Need a Decent Phone

sedrosken

Florida Man
And I finally pulled the trigger on a three version old XR. I ordered one that was specified as being in "Excellent" condition, we'll see how good of a job they did refurbishing it when I have it in hand. I ended up going with a 128GB because I don't really need to carry 6+ days worth of music in my pocket, that's just dumb -- I can pare it down to just stuff I actually listen to, and cut it down to something manageable codec-wise too. The 256 carries quite the premium -- I got my 128 for only a bit over 300 dollars as opposed to the 400+ the 256GB models go for right now.

I pursued some other options, but this is the best bang-for-buck one. There's a couple features coming that won't make it to the XR, but the one I cared about won't make it to the 11 either, and the other one I couldn't possibly care less about (it's Apple Pay related, and I didn't use that even back when I had my SE 2020). I'd be shocked if they drop it any earlier than iOS 18, given that it's got such an install base -- I remember reading, don't remember where, that the XR is now the most-sold single model of iPhone ever, they'd be insane to drop support while so many people still use it.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Finally got my XR, after a fiasco in which my original order got stuck in Georgia where the handoff from DHL eCommerce and USPS was supposed to take place. Got refunded and ordered from a different seller, even saved a little money doing it, and of course once they finally got it to the post office, it was in my hands 4 days later. From Michigan. Damn you, DHL. First impressions:

- The screen is obviously a new replacement. It's completely unblemished and even came with the factory screen protection still on.
- The metal "lip" had the paint flake off in a couple areas, or it got scratched -- whatever the reason, it's showing bare metal. That's fine, my case covers it anyway.
- The battery is at 87% health. Better than I perhaps expected considering all these eBay listings mention the battery is at least 80% healthy -- I guess I just got lucky. I won't need a replacement anytime soon, hopefully, but if it drops below 80 I'm definitely having it done. I'm already taking a massive hit to battery life by going back to Apple in the first place.
- Cell signal is much improved over my Moto G Power, to an almost laughable degree. It's reporting just a bar less than my S20 Ultra I have from work, when the Moto G Power didn't have signal at all in this area I've moved to.
- This thing is FAST. If I hadn't known it was a 3-4 year old phone going in, I would have thought it was brand new. It even puts my work phone to shame, sometimes. The FaceID is not noticeably slow at all -- I unlock my phone and it's just... ready.
- If you don't pay extra for more iCloud storage, you'll ram right up against the limit immediately if you allow your phone to be backed up to it. Don't ask me how I know.
- The extra breathing room is worth it, never buy the bottom of the barrel model -- I could never go back to a 64GB device.
- Relatives asking why their text bubbles for me suddenly turned blue again are getting annoying.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
The Samsung A53 is coming. On paper it looks good, especially the longer OS and security update period. The camera group is all in one section, so they should be easy to defeat with a single foil sticker. It sucks not to have the headphone/microphone port, but that seems to be the cost cutting seen so often nowadays. I don't know if the first releases are buggy or not though.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Website
s-laker.org
The A-series are really nice devices that have largely been very successful and reliable. They're "one step down" from flagship specs, so for example they have 90Hz screens instead of 120Hz, and use 700-series Snapdragon SoCs. You're getting specs that are probably on par with a 2 year old flagship but current software updates. That's nothing to complain about.

LunarMist

What is the point of the 90Hz or 120Hz display on a phone? Does it make the UI more responsive or just improve playing mini-games?
I think my display options are 30Hz or 60Hz on the desktop systems. 60Hz seems fine to me for normal videos.
This phone will be used exclusively for work so the A53 is about as much as I want to spend.
If the supposed long-term updates are supported by the T-mobiles it may be the last work phone or close to it. So far it is not listed on the T-mobile site, but Samsung claims it is for all of the US carriers.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Website
s-laker.org
The higher refresh rates do make the phones seem more responsive. I turn off animations and other sorts of effects for the general Android OS, but I do notice when I'm scrolling a long web page or watching a video or something.

LunarMist

I received the A53 and acrtivation will ensue in Week 19. I don't understand some things about the modern 12 OS. So far the extremely short screen form factor is worse than I thought (designed for girls hands?) and there are 5 protrusive lenses/sensors. There is no headphone jack, but I knew that. (I'd rather have jacks than the lenses and sensors that will be covered anyways.) They totally rip you off by not even including a power supply. :( They only include a short, WHITE USB A-C cable. :rolleyes:

LunarMist

Is that personal or for work? I'm hoping to make it until maybe the S23+ for personal.

Handruin

Administrator
This is for my personal phone. I don't have a work phone, I use a work profile on my personal phone to get to corporate stuff. I upgraded from a 4 year old Note 9.

LunarMist

Mine was replacing a Galaxie J7 from over 5 years ago. Ironically the software for the separate work profile are what doomed the old phone. I didn't even want it since that was for work only. I'm hoping this new phone lasts for the duration if the battery holds up.

Handruin

Administrator
I got the 256GB version. I don't need lots of space on my phone and figured this should be good for a while.