of Blackberry devices...oh, wait.

I'll think of more complaints soon, but I've only had it for 30 minutes.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Well good news is is you at least have a 15 to 30 day return policy.

ddrueding

Fixture
This is a free 2-week trial, part of the company's evaluation of Sprint phones and their direct connect technology. We've been on Nextel, but now that they are pulling the plug we need to evaluate other options.

I just don't know how Sprint can call this their flagship phone and keep a straight face.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
It looks like a business phone, a blackberry with larger screen/keyboard ratio.

ddrueding

Fixture
Doesn't Verizon also have a push to talk feature on some phones?

They do. My main complaint with them is that it takes as long to establish a DC connection using Verizon's service as it does to connect a regular phone call. Nextel's service is near immediate. You can tell by the sound effect that each service uses to disguise the connection lag.

It looks like a business phone, a blackberry with larger screen/keyboard ratio.

It looks like a business phone from 4+ years ago. Sacrificing screen space for anything is unacceptable these days.

ddrueding

Fixture
Another serious annoyance with this phone; when you connect the charging cable there is a bright white LED that illuminates the charging plug. It only illuminates after the cord is connected, so it isn't actually helpful, and you can't turn it off.

Anyone here sleep with their phone charging on the bedside table? Makes me wonder what sort of real-world testing this thing was put through. It is so bright that I can see all the corners of the room, and it actually surrounds the plug, so it isn't easy to block or tape over.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Sounds like your test phone should be rejected with contempt.

Back in 99 to 2001 I had a Nextel and it was pretty nice because we could talk to the rest of the crew, I can see why you would like that but apparently most of the world says they don't. Most of the construction crews I know of that used them have switched back to walkie-talkies or are using some crap push to talk phone like this.

ddrueding

Fixture
Yup. Those are pretty much the options. We are evaluating going back to radios for our field people and picking a network for the rest of us.

ddrueding

Fixture
This phone and the Sprint service were so bad that I'm moving the entire company to Verizon (120+ handsets) and having a new cell base station installed (~$150k?) so that we can get decent phones on a decent network. My S3 should be here on Friday.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
are they putting in the tower or are you paying for that?

ddrueding

Fixture
are they putting in the tower or are you paying for that?

We are currently in negotiation. At the moment we are holding the position that we will waive the monthly "rent" that landowners usually charge. We'll see where the negotiations end, but I want this pretty bad.

That's a lot of money just so you can keep up with time, dd. ;)

I haven't had a decent phone for years, and I've had it. There will probably be a half-dozen S3s on the plan, with everyone else on "normal/feature" phones. So yeah, I guess it is a lot. ;)