Moving day and furniture

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'm finally moving over next weekend. It's a holiday next week - labor day - so I won't be able to have my phone lines activated until at least September 3rd. Needless to say, there probably won't be much posting here until I get something that resembles order in my new place.

But... since I'm not gone yet... any of you grown-up types have any advice related to the purchase of furniture? I'm going to need a living room (sofa/loveseat/chair + some tables), a kitchen table and chairs and a bedroom set (mattress/frame/headboard/dressers/mirror) at least, and soon.

Is there a way to get furniture cheaper than stores sell it? Any particular brand you've owned that holds up well?

Yup, this is a stupid thing to talk about here, but it's the thing most on my mind, so why not?

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
For us, furniture falls in to two categories: Stuff you buy for now or stuff you buy for life. Stuff for now should be serviceable for 1-5 years but you have to understand that it will need to be replaced. Stuff for life is made of solid, more durable materials and should last 20+ years.

When I was starting out, Stuff for Now was my choice by necessity. Nowadays, I buy less often but buy Stuff for Life whenever possible.

I'm mostly partial to Lazy Boy for sofas & recliners. Good quality & good service if needed. Prices are fair. Cheaper than the likes of Ethan Allen and Thomasville but a little more than you'd pay at Bay or Harlem Furniture stores. For tables, dressers, etc. we like solid oak and go to Oak Creations in Arlington Heights (also in Warrenville but haven't visited that location yet).

When shopping for a dining set about two years ago, we discovered that Bay, Harlem, and most stores that advertise have rather mediocre quality goods. Oak Creations, OTOH, was excellent quality but did carry a somewhat premium price.

The wrought iron bed frame we bought in March came from Mattress Giant. Price a little high but it was the only place that had what we wanted. The mattress itself from Select Comfort (it's one of the air-adjustable units). Very expensive and they don't really come down on price.

Speaking of which, prices at any of the above places (except Select Comfort) can be talked down some.

If you mostly want Stuff for Now, check out Ikea or look for a local auction/estate sale.

It's too bad Sears' Home Life stores went under. They had decent quality stuff at reasonable prices.

- Fushigi

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Merc-

Do you expect your connection to be any better at you rnew place? Hope so!

C

Mercutio

No. I'm not moving very fair away, and in the same apartment complex. I just can't find anyplace else to live that's as affordable.

I'm stuck on a modem anyway. The county I live in has some bizarre laws that make broadband internet installation highly unappealing to landlords, so there's no apartments that offer it. Period.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Well being somewhat of an expect on "Early Divorce Motif", I would reccomend Garage Sales. I've decorated my home through purchasing at them in times past. You'd be surprised at the decent quality pieces you can pick up at bargain prices. Congrats by the way and good luck.

Handruin

Administrator
Kill two birds with one stone and get a futon. Laura and I were considering a futon for our living room before her parents gave us their couch. We have all donated furniture, which is obviously the best price...free.

You could also look into a place that sells unfurnished furniture. Sometimes they are cheaper, but you are stuck with bare wood unless you stain it yourself. Other then that I don't have any furniture buying experience...

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
A futon's matress isn't stiff enough for a 250lbs guy. I advise you to look for another solution. The quality of a matress is often not something you notice at first, but on the long-term, it can affect a lot the quality of your sleeping time.

James

Storage is cool
Yes, another vote here against futons. I only weigh about 85kg but even an expensive futon is uncomfortable and high maintenence (you have to air it every day, and it's heavy to lug around.

Cliptin

Wannabe Storage Freak
Website
www.whstrain.us
I have some pieces of furniture that I purchased because they were cheap. However, the essential pieces of furniture that I have are a mattress and frame, a computer desk, a six foot folding table and a microwave. I didn't have the mattress until three months after I moved in. I slept in a sleeping bag on the floor. These are the four pieces of furniture I can not live without.

When I purchased the mattresses I also bought a frame and made sure I got one that I could eventually bolt a headboard to.

I have a recliner in the living area that I never use along with the TV and stereo which I also never use. I started out buying stuff that would make the place look like an apartment. Now I buy on necessity.

OTOH, I haven't figured out how it is going to work if I invite someone over. No chairs.

Mercutio

My inventory right now:

1. The Loft. Six feet of oak and pine. There is twin-size bed above, a desk with room for two 19" monitors (or a 21" and a 15"), an entire component stereo and all the speakers to go with it, plus two printer carts (for more computer stuff, obviously), below. It is, quite simply, the greatest piece of furniture ever made.
2. Three 6' bookcases. Three CD racks of the same size.
3. Two end tables. More places to put computers.
4. Filing cabinet.
5. Wooden TV trays. I plan to use these for a kitchen table.
6. Dresser (I put everything on hangers, since I'm horrible at folding clothes, but I'll have a dresser).
7. Three nice office-type chairs.

Moving would be easy expect for my unfortunate tendency to accumulate books, CDs and computers.

I'd have to say that futons are probably out for me. I sat on enough of them in college to not even want to consider owning one.

Bill, do you have any hints on moving furniture by yourself? I'm kind of on my own in that department. And no congratulations yet. I just have what can officially be called the most deeply screwed up personal life in the world.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
Mercutio said:
Moving would be easy expect for my unfortunate tendency to accumulate books, CDs and computers.
For me it's VHS, DVD, and LaserDiscs. I had, at last count, about 1000 VHS, 450+ DVDs, and around 200 LDs. Add a few books, CDs, and then shelving for all of it. Furniture is much easier to move by comparison.
Bill, do you have any hints on moving furniture by yourself? I'm kind of on my own in that department. And no congratulations yet. I just have what can officially be called the most deeply screwed up personal life in the world.
Use a dolly/hand truck. Probably not an appliance dolly as their support tends to be rather shallow. A regular dolly or even a very heavy duty luggage cart (I have one from Sears that holds 275 pounds) can not only help move multiple boxes at the same time but should also help getting ackward/heavy items down staircases.

Usually, beer+pizza=moving helpers if you know anyone in the area.

- Fushigi

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Mercutio,

Actually I moved everything myself the first divorce. Back then my Son's weren't old enough yet to help. The second time I hired a local Moving guy to help. That cost about $120 which was a fortune at the time. I hate asking anyone for help! My friends all lived too far away to bother them with asking them. Sorry I don't have a better solution for you.

Bill

simonstre

What is this storage?
As I am a student, I have still a lot of friends that live not too far away. Beer + pizza = a bunch of helpers, here... But I strongly recommend that you hire someone. He won't be as clumsy as someone who never do this job, and he will be able to guide you .

I second the garage sales, because you have a bunch of furnitures to buy. As I am not so rich for the moment (damn student life), this would be my first choice. Sales that are held because of mortality are often the bests, because you can see quality stuff for a ridiculous price. Auctions are great, too.

Hope this helps!

Simonstre.

i

Wannabe Storage Freak
I don't have any good advice about furniture, but I have one very heartfelt piece of advice about moving.

If you're planning on moving on your own, for 4 or 5 days before you start the move, don't eat out anywhere. If you're not an expert chef, stick with canned, instant, or otherwise pre-made meals during those days as well.

I'll tell you why I recommend this:

I had to move on my own once, back in 1997. I had to be out of the apartment at the end of the month without fail (a new tenant was moving in on the first day of the next month). That was a situation I'd faced many times before as I was still in university, but I'd never been completely on my own. Anyway, the last day of the month was a Sunday ... which I thought was great, because I could do all the moving on Saturday, and then if I needed any extra time, I could finish on the Sunday. However, because it was a weekend, I had to arrange for the power to be cut on the Thursday (no options for Friday for some reason). With that no-power deadline looming, and just the fact that it was time to move anyway, I worked hard to get rid of as much food as possible in the weeks before the move. I did a good enough job that I wound up eating out for every meal except breakfast during that last week.

Saturday morning arrived, and I headed out early to pick up the cargo van I'd rented. Despite feeling more tired than I thought I should, I figured I was all set - all the utilities had been taken care of, I had rented a fantastic cargo van, and I had two full days to work if I needed the time. (I didn't expect it to take more than a day.) By the time I got back to my apartment however, the situation had changed. I started to feel sick. I mean really, really sick. Given the situation, I had no choice but to start work anyway. Even moving small, light items became a huge effort. I had to stop and rest after every single box. And I still had to get all of my heavy furniture and belongings out of that second story apartment down to the van at the (busy) street. By noon or 1 pm I thought I was going to die, and there was still a huge amount of work to do. All I wanted to do was crawl back into bed.

Things continued to get worse. There's nothing like struggling to drag bookshelves and boxes down a long flight of stairs while feeling like you're going to die, only to have to stop every 20 minutes to ... uhhh ... bleed some more in the bathroom. Yeah, you read that right. That's the nicest way I can put it.

A few days later, after finishing the Move From Hell (TM) and visiting the hospital, I learned from the tests they ran that I'd been nailed by campylobacter ... a bacteria that's actually responsible for far more food poisoning cases each year (2.4 million people in the US alone) than e-coli is - it just doesn't get the same media attention because it's typically less fatal. I can tell you that that fact didn't make it any more enjoyable. The CDC's site includes some information about campylobacter, including a brief mention of the "Clinical Features":

Fever, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea (often bloody).

Let me just state for the record that that's a supreme understatement - it really doesn't do the experience justice.

Like I said ... if you have no choice about the "moving on your own" thing, make sure that no one else does any cooking for you during the days before the event. I realize that I'm a king of bad luck and bad timing, but if you're doing this move without any help, it may be worth your while to avoid as many risks as possible.

Dozer

Learning Storage Performance
Website
planetdozer.dyndns.org
For the most part, moves for me have been positive, even fun. There's something about a fresh move to a fresh place. It always allows me to clean out junk that I don't need, and re-organize my things--plus I always find stuff that I thought I'd lost long ago.

Friends and family have usually been the helpers, and we always joke around, end up eating pizza, and generally have a good time...besides that, it's a great workout.

<Okay, you can puke now...geez, what's with this guy--NOBODY likes to move>

Call me crazy, but I generally have a positive outlook on life. My advice--think positively, expect the best, and roll with the punches. No matter what, by the end of the day you'll have moved from one place to the next.

Mercutio

Laptop + modem + cellphone = sorta back online. I can actually get a 33.6 connection off my cellphone, so it's actually faster than what I usually use. :)

Bought furniture today. I just had to sign my name twice and promise to pay for it in two years and they were willing to give me $12,000 in credit. I didn't even have to show a driver's license. Scary.

Moved computers and monitors today. Sold a couple to neighbors - machines I don't need any more. That'll pay for stuff I just bought, at least in part.

Dropped a box with my good stereo receiver and a 400-disc CD changer in it. Fell about 12 feet onto concrete (I tripped on a piece of chalk. Damn kids). The CD player is toast for sure. The receiver at least powered up. Onkyo makes good stuff.

Tomorrow = rack, RAID, dressers, loft, dresser and clothes.

It's too damn hot for all this...

NRG = mc²

Storage is cool
Dropped a box with my good stereo receiver and a 400-disc CD changer in it. Fell about 12 feet onto concrete (I tripped on a piece of chalk. Damn kids). The CD player is toast for sure. The receiver at least powered up. Onkyo makes good stuff.

12 feet? Did it fall an entire floor? :eek:

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!
Mercutio said:

Ouch! Perhaps you could get a 300 disc DVD changer to replace it? How many CDs do you have?

Mercutio

Both the changer and the receiver rolled down a bunch of concrete steps. I'm about to hook it up to see if it'll work, but I have a feeling I don't really want to know. Given how bad the faceplate on the receiver looks, I'm pretty sure it won't be warrantied.

I have around 3,300 CDs at the moment, and another 100 or so DVDs. Probably about 60% of what I have is audio, the rest is computer-type stuff. I have custom-made cabinets for all of them.

Nothing like Mark's book collection, but then Mark isn't trying to keep it all in an apartment, either.

I've decided that if I ever have a home, there will be ramps, not stairs. Stairs suck.

Mercutio

... and so, three entire weeks after I moved my belongings to a different apartment, I finally solved the final barrier to my enjoyment of my new dwelling by flagging down an Ameritech repair truck with a $20 bill in my hand (previous episodes in the "getting a phone installed" saga included installing the lines to a different apartment, claiming that there's nothing wrong with my lines, claiming there's "some interruption to my service", claiming "tenant was not available to provide access" (I was), and finally, the $20 and a bottle of Corona in exchange for actually fixing the problem.)

And now, I am again on the internet, in a manner that does NOT cost me cell phone minutes.

Huzzah!