Newegg Shipping, WTF?

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I wanted to order from the egg yesterday and was chagrined to see that they no longer offer either UPS or Fedex. :rant:
Since I am never at home during the work week, I need to pick up packages at UPS or the regular FedEx depots.
(FedEx home is 35-40 miles away and they bounce $6000+ value packages off the door without signature, so that any kid in the neighborhood can steal them).

Given the lack of retail stores in the area that do not require a long (weekend only) drive, I'm really at a loss how to proceed with computer-related components, etc. :cry:
What reliable vendors do people use that offer Fedex or UPS? Thanks.

LunarMist

Interesting. I'm not familiar with that.

I cannot have packages delivered to the office facility.

LunarMist

Has anyone use the NE shipping, for jasik or anything?

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
Is this something special for an item you are getting? Their help pages mention UPS and FedEx still.

I admit I haven't used them for a couple years though.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
Both Newegg and Amazon are doing weird things with shipping now. What they're actually trying to do is get shipping that is as fast and as local as possible. About a third of my Amazon deliveries now come from one of two companies that literally just hires "some guy in a car" to drive to a warehouse, pick up my crap and bring it to me.
Sometimes this completely sucks (these guys will make delivery attempts to business addresses at 10PM on a Saturday), but sometimes I'm getting same day deliveries for semi-rural Northwest Indiana. Sometimes, my deliveries are also off-loaded between UPS/FedEx to the USPS, presumably because that's cheaper than paying a guy with a truck to deliver stuff.
The down side to this is the fact that we might not be given direct control over shipping methods any more. I'm not going to complain if I get things a day (or two!) early, but I can see how that would be painful for other people.

And yes, I sympathize with you guys who don't have an office to take deliveries for you. I can't tell you how many times I had packages stolen from my door when I wasn't home.

Handruin

Administrator
After my last package was stolen, UPS won't leave them any more. I go online and select the Will Call option and pick it up from their facility. Of course it's helpful the UPS facility is only 6 miles away and roughly on my way to and from work. FedEx still leaves packages, but it's rare that an item gets shipped via FedEx.

LunarMist

If I did that, the complaint would probably come directly from my VP. Not good.

ddrueding

Fixture
occasionally I have big stuff shipped to my house directly and they will leave anything on my doorstep. including pallets of servers. with big dell logos on them. no thefts so far.

LunarMist

No, I don't have the right clearance. It's not that there is anything bad, just too much missing and unknown.

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I have had the FedEx that switches to USPS for last mile delivery switch several times from amazon. Confusing to track but cheap and quick.

LunarMist

The 128GB 830 drives are on the way. Eggey are using the UPS carrier.

LunarMist

The egg shipping buggers the mind. Two cheap 18" cables were packaged in a large box with tons of paper and then a 400+ SSD in a flimsy padded envelope with no signature required. Bozos.

LunarMist

Perhaps, but there is no pattern to the boxes that are missing. :(

LunarMist

I'm almost afraid to ask, but is your name not really Bozo? I recall that was a Hungarian name or something.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
I'm almost afraid to ask, but is your name not really Bozo? I recall that was a Hungarian name or something.

That is not my real name. And I am not Hungarian. I'm just old enough to remember watching the real Bozo on TV, in black and white.:eek:
There are times when the old saying "If the shoe fits, wear it" really applies to me and that name.