OEM Vista Business Downgrade to XP What-tha?

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I got tired of Vista Ultimate and decided I wanted to go back to XP. I have two legit OEM copies of Vista Business and heard you can downgrade to Vista. All that's required is you load up XP Pro (use any CD-key you might have), and call M$ to activate over the phone. I did that and, much to my surprise, they activated my XP without even asking for my Vista Business CD-key. I asked the tech if it was needed and he said 'no'. WTF?

Now...I'm concerned. The CD-key I used to load up XP was the key that was used for my dad's legitimate XP Pro installation. I thought I could use any old key that was available. Now that my machine is activated, do you guys think my Dad's machine will start getting flagged by WGA that it's an invalid installation?

Thanks,
C

ddrueding

Fixture
I got tired of Vista Ultimate and decided I wanted to go back to XP. I have two legit OEM copies of Vista Business and heard you can downgrade to Vista. All that's required is you load up XP Pro (use any CD-key you might have), and call M$ to activate over the phone. I did that and, much to my surprise, they activated my XP without even asking for my Vista Business CD-key. I asked the tech if it was needed and he said 'no'. WTF?

Now...I'm concerned. The CD-key I used to load up XP was the key that was used for my dad's legitimate XP Pro installation. I thought I could use any old key that was available. Now that my machine is activated, do you guys think my Dad's machine will start getting flagged by WGA that it's an invalid installation?

Thanks,
C

Tannin reported the same result 8+ months ago on these forums. I wouldn't be surprised. Unless a key is used hundreds (thousands?) of times, I'm sure it won't go invalid on WGA. I have experienced a single key be used 110+ times without issue.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
Thanks. That's reassuring. Appreciate your feedback!

Kevin

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
The answer is resoundingly "no."
They just don't keep track. Or care in the slightest. They're probably just happy you called, instead of pirating or misusing an XP Volume license disc like a sensible person would.

Anyway, yes, I have done this and been just as shocked.

This also means that you can actually use those legit Vista Business keys someplace else. Not legally, but exactly how the hell would Microsoft know?

The other one that's hilarious to me is when I run out of MSDN activations for something. I just call and ask for more and they say "OK" with no questions asked.

Clocker

Storage? I am Storage!
I guess they figure if you are willing to call and give your name & phone number, you're probably are a legitimate user..

MaxBurn

Storage Is My Life
I guess they figure if you are willing to call and give your name & phone number, you're probably are a legitimate user..

Maybe. Also I think they got so much kickback and random hostility from activation that they are very lenient, just call in and if it isn't blatant they will activate it for you. My XP license has been on three different motherboard/CPU/VPU combinations no questions asked over like ten activations.

Way back when I worked at BBY when I called they sometimes asked for a reason, usually it was a motherboard replacement if it failed on line in the first place and had to call. Sounds like even this little practice has fallen aside.

ddrueding

Fixture
I've put in three calls in the last week. The only questions asked were "Is this your first time activating this product" and "How many machines is this installed on?".