New Road Bicycle

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I finally bit the bullet and bought a road bike. I've been wanting one for a while now. I ended up getting a 2006 Giant OCR C3. I haven't ridden it much yet, but I have a 65 mile ride planned for Saturday. Should be a lot of fun.

I was previously on a decent, but old mountain bike with slicks on it, but this new bike is just so much faster, it's amazing.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Nice! It's got a 10-speed rear cluster, integrated brake-shift levers, and a triple crank in front so it can conquer hills as well as flats. Yes, it's amazing how much faster a decent road bike is. I rode my friend's MTB a few times. It was a stuggle to even hit 20 mph, never mind maintaining it for any length of time. My Raleigh takes me from a dead stop to 20 mph in 5 seconds flat (when I feel good and shift properly). I can cruise at 21-24 mph, and hit about 35 mph on the level if I go flat out in a good aero tuck. I'm currently upgrading it with a 10-speed 11-26 rear cluster and STI shifters, as well as new wheels/airless tires. It'll probably be marginally faster when I'm done.

BTW, a rear disk wheel cover like I have (see below) helps an already fast road bike by maybe 2 mph or so. A front cover added another 3 mph or so on top of that, but it made the bike too unstable in crosswinds, so I took it off.

Raleigh.jpg

Proof that the thing flies (this was admittedly on a downgrade):

45mph.jpg

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
JTR, you should get some clipless pedals and shoes for your bike. You can find the pedals pretty cheap on eBay. I really like my Look Keo Classics. I'm pretty happy with my Specialized shoes as well. I find that riding in traffic I actually feel more comfortable with my feet clipped in now. I never would have thought so before, but I have trouble riding with regular pedals.

These were on my old bike, and as soon as I can get the damn pedals loose from my old bike they will replace the Shimano pedals that came with the bike. I think some 300lbs professional arm wrestler must have put the pedals on my bike. Or maybe just someone with a 4 foot wrench.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I'll look into those as soon as my budget allows. I just spent ~$500 on parts for both my bikes. Neither one was really rideable any more so I had no choice. Are the clipless pedals easy to disengage? I need to stop fairly frequently for lights so that's a requirement.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Not hard at all. Much easier than regular clips. Just turn your foot to the right for your right foot and left for you left foot. Though I generally leave my left foot clipped in at lights for a faster start. Some pedals are definitely easier to get in and out of than others. If you can find a store that will let you try them first that's ideal, but most stores I have been to won't let you try clipless pedals before buying.

paugie

Storage is cool
Tim, my son and I were looking at the bike you purchased. He said to look at the larger pic and I noticed it didn't have a whole lot of spokes. He sez, it's for the road that's why.

Congratulations on that purchase. I'm 100% sure you are thoroughly enjoying it. As for us, we'll be sticking to our single speed MTB's. Lot's more huffin' and puffin' keep the calories at bay...

Who'm I kidding. It has been a losing battle with the weight for the last 30 years.

This is my bike:
paugie-2900bike.jpg

This one's his
paugie-SideView02.jpg

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
I think some 300lbs professional arm wrestler must have put the pedals on my bike. Or maybe just someone with a 4 foot wrench.

An easy way to do it is to stand on the opposite arm and the wrench. Don't forget one of holes for the pedal is left-hand threaded. I think I remember it is the right arm.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
An easy way to do it is to stand on the opposite arm and the wrench. Don't forget one of holes for the pedal is left-hand threaded. I think I remember it is the right arm.

I brought the two bikes to the store where I got the new one and they did it for free.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Actually it's the left arm. It's counterintuitive because the ball bearings exert torque in the opposite direction a regular bearing would. I installed a sealed bearing bottom bracket adaptor on my other bike in order to get rid of the high-maintenance one-piece crank. I didn't notice that they had marked the left and right sides on the adaptor, so I installed it the other way. I put the reverse thread on the left side, figuring that the bearing torque when riding would tighten it. It loosed up a few miles into the first ride. I put it the other way and it's just fine. Had it been a sleeve bearing instead of a ball bearing I would have been correct. However, by analyzing how a ball bearing works it's easy to see that the balls turning in the cage will exert opposite torque on the outer bearing cup.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
Ah yes. What tripped me up is that although the right crank-arm rotates clockwise the pedal rotates counter-clockwise relative to the spindle. Thus the pedal bearings rotate clockwise.