update New server issue thread

Handruin

Administrator
Here is a thread for you guys to let me know if something is wrong on the new server.

Edit: Also let me know if things are good! :)

Last edited:

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Wow, pages load fast! :D
No problems for me using the old domain name.

Handruin

Administrator
I hope it continues this way. We might have some bugs to iron out, but we'll get there. I do apologize that it took me this long to get things done. I feel strongly that this server will do us much better than the old one.

Handruin

Administrator
Man...the speed is way faster. I should have moved us months ago...I feel bad you guys had to suffer with that old site for so long!

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Man...the speed is way faster. I should have moved us months ago...I feel bad you guys had to suffer with that old site for so long!

Lol, Handy... u-da-man!:bravo:

It's more like going from a older browser, to say Safari 4.0 beta; it's a little faster, but not much can make a dialup connection seem faster---I'm still sufferin. Though I have had some d/l's on 10+MB files go 1.5-2x on some sites...still not fast enough to d/l any of Merc's fav vid. pr0n :( :p. You need a very fast connection to d/l some of those combo Mac OS X updates for Intel machines now, they're headed towards 1GB now.

Test will be if there are no more double posts...for those who are not inebriated :D

<edit>and it still takes about 2min from time I hit submit post button, leaving me less than 3min to do an edit, which as you know, is barely enough for those who are "Twitter Challenged" :p <edit>

Handruin

Administrator
Lunar might already be seeing some double post issues, but I've not seen any abnormal delays from the time I press submit to the time the post is entered into the forum. With the old server we would see 10+ seconds at times...here it's 1-2 seconds from post.

LunarMist

I had that problem with the old host, not being patient enough to wait for anything to happen sometimes for 10-30 sec. after pressing the button.

Handruin

Administrator
Flood control is enabled for 5 seconds so if you get trigger happy during that time it should stop you. Hopefully we won't be seeing any more 30+ second posts. The servers are also on the west cost now (CA) so they may be closer to you.

Stereodude

Not really a
Leave it to udaman to find a way to plug Apple in a post about the new sever. :rolleyes:

BTW, it's much faster Handy!

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Yeaahhh/! D
does this cost you any more monanthly? I'd be wiling to contributate something.

Handruin

Administrator
It's $5 more a month, it's not a big deal. Thanks for the offer though.

Howell

Storage? I am Storage!
So I now have this problem with a rash. And my cankles are swelling much more. Can we go back to the old server. <smirk>

Handruin

Administrator
Take some Tylenol and let me know if that fixes the issue. ;-)

Handruin

Administrator
Can you guys check something for me? What IP address do you resolve if you ping the following:

www.handruin.com
www.franticdownstream.com

For me, handruin.com resolves to the old IP (208.99.113.119). It should be resolving to (67.222.3.121).

I can't even get franticdownstream.com to ping anything which is odd.

Any thoughts why I'm getting some domains to resolve to the correct IP, and others still go to the old? Would DNS propagation really spread out like that for my ISP? Timwhit gave me the trick to do dnsflush on my machine but it hasn't helped.

Handruin

Administrator
Weird! Now when i visit franticdownstream it resolves...must be weird timing. Going to handruin.com still resolves to the old address. I don't understand DNS very well.

ddrueding

Fixture
DNS propogation is a lot like wireless, which is a lot like magic. There is a reason for everything going on, but there is no way to know enough about the situation to be able to explain why everything happens the way it does.

The last freakish DNS issue I had was that a local ISP had the idea that they were the authoritative DNS server for my domain. Anyone on their servers (or using their mail servers) didn't get to me until I sent them a nastygram.

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Didn't try to ping :p

^^^implies both urls link to same address, which implies when you click on both you should get the same webpage?

I got Handy's blog on the 1st just 5min before I typed out this post,

got this message on the 2nd:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /cgi-bin/ on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8b mod_bwlimited/1.4 PHP/5.2.6 Server at www.franticdownstream.com Port 80

*edit* : though it only took me 40sec this time before the page loaded to completion before I hit the edit button...typing this as fast as I can, think I still have 3+min to edit...how many more characters can I type :D?

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
Can you guys check something for me? What IP address do you resolve if you ping the following:

www.handruin.com
www.franticdownstream.com

For me, handruin.com resolves to the old IP (208.99.113.119). It should be resolving to (67.222.3.121).

I can't even get franticdownstream.com to ping anything which is odd.

Any thoughts why I'm getting some domains to resolve to the correct IP, and others still go to the old? Would DNS propagation really spread out like that for my ISP? Timwhit gave me the trick to do dnsflush on my machine but it hasn't helped.

Both are resolving to 67.223.3.121

udaman

Wannabe Storage Freak
Uh, so what just happened 15-30min ago when I couldn't get the site? clicked on browser history link for main index, browser came up with error message that site was not available?

Heh, site sure is fast now :D. Almost like having a slow DSL or cable connection. (will probably be a bit faster once I start up from my OS X 10.5.6 partition and use Safari Beta 4... woot! think of how many posts and long rants and edits I can do now...you've unleashed a Pandora's box :D)

Now if Handy can just get all the other sites running this fast... :(.

Last edited:

Handruin

Administrator
I didn't get any notice the server was done, but I'll go check.

Handruin

Administrator
This is our new SF server that I have full control over:
root@host [~]# uptime
22:14:59 up 309 days, 22:46, 1 user, load average: 0.01, 0.02, 0.00

It's still possible the network could have gone down, but this hosting company is known to have very high uptime figures.

LunarMist

SF has been doing fine all evening. Maybe Uda has flaky cable or - dare I say it - a Mac problem. :D

Handruin

Administrator
Let me know if you notice any weirdness. I like that my posts go through in seconds and there's no stupid weirdness during the days where it takes 30 seconds to load a page.

Seems like you guys have been posting a lot more since the move, but it could just be my imagination.