Noise Machinos

LOST6200

Storage is cool
Looks like i MAY BE MOVing to a difernt residence fr a few nmonths and I m concerned about the npoise levels. Streeets vehicels, upstarais movements and general facility stuff. Are hte nosie machines any good for this purpose and sllepign without drugs? I see a bunch of machones online. For eaxnmple this sems to be one o the top models. http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/marlif440.html

TIA, B.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My oldest brother SWEARS by similar devices. He gives them out to family members as birthday presents and the like. I've had them. I don't think they're that useful or helpful.

On the other hand, I sleep with a full (but nearly silent) desktop PC about about 15 inches from my head at night and I almost always have a fan on. I sleep for crap if there's not a computer on somewhere nearby; I've had one in my bedroom since I was about 15 years old.

ddrueding

Fixture
I need acutal quiet for sleep. Adding "soothing" noises doesn't work for me; my mind is always searching for patterns or analysing the sound in some way. I've found that doing whatever I can to deaden the sounds in a room was the most effective. Adding stuff to stop any kind of echo. Things of the kind I typically don't like; soft things, unnecissary things, obtrusive things. The only thing that I like that seems to work well are bodies...lots of them ;)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I used to need quiet to sleep, but lately I have been running a wall air conditioner or if it is not that hot I just run the fan. This kills most other noises that would bother me and the constant blowing doesn't seem to affect my sleep either.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
paugie said:
When I can't sleep for some reason, I go make some coffee.
Then I can sleep. Funny, but it's true

Decaf or Regular?

Maybe it is just the warm liquid that makes you fall asleep?

fb

Storage is cool
I've heard that coffee has some substance that helps you to go to sleep if you go to bed right after you drink it.

paugie

Storage is cool
timwhit said:
Decaf or Regular?
Maybe it is just the warm liquid that makes you fall asleep?

We always have regular. Decaf never caught on in this country.

Yup, I think that getting me warm inside is what does the trick. It also helps that I am a regular coffee drinker and have built up my tolerance to caffeine.

LOST6200

Storage is cool
i canot drink the coffee. Issue is not so much insomiacas, but waking due to nboisy ofr disdrubances.

paugie

Storage is cool
Well, the machine you linked to generates sounds which are supposed to relax a person into sleep or rest.

As to it "overpowering" the ordinary ambient noises in your neighborhood. It will be a matter or noise against noise, which may or may not be good, as decibel levels just "add up"

I have started to sleep in a noisy neighborhood about 6 weeks ago. It's a slum area and people walk back and forth at all hours, shouting, singing, even fighting, just outside our door. I've gotten used to it and can get a good night's sleep. I suppose you will also get used to it. I have watched movies where apartments are right next to e-Trains and they still are populated.

You will probably get used to it after a few nights. Maybe earplugs would help during those first times you want to get to sleep. They are a lot cheaper than the machine.