My Folder/Server Fried but How Bad Is It?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Major boo-boo. I had to pull off the 60mm CPU fan from my Folding Machine to install it in a relatives system upgrade. I had forgotten that I removed the fan and fired the system back up and took off for a few hours.

When I returned, the system was off and now it won't restart. The chip is fried as the brown pcb material on the bottom of the chip around the cache is now black.

I pulled the CPU thinking that I would just get an error beep when I tried to boot and the rest of the system would be OK. But the system won't power up at all. No power to anything. I've tried clearing the CMOS but that doesn't help.

Is the whole board fried? Sheesh I just remembered I was overclocking this 1.75v AthlonXP 1700+ to 1900+ speeds too. Nasty. Is my K7S5A fried? Think there are other casualties in there too?

C

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The only answer to give is "it depends". You'll need some spare parts and a lot of patience to find out. You may be lucky and find yourself only needing a $48 XP1700.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Clocker said:
Shouldn't the thing POST without a CPU?

C

Nope. The CPU runs the instructions in the BIOS. My systems won't even post without RAM either. I'm guessing you just fried the CPU and everything else should be OK. I thought newer CPUs had built-in thermal protection such as clock throttling once the die temperature exceeded a certain level.

BTW, any pictures? :diablo:

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Heh I tried a close up pic of the CPU but it's blurry so I won't bother showing it.

Well, I pulled the PSU and swapped in my spare. The system would at least power up. I then put the old PSU back in and it now powers up normally as well.

Still no posting though. I guess I'll order a new CPU and give that a shot...

Thanks for your input guys...

C

Jan Kivar

Learning Storage Performance
Clocker said:
Shouldn't the thing POST without a CPU?

C

No. If You had bad memory it would beep, but if the CPU is not installed it doesn't do anything. The PSU will go on, HD will spin, perhaps even the fans attached to the motherboard will spin. But the board itself is dead until You put a CPU in it.

Cheers,

Jan

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
THe new CPU solved the problem. Boy, these $44 1700+ CPUs are SWEET.

I decided to keep the old 2400+ I had in the gift system I'm going to give away for myself and install the 1700+ in it instead. Without even trying, I just threw the FSB up to 333mhz . This 1700+ is running at 2200+ at the default 1.6v core. It might go further but I'm not even going to bother messing with it.

The 2400+ is happily chugging along in my server/folder (K7S5A) now...with 512MB of Kingston DDR..I'm going to try CPUFSB to see how high it will go...

Thanks for your advice guys...

C