Office Chair

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I am looking for a new office chair. I have had the same chair for about 7 years and it is starting to fall apart pretty badly.

I would like to get something with a metal frame as it seems this would last longer/not break as easily.

My budget is in the $200-300 range.

Here is one option, I have sat in this chair before, and it is fairly comfortable. I have no idea if it would fall apart in 2 years though. Anyone have a specific brand or chair that they like a lot?

ddrueding

Fixture
I go through high-back leather office chairs about every 3 years. The one I have now I bought from OfficeMax 3 years ago for about $100. It has no labelling on it, so I can't reccomend an exact model, but it's by far my favorite. I've been looking for a second identical one for my GF, but I may hold out and get a Aeron instead. I love those things; two jobs I've had included them, and they are fantastic.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I sat on an Aeron for one day at my last job and it killed my back. I messed with the controls to try to get it comfortable, but I just couldn't find a good way to set it to make it work for me.

I don't know why it is so hard to find an office chair that has a sturdy metal frame without spending $500+.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
Yeah, I understand your point. But, I am convinced that I can find something better this time. I might end up increasing my budget. But, I am still looking for recommendations if anyone has any.

time

Storage? I am Storage!
As a rule, office chairs are not sprung, so the seat's foam padding takes the entire load. Much of the manufacturing cost in a good chair will be the foam. It's the first area in which makers cut costs and the resulting shortcomings may not be obvious until you've used the chair for a while.

A good chair cushion will be multi-layered (at least two graduated stiffness levels) and weight is probably a fair guide to quality. To my cost, I've discovered that what seems adequate as a component may prove to be hopelessly inadequate once installed in a chair. If you can touch bottom by pressing down on the cushion with your hand, it's probably not much good.

I don't know if there's much point looking for a particular brand - most chairs are assembled from off-the-shelf components (including the metal frame) and you may not get the same configuration again anyway.

The success or otherwise of back support varies wildly from model to model. You definitely need to hang out in a showroom for an hour or so to get some idea.

Chairs with at least four separate adjustments (seat height, seat tilt, back rake and back height) are likely to be a better chance. However, check that there is enough travel in each adjustment to suit you; there may be too much forward tilt or the back may be too close to your butt.

fb

Storage is cool
Kinnarps might be worth a look if they sell them somewhere in your area. But they're most likely outside of $300. But I've had my (I think it's a 6000-series) for at least 7-8 years now and it's almost like new and I've never sat in a more comfortable office chair.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
I sat on an Aeron for one day at my last job and it killed my back. I messed with the controls to try to get it comfortable, but I just couldn't find a good way to set it to make it work for me..

The problem with the Herman Miller chairs is that they're Surpisingly Uncomfortable(TM). There are a half dozen or so controls to adjust it, they break easily, and it take forever to get them just right. This is too say, they're too complicated and have a tendency to break before you get them just right.

I tend to go the path of whatever is cheapest this week at the office supply stores. I don't spend much over $50 and get a new chair every few years. They're like inkjets, but with no consumables.

Handruin

Administrator
The flip side to "new chair every few year" is disposing of them. Big and bulky things aren't the easiest for everyone to throw away. For some it requires a trip to the dump and that is a pain. I still fall into this category except I've yet to throw away the old chair...

For me, I've been using chairs from staples (situations) and they aren't anything super fancy, but have lasted for 3 years now and are fairly comfortable for me. They're starting to become uncomfortable on the seat bottom. I may venture out to find a new chair after tax return time.

Bozo

Storage? I am Storage!
The best bet is to actually go to a store and sit in them. Everyones derriere is different. Lombar support is important too.
Take your time making the decission. Getting a sore back or cramps after an hour or so in the chair will negate the low price.

Bozo :joker:

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The flip side to "new chair every few year" is disposing of them. Big and bulky things aren't the easiest for everyone to throw away. For some it requires a trip to the dump and that is a pain.

Throw away? That's the kind of talk that causes crazy weather.

As long as they're still serviceable, chairs get cycled down to other locations where no one tends to sit for extended periods. Then a post on Craigslist (or, now, Freecycle) gets some person with space on a vehicle the chair for free. It continues on in some slightly more abused fashion....

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I still haven't found a chair I want. But, now I am getting desperate, a piece of metal that holds the chair to the base is cracked and now I am sitting at about a 10% angle to the right. Not comfortable. Especially since I have to sit here and work on this freelance project the whole weekend.

Office chairs really are crap. It's not like I weigh 400lbs, I clock in at about 160lbs (72kg). Why can't these things hold up any better?

I think I might have to go and get something spur of the moment, before I go crazy and throw this thing out of my 9th story window.

Nitsirk

What is this storage?
Yeah, I understand your point. But, I am convinced that I can find something better this time. I might end up increasing my budget. But, I am still looking for recommendations if anyone has any.

I just bought a new chair a few months ago. I sat in every chair in the store from 50 to 350 dollars and was pleasantly surprised that the most comfy one was only 100 bucks.

Everyone is different so its best if you can go sit in a bunch of them. I shop for most everything I buy online. I hate shopping in real stores. The exception to this is furniture. You must sit in the chair, lay on the mattress, put your feet up on the couch, etc etc. If you spend as much time in your chair as I do, the few hours at the store will be well worth it.

Handruin

Administrator
I had the same problem with couches as I do with office chairs. I can sit on 100 of them and not find one I really like. Even if I made price not a factor (which it is), I have a hard time finding anything in the expensive chairs. Likely when I move in the next decade, I'll be on a similar search for a new office chair. Right now I have an old pillow to put on top of it because the padding is dead. Makes for a very uncomfortable chair.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm actually in the process of sending my Tempurpedic mattress back. It's not as comfortable as I would have thought given the hype; and the lack of springs negatively impacts my social agenda ;)

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I'm actually in the process of sending my Tempurpedic mattress back. It's not as comfortable as I would have thought given the hype; and the lack of springs negatively impacts my social agenda ;)

Did you order it off the TeeVee? Do you have to pay return shipping costs?

Pradeep

Storage? I am Storage!

I thought you were attached? Can't beat the motion of a waterbed.

ddrueding

Fixture
I ordered it online, so I got a 90-day refund guarante. They are charging $100 for return shipping, but delivery was included, so it all works out. Waterbeds provide motion, but you don't have control over the motion, so it's only really good for lazy lovers.

I am attached, but that doesn't mean we stopped going at it. ;)

Handruin

Administrator
Many of the newer water beds have baffles in them to keep you from floating along like you might think.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
My "computer chairs" are just old, coffee-stained, no-adjustment-having meeting-room chairs. They don't even roll.

But I can spend 20 hours in one and at the end of that time I'm still comfortable, which is more than I can say for some chairs I've been in over the years.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
I ended up ordering this from a local store.

They were asking $240 for it, but I said I saw it on their website (horribly outdated, price was still $200 on the website) and they sold it to me for $200.

Maybe they should update, that. Good for me though...

It seems pretty comfortable, but I only sat in it for about 5-10 minutes. I just hope it will last for more than 5 years.

ddrueding

Fixture
Looks good, metal and bungee...It will be solid until it fails (catastrophically), so you won't need to worry about procrastination when it comes time to replace it ;)

I like the design; but I need a "high back" chair, one that I can rest my head on (I'm 6'3").

Fushigi

Storage Is My Life
The Aeron chairs are very comfortable but you do need to adjust them first. Earlier ones without the "Y" lumbar support broke easily; the Y ones seem to be a lot better. They're finicky but very nice once set up properly.

That said, IMO they're too expensive for the home office.

When we upgraded to the Aerons at work they let us buy our old chairs for $25. They're Steelcase and the framing and arm supports are actual steel are feel very strong and durable. After having one at the office for about 5 years my chair had barely any wear signs at all. The models are similar to http://www.steelcase.com/na/criterion_products.aspx?f=11848 .

I see you already ordered your chair but in the future you might check places that re-sell used office furniture.

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
The chair you linked to looks like it goes for about $800. If you got it for $25, that is a hell of a deal even after used for 5 years.

CougTek

Hairy Aussie
Firefox savagedly upgraded itself without asking for permission while I was composing my reply. Quite frustrating...

Back to what I was writing...

At 6'2'' and 160lbs, it's no wonder you can't find a chair you're confortable on...you're sitting on your bones. Try using cycling shorts with padding on the ass, that might help. Doing some squat and leg press could improve your rear padding problem too. Just a hint : when you sit on a wood chair and you hear "clunk" at the moment your rear makes contact, it might be a sign that you're possibly too, hummm...fit. ;-)

I'll have to change my office chair soon too. My current one has been disabled into pieces several time (without the use of a screwdriver). It's a miracle it still holds together. And the arm rests are now loose. Next time I lose my temper and decide its a suitable target, it will be its swan song. I'll probably go for something like this :

ca630828_1_std.jpg

200$CAN, not too bad. If I can find a leather version for not much more, that'll be even better.

The seat padding on the one linked by our local speed demon seems to be lacking or maybe the picture just isn't good.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm 6'3" and 180, but muscle development in the region required is actually a bit excessive. I've never had issues with seat padding.

e_dawg

Storage Freak
I've heard good things about the ErgoHuman and Eurotech chairs.

http://www.beyondtheofficedoor.com/ergonomic-office-chair.php

Some say they compete with the high-end ergonomic chairs (Herman Miller Aeron and Mirra, Steelcase Leap, and Humanscale Liberty and Freedom .... basically, these are the top-reviewed chairs of the last decade). Here's a link to a good meta-review:

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/office/office-chairs/index.html

Myself, I just ordered a HM Aeron w/ Posture-Fit adjustable sacro-lumbar support for home. I tried it out a dozen chairs at a specialty back-care store and found it to be the best overall compromise. I was torn between the Aeron and the Mirra (the younger brother of the Aeron, so to speak). I liked how the Mirra had a higher back that did not slope rearward as much at the top, so as to provide more support around the shoulder area... but overall it wasn't as comfortable as the Aeron.

At work, I have been using the Steelcase Leap chair for a couple months, and find it to be pretty good, but not great. I like the glide/recline system where the seat bottom moves forward while the back reclines; the flexible back is pretty neat; and the omni-adjustable arms are good too. But for some reason, it's not as comfortable as it could be for me...

I guess we'll see how I like it after a couple months, as that's really the only way to tell how good a chair is. You can't really tell by sitting in a chair for 20 minutes here and there.

ddrueding

Fixture
Chairs arrived today, haven't assembled them yet.

I'm really disappointed in the vinyl chair mats I got at OfficeMax. I have a medium depth carpet, and the chair "settles" quite easily and requires some effort to move again. I'm looking at these glass chair mats as a solution.

I'll need a custom one, as my desk requires a 96"x60" rolling surface.

Thoughts?

Nitsirk

What is this storage?
I'm really disappointed in the vinyl chair mats I got at OfficeMax. I have a medium depth carpet, and the chair "settles" quite easily and requires some effort to move again.

I absolutely hate those vinyl chair mats at OfficeMax. They don't last long at all before they start cracking and splitting and they make a mess when they start falling apart. Ridiculous. (and I only weigh 115 lbs so that isn't the problem) I have not found a better solution but if you do, please post. I'd love to hear it.

Mercutio

Fatwah on Western Digital
In the past I've used rubber-backed runners (long carpets with rubber beneath). I'm a big guy and I can roll a chair on those, with carpet underneath, just fine.
I don't like the vinyl things either.

sechs

Storage? I am Storage!
The issue, I've found with the hard chairmats is that (1) you need to get one appropriate for your carpet and (2) they don't do well outside a relatively narrow range of temperatures. They love to crack on high pile carpets and when it's cool.

ddrueding

Fixture
I'm looking at these glass chair mats as a solution.

I'll need a custom one, as my desk requires a 96"x60" rolling surface.

I got a (very prompt) response from the owner of the company, saying that for my needs it would have to be two parts. Total including shipping was ~$750, and total weight was ~130lbs. The GFAF* is too low, so now I'm looking at either wood or polycarbonate.

*girlfriend acceptance factor

timwhit

Hairy Aussie
From personal experience, a rolling chair will destroy hardwood floor in a matter of months. Just something to keep in mind if you care about the appearance of the "chairmat".