NaCL Performance?

ddrueding

Fixture
Breaking in a new server. I've assigned 40 1.7Ghz cores to the NaCL client. A 2981 takes about 3 minutes. Is this ok? This is in an Ubuntu VM under ESXi, and I have no idea where to find a "task manager" type application to view system utilization.

ddrueding

Fixture
Couldn't find my way to a console, but I found the "System Monitor", which is only showing 32 CPUs. But at least they all seem to be near 100%.

Oban 14 is my new favorite. Better (IMHO) than even the crazy-expensive stuff my father-in-law brought.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Make sure you take the slider and move it to full. There is a 60% drop in CPU usage by keeping it at the default medium.

You can check CPU utilization using the task manager or some other process viewer. The NaCl client lists its process as either Chrome or NaCl depending on the OS you are using.

At 3 minutes/WU at 125 points/WU and 1440 minutes/day then you are getting roughly 60,000 PPD. (60x24/3)x125 = 60,000. With 40 cores bigadv or even SMP is likely to do better.

As a comparison, my 4 core Q9450 @ 2.66GHz does a WU in 10-11 minutes.

Do note that very recently PG removed the QRB from the NaCl client but upped the base points from 10 to 125 points. While for low-end CPU's and part timers that is all to the good but the high-end machines are switching from an exponential PPD curve to a linear one which drops their potential.

PG did have a legitimate reason though. The NaCl client was completing WU's too fast and people were using it to bypass the 80% successful return rate requirement for QRB. You can kill a lot of GPU WU's if someone can generate 150-500 QRB WU's in a day by running one NaCl client on a relatively modest CPU.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Could someone explain this NaCL client? Thanks
The NaCl client runs F@H from an app from inside the Chrome browser using Google's native client (Hence the name NaCl). It can be found in the Google app store for free. It is the first folding client entirely written under open source rules so the source code is availible. The speculation is that this will move to the pNaCl (portable NaCl) and from there on to android devices like cell phones.

The NaCl client is designed for a very low cost to entry folding client for the new folder. It has very minimal controls and with virtually no monitoring capability other than what can be seen on the browser page. It runs very small work units appropriate for low-end CPU's and part-time folders that have difficulty completing, in time, the standard WU of the full v7 client.

For More information:

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=25878
https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=26171