Nvidia G80 details revealed

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
The Inquirer has lots of details regarding the upcoming release of Nvidia's G80: Nvidia's G80 innards exposed

Some of the highlights:

8800GTX is Nvidia's flagship implementation. It features a fully fledged G80 chip clocked at 575MHz. Inside the GPU, there are 128 scalar Shader units clocked at 1.35GHz and raw Shader power is around 520GFLOPS. 768MB clocked at 900MHz DDR producing a memory BW of 86.4 GB/s. Recommended retail price is 599 or dollars/euros, or 399 pounds.

there are two power connectors; two new SLI MIO connectors; two dual-link DVIs; and one HDTV 7-pin out with HDMI 1.3 support

Cooling will be from an alluminium/copper heat pipe with fan.

8800GTS is a smaller brother of the GTX. The G80 chip is the same as on the GTX, but the amount of wiring has been cut, so you have the 320-bit memory controller instead of 384-bit, 96 Shader units instead of 128 and 20 pixels per clock instead of 24. The clocks have been set at 500MHz for the GPU, 1.2GHz for Shader Units, while the 640MB of memory has been clocked down to 800MHz DDR producing a bandwidth of 64GB/s. Recommended retail price is 399 dollars/euros.

one 6-pin PEG power connector; Dual-Link DVI; 7-pin HDTV

Performance is CPU Bound
Yes, you've read it correctly. Both GTS and GTX are maxing out the CPUs of today, and even Kentsfield and upcoming 4x4 will not have enough CPU to max out the graphics card – G80 chip just eats up all the processing power that a CPU can provide to them.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
I'd just like to point out that the two power connectors for the big version of this GPU are 12V molex connectors, not PCIE power connectors.

Good thing we got those weird new connectors on our power supplies, that can't even manage to keep up with the third generation of hardware that might theoretically be attached to them.

Personally, I'm blaming nVidia for global warming.

And you know there's some dumbass out there looking to buy an Alienware/Velocity Micro/Falcon Northwest system with four G80s.
And he'll be able to in six months.

P5-133XL

Xmas '97
I find it interesting that Nvidia is shooting themselves in their SLI feet, with CPU bound video cards.

Stereodude

Not really a
I guess they don't care about selling people two $599 video cards... I don't get why you guys think this is a bad thing.