News on the front page, not enough or too much?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Hi,

I've been more active than usual on the front page lately. It's been a very busy week regarding the news in the IT world, that's why. I would like to have your opinion about the frequency of the news posted on the front page. I still have at least 3 or 4 more stories that I could add. But I don't know if it would be too much to your taste.

Also, if you feel the news shopuld be restricted to the storage field, say it. There will be a lot less frequent updates though.

So, should I post every that I cross that could be suitable for the front page or should I limit myself to, let's say, 2 or 3 news/day?

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
As long as they fit on the front page, IMO you should post as many as you want. You have been doing a great job by the way and I for one appreciate your efforts.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I think it's about right, actually.
I don't want you to work too hard at it, but I liked that you got something up about the 800JB DAYS before SR managed it. :)

Handruin

Administrator
CougTek said:
Hi,

I've been more active than usual on the front page lately. It's been a very busy week regarding the news in the IT world, that's why. I would like to have your opinion about the frequency of the news posted on the front page. I still have at least 3 or 4 more stories that I could add. But I don't know if it would be too much to your taste.

Also, if you feel the news shopuld be restricted to the storage field, say it. There will be a lot less frequent updates though.

So, should I post every that I cross that could be suitable for the front page or should I limit myself to, let's say, 2 or 3 news/day?

Coug, if you want Xoops has a "time release" mechanism. If you don't want to update as much, you can set a date for news to be published. I haven't done it yet because i haven't had the time to collect enough worthy news to warrent this, but if you have a decent buildup of news, this might be useful.

If there is too much news on the front page, I'd be worried some would get missed. Just thought I'd throw that option out there...

-Doug

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Hey Coug, would there be a large enough base to draw hits from to justify a French language News page as well?

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Thanks for the tip Doug, I'll see what I can do with this.

Bill,

I'm not sure I understand well what you mean. Are your asking me if I could attract more people if I would create an additional French front page? Or am I misunderstanding your question (poor little me currently has a hard time to understand your sentence due to the way you formulate it and my accumulated lack of sleep - totally unrelated to the front page BTW).

I don't know many french speaking folks interested in hardware. They mostly are programmers or simple users, not DIY types.

Tea

Storage? I am Storage!
Website
www.redhill.net.au
Great idea, Flagreen. But don't think so small: why not translate the forums as well? Coug should be able to translate all our posts easily enough. Hell, I don't believe in making people work too hard, we will give him the whole weekend to get the Computers page done. Then he can start on the Pub.

Bartender

Storage is cool
Website
www.mittelsmann.net
Tea said:
Great idea, Flagreen. But don't think so small: why not translate the forums as well? Coug should be able to translate all our posts easily enough. Hell, I don't believe in making people work too hard, we will give him the whole weekend to get the Computers page done. Then he can start on the Pub.

While we're at it, we can have our second class citizen, slave Buck, translate the lot into German! <crack of whip>

<Buck begins singing>Swing low, sweet chariot...

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Coug you got my meaning and have already answered my question.

Tea - Since Coug undoubtedly thinks in his native French, he must translate anyway as he writes the news stories. The forums on the other hand, which he does not write, are another matter altogether. However it might be a nice touch were you to get Tony to translate the forums into Latin. Yes, it's a dead language, but wow - it would give the site such "Style".

Mercutio

I think Ars Technica already has the market cornered on that one.

I have a friend who can translate into Gaelic, Welsh, Basque, Portugese, Spanish, Hebrew and (ancient) Greek. PeeWee can probably handle Italian, too. Not that I think that's helpful.

flagreen

Storage Freak Apprentice
Tannin said:
Quantum ille canis est in fenestram?
I'll take a stab at it - How much is that dog in the window? - I don't know. But it sure looks classy!

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I utterly refuse to translate the work of Tony, Santilli, The Giver and some post from HellDiver. There's long and long and their posts ARE long. I don't have THAT much time to kill. Ask another slave.

Mercutio said:
PeeWee can probably handle Italian, too.
I knew you would love it :D BTW, he's Greek, not Italiano.

Mercutio

I know that, of course. But seeing that he's in Italy, he probably doesn't get much use for his native language.

My posts aren't long enough to complain about? I'm hurt.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I like all the News posts and would like to see more. As much as possible. Then, I'd have no reason to visit Anand.

Great job Coug and Doug (hope I didn't miss anyone).

C