"New" drives...

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
My 80 GB WD800 PATA HDD that is in my AXP has some interesting Power-on data. Granted, it has not been on for anywhere near as long as my 250 GB in my old Inspiron 530, but for a "new" drive (I bought it "New" from Amazon some 6 months ago). I have not by any means used that drive for 1015 days and 9 hours. Nor have I powered it on 439 times.

I'm not particularly angry, I'm just interested. Does WD stress-test their HDDs?

Chewy509

Wotty wot wot.
Yes, all manufacturers test their drives, but if those numbers are correct, then I hate to tell you, that's an old drive. (Most drives I've just tested brand-new out of the packet, all have less than 5 power up on the count - mix of WD and Seagate).

What's the exact model number on the WD800? (From that we should be able to give a manufacturers time frame - or you can check for a warranty end date (according to WD) here: http://websupport.wdc.com/warranty/warrantycheck.asp?custtype=end ).

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
An WD800BB could be 12 - 13 years old, though WD had a habit of changing underlying platter properties without changing the model number. Buck is the person who would be able to tell exactly even if the warranty is so far gone that the validator just laughs at you.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
80 GB WD800 PATA HDD ..... I bought it "New" from Amazon some 6 months ago

Call me.

I have a bargain for you.

(I hope that you are interested in bridges.)

PS. Also, do you collect coins? I have a genuine Roman Empire penny which is almost 2100 years old! It has Mark Antony's head on one side, Octavian's on the other side, and is really old, you can tell by the date marked on it, 49 BC.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Website
sedrosken.xyz
Call me.

I have a bargain for you.

(I hope that you are interested in bridges.)

PS. Also, do you collect coins? I have a genuine Roman Empire penny which is almost 2100 years old! It has Mark Antony's head on one side, Octavian's on the other side, and is really old, you can tell by the date marked on it, 49 BC.

You know, the sad thing is that I know what that whole "I have a bridge to sell you" joke is all about, though it is long before my time.

I honestly wasn't expecting too much, coming from Amazon, I just expected it to work, which it does, beautifully.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
You know, the sad thing is that I know what that whole "I have a bridge to sell you" joke is all about, though it is long before my time.

I honestly wasn't expecting too much, coming from Amazon, I just expected it to work, which it does, beautifully.

Normally I find that new hard drives have 0-1 hours and 2 power cycles. I assume there is a reset of the SMART data after the drive is formatted and tested.
What you have is a used drive that was running for almost 25,000 hours in total. :(