My new project!

Handruin

Administrator
James said:
I think it's pretty nifty. I don't know what it does, but it's nifty. :)

I think it could be useful for managing news articles and information. It also has a voting system for customizable items. It's not the same user database as this forum so it could be a pain in the butt for members. Again, it's in my development section as something to play with, it may very well have no use for us. :)

Adcadet

Storage Freak
I like it. I think it'd make a great addition, especially if we use it to focus on reviews of storage stuff. Are you sure there's no way to combine the user lists? Cause that would make it really nifty, not to mention easier on you Doug.

Handruin

Administrator
I didn't receive any notification, but I did see the news article you posted. I then went through the admin section and submitted it to the front page. php nuke seems to work faily well.

I haven't decided if I will use this for the main page, I wanted to see what others thought of it first. It has customizable skins just like phpbb2 and a forum section. I would like to hack the code so that it works using the members list in this forum.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Handruin said:
I didn't receive any notification, but I did see the news article you posted.
The request I talked about was the news. Without admin rights, I have to submit my announcement to the admin (you) instead of just posting the news on the front page, which is quite normal.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Doug,

The forum link on the phpBB NUKE site doesn't lead anywhere. It would be nice if it would link to the SF forum.

I posted two other news. If you think they could interest people, feel free to post them in the appropriate section.

I hope other people here will invest some time to develop this project as I think it could be a great portal.

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
Doug,

The forum link on the phpBB NUKE site doesn't lead anywhere. It would be nice if it would link to the SF forum.

I posted two other news. If you think they could interest people, feel free to post them in the appropriate section.

I hope other people here will invest some time to develop this project as I think it could be a great portal.

Thanks a bunch for posting more news article...I was spending most of the night looking for php portals and ways to customize what you see in the develop section. I hope you don't go to great lengths just yet as that page will be moved/updated at some point. Please consider anything in the develop section as unstable.

I do appreciate you taking the time to post articles as it helps me to familiarize myself with it. I would like to include something like this on the main page and have the forum link point to phpBB2. I have disabled the php-nuke forums, as there is no point since phpBB is used. phpBB2 has a portal in the works, but it will be a long while before anything is seen. Once I work out the details with php-nuke, I may go ahead and move it to the front page. I'm trying to find new skins to use and make adjustments to the admin section. Given this site will still be here and people would like to continue on, I would be happy to work on the php-nuke some more.

-Doug

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Doug,

It would be nice if there could be sections (or categories) in the Downloads module. I'm tired to always have to search the various benchmarks I use. Including them in that section would be a time-saving task for many I'm sure.

I know that phpNUKE is only a project for now, but I think we need to invest some time to learn how to use it adequately. The sooner we can put it as the front page of SF, the better IMO.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
BTW, have you tried all the different themes? I like "Odyssey" more than the others. You probably preferd "Kaput".

Handruin

Administrator
I've tried a new theme tonight and setup a pole. If people want to check out the new theme and a few other installed, please visit:

http://www.storageforum.net/develop/phpnuke/html/index.php

Let me know if you like the look and if you think this is a helpful site.

-Doug

ps this is a test site so please do not post your heart and sole into it, it could be changed or deleted at any time.

As with anything in the develop section, data is subject to loss.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Are you telling me that you might erase all the damn links I sent there? Doug, you break my heart. :cry:

Great job with the design though. I really like the look of the 'Icey' theme.

I encourage others to visit and share their thoughts about the project front-page.

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
Are you telling me that you might erase all the damn links I sent there? Doug, you break my heart. :cry:

Great job with the design though. I really like the look of the 'Icey' theme.

I encourage others to visit and share their thoughts about the project front-page.

I will not purposley erase the links...I do value your time, but I've been trying to stress (see above posts) that the develop section is just that, a place to develop and test. I will try my best to save the work you have done...I haven't at this time done and php-nuke DB backups, but I will start.

The Icey design was made by someone else, so I can't take credit, I only added the SF logo. Thanks for submitting your feedback and comments, and also all the links and reviews.

-Doug

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
I like it, it's well desingned and very attractive. Of course...then there is that name :(

Handruin

Administrator
We can work on the name later...I do agree the name will not be as fitting since SR is alive. Maybe a new goal to set is the discussion of a new name to fit the future of this site. Anyone can register it at www.dotster.com for example and point it to this domain, it's just a matter of having the DNS switched again (along with my e-mail addresses...sigh) ;)

SF was only $15, no loss here...I'll register a new one if people think it is fitting, but this can be brought up in a new thread, and even at a later date as people see fit.

Just my $.02

-Doug

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Coug,

You're right of course. I was just excerising my right bitch which is guarenteed by the AARP (American Asociation of Retired Persons) constitution. They invite you to join when you turn 50. I got my invitation a few weeks ago. I promptly wiped my arse with it and flushed twice. I really don't need the joy being able buy coffee at the senior citizen price at Mc Donalds. I can wait a few years until doing that will most likely be the highlight of my day, the way it seems to be for all the other old farts who set up camp in Mc Donalds every morning. :)

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
That was meant to be addressed to Doug and Coug,

Senility's to blame no doubt. :eek:

Handruin

Administrator
flagreen said:
That was meant to be addressed to Doug and Coug,

Senility's to blame no doubt. :eek:

:D

but, but.... I'm not making any pokes at you regarding age... I'm only trying to get the dang portal working... arg, off to bed. :zzz:

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Tannin mentioned in another thread -
I guess my question is this. What can we do here that isn't going to make us just another "me too" hardware site? Somebody needs to come up with something really creative, something different, something that will make us unique.

Well I hope this idea does not offend anyone. If it does please forgive me in advance for suggesting it.

But as far as a "catchy" site name and theme what do you guys think of "The Apostles of PC" less the spaces of course. The Domain name is available.

There are 12 Admins so that brought it mind.

I like the "Apostles of PC" because it reminds me of "the apostles of rock and roll".

Of course we would risk some dullards who might think PC stood for political correctness. And we might also draw the wrath of the extreme Christian right.

Those of us who already have Apostolic Names such as Mark, Andrew, James etc are all set. The rest of us could take whatever names were not taken. I mean to use only when publishing on the site or posting in the forums. I don't want Judas though, we might have to wait a while to see if anyone qualifies for that one! Tony, as our fearless leader, Rather than being JC would be PC. No crucifixion required by the way.

No I have not been drinking tonight!

Articles submitted by Mathew, Mark, Luke, or John are bound to carry a bit more prestige than they would otherwise. And of course when PC speaks through his prose with words of wisdom, all will listen.

Moderation would be a snap. Who is going to back talk an Apostle when he speaks?

And of course there are other sub themes we could adopt such the ten commandments of micro processors, or the 10 commandments of storage, or this or that.

Ok, so this is one of those ideas which may or may not be asinine and juvenile. In that case you guys have a good giggle over it. You young whipper-snappers!

Of course, none of this has anything to do with site content. Which is most likely what Tony means above. Was there a dumb Apostle? Dopey? oh wait.. he's one of the seven dwarfs isn't he. Well if the shoe fits...

Dopey

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
BTW - "PC and the 12 Apostles" might be available as well but mostly would get the server struck with a lightning bolt!

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
There are thirteen admins now, Flagreen, fourteen if you count me. :) Still, we could always shoot a couple. I'd recommend starting with Tannin but if you need it I can give you a little list of other names as well.

When I'm in my other phase (i.e., when I'm Tannin) my given name is Anthony but my middle name is Peter. Would that qualify?

But alas, whatever else you might say about Tannin, ny dear Flagreen, I don't think anyone would ever describe him as "PC". :)

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Actually "PC and the 12 Apostles" is available. Doo-whop.. Doo-whop, Would duck tails for Admins be a requirement? As for who should get shot, great idea for another poll. :)

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
BTW - Working from a faulty memory here and driven by boredom, as I recall there were two James', Judas' and maybe even two Andrews? Paul was not actually one of the 12 so I guess that would leave that name as a 13th which could be used. Tea of course.... well... she could be either the Virgin Mary or Mary Magdalene. We probably should poll on that as well.