Nvidia’s GTX 1080 and GTX 1070 revealed: Faster than Titan X at half the price

CougTek

Serial computer killer
I just want two for a really fast gaming experience.

Ddrueding: "WHERE'S THE WALLET!!! HURRY!"

Ddrueding's wife: "David, what's going on? Why are you shouting and so agitated?"

Ddrueding: "I NEED THE CREDIT CARD, NOW! IT'S A LIFE OR DEATH MATTER."

Ddureding's wife: "What happened? What's the emergency?"

Ddrueding: "I MUST GET TWO NEW GRAPHIC CARDS AND I HAVE TO START GAMING RIGHT FUCKING NOW!"

LunarMist

I can't believe I'm a Fixture
Ddrueding: "WHERE'S THE WALLET!!! HURRY!"

Ddrueding's wife: "David, what's going on? Why are you shouting and so agitated?"

Ddrueding: "I NEED THE CREDIT CARD, NOW! IT'S A LIFE OR DEATH MATTER."

Ddureding's wife: "What happened? What's the emergency?"

Ddrueding: "I MUST GET TWO NEW GRAPHIC CARDS AND I HAVE TO START GAMING RIGHT FUCKING NOW!"

:salut: :rofl:

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
I had a video card with a fan once and the fan slowed down after a few years, cooking it. Since then I try to avoid the fans.
Are we simply doomed by the inefficiency of the semiconductors?
Sort of how I feel but nowadays integrated graphics are fine for the vast majority of users. I would imagine if we designed cases and motherboards so the heat-generating components could be connected to a huge, passive heat sink on back of the case we wouldn't need fans.

Stereodude

Not really a
Wasn't that much of a hurry, it was nearly 30 hours from me noticing they were for sale and failing to purchase them. ;)
They were available for sale a lot earlier than that. People (not reviewers) got their cards earlier in the week already.

ddrueding

Fixture
Does that still limit the CPU to four cores and four memory slots?

Yup. You would probably want to be running an nVidia Quadro card, but the last one of those to be fanless was (IIRC) the NVS 295. That thing is old.

I bet a lower-end latest-generation card could be modified to fanless-ness pretty easily (K1200 is only 45W), but that might be outside your comfort zone.

LunarMist

Oh well. I'll keep what fanless thing I have for now, but my monitor is really dying out.
It's looking like I would have to get a 2560 x 1440 and see it there is some way to cut off the sides.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
It's looking like I would have to get a 2560 x 1440 and see it there is some way to cut off the sides.

If you can live with a 24" monitor, HP has already taken care of cuting off the sides for you : Z24nq.

In short :
  • 2560x1440
  • IPS
  • 8ms response time
  • HDMI, miniDP, DP, DVI, and a USB 3.0 hub
  • factory-calibrated RGB color

300$ at the moment.

LunarMist

If you can live with a 24" monitor, HP has already taken care of cuting off the sides for you : Z24nq.

In short :
  • 2560x1440
  • IPS
  • 8ms response time
  • HDMI, miniDP, DP, DVI, and a USB 3.0 hub
  • factory-calibrated RGB color

300$ at the moment.

No, I mean reducing the width compared to the height. The 16:9 is awful for viewing. I'd like to make the edges black.

LunarMist

These problems would go away if they'd just make at least a few 5:4 or 4:3 panels.

Squarish panels nowadays are almost always reserved for special purposes like medical or aerospace. Typically costs are very high and they are not necessarily good for photos.

LunarMist

Rotate 90-degrees. Problem more than solved ;)

No, that's even worse. I'd like about 2:3. My 5:8 display is as short as I can handle.
Do the fancy video cards allow for any image size you want or is a hacker needed to do that?

ddrueding

Fixture
To get what (I think) you are after will require two things.

1. The monitor to support a "1:1" mode, where it doesn't try to stretch or scale the image to fill the screen.
2. A video card capable of displaying the resolution you want. Most will do this, but finding where in their driver to add a custom resolution might take a quick internet search.