Nvidia's Titan X is coming soon.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
Nvidia's Titan X is coming soon.

From [H]ardOCP..."It looks like NVIDIA had another trick up its sleeved for GDC 2015. During Tim Sweeney's State of Unreal talk this morning, Jen-Hsun Huang strolled onto the stage with a Titan X claiming it is the "most advanced GPU the world's ever seen," with 8B transistors and 12GB of memory. We'll bring you more info as it comes available."

Anandtech blurb here. We don't know all the specs yet, but it will be a monster with a monster price tag. I'm guessing $1250'ish.

sedrosken

Florida Man
Yikes. No thank you, I'm not dancing this dance today!

I have to say that I'd be surprised if the asking price was anything below $1250, as you said. But I imagine that to someone that can use it, it'd be worth it.

Also, I will probably never be able to use flagship hardware to its full potential. All I do is light gaming and stuff that normal people do on their computers. Except for using Visual Studio 2013. I actually do plan to learn Visual C++, probably sometime this summer when I've got the free time.

Last edited:

ddrueding

Fixture
Not that I'm wanting for GPU power at the moment, but I'm wondering how it compares to the 2x Titan or 2x 290X I'm running at the moment.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
3x the RAM vs. a 980 with roughly 50% more compute power at slightly lower clock frequency and memory timing. I'm not sure how impressive that really is given the price.

jtr1962

Storage? I am Storage!
Yikes. No thank you, I'm not dancing this dance today!

I have to say that I'd be surprised if the asking price was anything below $1250, as you said. But I imagine that to someone that can use it, it'd be worth it.
I'm in the same boat. I think we're at the state where the integrated GPU in most processors is adequate for 99% of the population. Certainly I haven't found myself wanting for more graphics power with my A10-5800K APU. Well, maybe marginally when I get into a scenery intensive area with train sims, but not enough for a dedicated GPU.

CougTek

Serial computer killer
Not that I'm wanting for GPU power at the moment, but I'm wondering how it compares to the 2x Titan or 2x 290X I'm running at the moment.
You need to update your signature ; it still shows 2x GTX690.

It is important to us so we can follow the life of the rich and famous.

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
You need to update your signature ; it still shows 2x GTX690.

It is important to us so we can follow the life of the rich and famous.

Been hearing some "rumors"/forum chit-chat that the Titan X might only be $1000 after all because the DP performance has been reduced vs original Titan/Titan Black. Probably to keep people buying even more expensive high-end workstation Quadro cards instead of Titans.

Then again the original Titan might have generated some business from people who couldn't afford/justify a "real" workstation card but could use some extra horsepower for their apps/projects. So maybe Nvidia will nerf "some" of the DP performance but keep enough to lure those on the margins in. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

If the Titan X is "only" $1000 I'll probably buy one. Just because. And it will be my one "that was dumb" purchase for 2015. But I will lovingly caress the box it comes in. And tell her how much I love her before I stick it into my machine.

Handruin

Administrator
Been hearing some "rumors"/forum chit-chat that the Titan X might only be $1000 after all because the DP performance has been reduced vs original Titan/Titan Black. Probably to keep people buying even more expensive high-end workstation Quadro cards instead of Titans.

Then again the original Titan might have generated some business from people who couldn't afford/justify a "real" workstation card but could use some extra horsepower for their apps/projects. So maybe Nvidia will nerf "some" of the DP performance but keep enough to lure those on the margins in. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

If the Titan X is "only" $1000 I'll probably buy one. Just because. And it will be my one "that was dumb" purchase for 2015. But I will lovingly caress the box it comes in. And tell her how much I love her before I stick it into my machine.

If you don't need the 12GB memory why not got GTX 980 SLI and have a faster setup for less money? That was my "that was dumb" purchase for the year. :)

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
If you don't need the 12GB memory why not got GTX 980 SLI and have a faster setup for less money? That was my "that was dumb" purchase for the year. :)

That would be smart. But I would still need a "that was dumb" purchase. I never messed around with SLI and have no desire to do start.

Handruin

Administrator
I had never messed with SLI until now and so far it has been seamless/transparent. The only hiccup I've noticed is after updating drivers the software reverts back to non-SLI mode. After a click of a button it's back enabled. Also, no issue with F@H either. Regardless, I get your point. If you do end up getting the Titan X, any chance you'd want to put it to work folding for SF? ;-)

snowhiker

Storage Freak Apprentice
I had never messed with SLI until now and so far it has been seamless/transparent. The only hiccup I've noticed is after updating drivers the software reverts back to non-SLI mode. After a click of a button it's back enabled. Also, no issue with F@H either. Regardless, I get your point. If you do end up getting the Titan X, any chance you'd want to put it to work folding for SF? ;-)

The newest multi-GPU tech from both companies is super easy to set up. In the past it wasn't, but I haven't had issues in years.

I agree that SLI is a lot easier to setup now-a-days and even I could figure it out, but it's just not something I really need, at least until I get a 4k monitor. I just don't game enough to justify any purchase of that magnitude. I was just getting caught up in the excitement.

I should save the cash for my DSLR purchase.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The newest multi-GPU tech from both companies is super easy to set up. In the past it wasn't, but I haven't had issues in years.

As I understand things, you can even do asynchronous load-sharing. You don't even have to match the GPUs for connected hardware any more.

ddrueding

Fixture
Nope. Frankly, I'd consider them my competition on that end of the market. I just sell Lenovos to most of my customers, but on the really high-end I still build myself. My markup is roughly in-line with them, but their fit and finish looks quite impressive (provided their customer units look like the videos).

ddrueding

Fixture
Titan X arriving April 10. Not sure whether I'll keep it or sell it in a gaming rig, but availability is likely still going to be tricky. Might be some margin there.