Non-widescreen LCD

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm looking to buy two non-widescreen LCDs. My desk is rather small so 19" is probably the largest I can fit comfortably.

I'd like to get something decent with an IPS panel and LED backlight, but I don't know if anyone makes something like this.

Any recommendations?

BingBangBop

Storage is cool
Even if your desk is small, sometimes you can get wide-screen monitors that rotate 90 degrees so the width is not excessive. Rotating a monitor is not generally useful but can be nice if you like/want/need to see a single page of text at a time. The proportions are just outright better, for that specific application, so there is a lot less wasted space and less scrolling than a standard 4:3.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
If it is indeed impossible to find a 19" 4x3 IPS monitor, I will be looking to buy an IPS LCD with a resolution of 1900x1200.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
If it is indeed impossible to find a 19" 4x3 IPS monitor, I will be looking to buy an IPS LCD with a resolution of 1900x1200.

1. 1280x1024 is 5x4
2. The thing you want to find are the high end model Dell Ultrasharp displays that were made circa 2006. They sold zillions of them. I have a classroom that has them, and they look infinitely better than the crappy HannsG displays I've been buying lately.

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
I thought you wanted two 19" displays? There are numerous 24" 1920x1200 monitors, both new and used.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
I haven't been able to find one - I think they stopped making them 5 or 6 years ago.

Is your heart set on dual monitors, and do they have to have big pixels like the 19" 5:4 monitors did?

If not consider the Dell Ultrasharp U2711 (although you'd want a better price than that). That has the same number of pixels across as two 19" 5:4 monitors, as well as 40% more lines. Text will be smaller before scaling though.

If you just want big, get a suitable 32" Full HD TV. That has 75% of the pixels across as two 19" 5:4 monitors and 5% more lines.

Alternatively, try three 21.5-23" monitors rotated into portrait mode. They probably won't take up that much more space than two 19" 5:4 monitors.

OR buy two of the cheap Dell 24" you linked to and use one or both in portrait mode. They have the advantage of 1200 lines compared to the 1080 norm, so will give you a more useful 1200 pixels across in portrait mode.

ddrueding

Fixture
time has some fine suggestions. I can personally second the U2711, as I went from a pair of 21" to that and it has worked great. Particularly if you are using Windows 7 and can use the "Win+Left" and "Win+Right" shortcuts.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I haven't been able to find one - I think they stopped making them 5 or 6 years ago.

Is your heart set on dual monitors, and do they have to have big pixels like the 19" 5:4 monitors did?

If not consider the Dell Ultrasharp U2711 (although you'd want a better price than that). That has the same number of pixels across as two 19" 5:4 monitors, as well as 40% more lines. Text will be smaller before scaling though.

If you just want big, get a suitable 32" Full HD TV. That has 75% of the pixels across as two 19" 5:4 monitors and 5% more lines.

Alternatively, try three 21.5-23" monitors rotated into portrait mode. They probably won't take up that much more space than two 19" 5:4 monitors.

OR buy two of the cheap Dell 24" you linked to and use one or both in portrait mode. They have the advantage of 1200 lines compared to the 1080 norm, so will give you a more useful 1200 pixels across in portrait mode.

I like working on two monitors, but I am not set on it. I think I'd rather have smaller pixels. The Dell Ultrasharp U2711 does look quite nice, but I don't think I can spend that much right now.

I think I might just settle for one Dell Ultrasharp U2412M and if I decide it's not enough workspace I can add another one later.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie