No Connection to the Internet Is Currently Available --Win98

Gilbo

Storage is cool
I'm trying to get internet access up and running on a Windows 98 laptop that belongs to a friend. Networking works. The computer can ping the LAN's router, but it can't see the internet. Stupid Windows :x.

I found this Microsoft support article and I did everything suggested and edited the registry, but it had no effect and I am now at a loss. LoadSENS keeps being changed to "Yes" on restart. I don't know if this is supposed to happen.

Trying to fix Windows computers makes me long for the openness of Linux. Windows is like a black box. If it just works, everything is great. On the other hand, if things don't "just work" you're screwed.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Of course, after rebooting for the twenty-seventh time it suddenly decides that the router it has been talking to for ages is indeed an actual gateway and that the internet really is right on the other side of it.

OMFG Windows is a bizarre beast.

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
I didn't read the article but I'd guess it just wasn't picking up the router as a default gateway when if got it's DHCP info.

Gilbo

Storage is cool
Actually, it was a manual IP config, and I had specifically set the gateway address so it should have been working. Who knows what was going on. Crazy Windows computers!

tazwegion

Learning Storage Performance
Mmmmm... I run a 98SE network through an XPpro ICS host, and sometimes experience that phonomenon... especially if the host has re-booted etc. takes time for the ICS to come 'on-line' so to speak :p

Windows IS indeed a strange beast :roll: